Top 10 all-time favourite movies

Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Dune, Blue Velvet, Wild At Heart and Twin Peaks are all varying degrees of greatness to me, I'm not an uber-fan or anything but I dig the guy.

Oh, I forgot about Eraserhead. I've heard good things about that one.

I'm not into movies as much as I am music though, so it's harder for me to sit down and marathon a bunch of movies I haven't seen. I also don't talk about cinema a lot in general as a result. I have a core group of 6-8 movies I really love and then I'll usually watch whatever is on cable if I'm really bored or just find something on Netflix new to watch.

That's fair enough, if movies aren't your thing I could definitely see how Lynch would get on your nerves.
What are your 6-8 movies by the way? Did you post them in here?

The Big Lebowski
Terminator 2
Serpico
Ace Ventura (The 1st one!)
LOTR trilogy
Star Trek: First Contact

I own about 20 or so movies though. Mainly stuff like Pulp Fiction and Blow and such.

All great choices, I do believe in variety but honestly, a good reliable bunch of anything usually does the job in the end.

All great choices, I do believe in variety but honestly, a good reliable bunch of anything usually does the job in the end.

I have a 'to watch' list that is numerous. I would like to watch more movies, but there are other things I'd rather do like play drums, play video games, write, read, etc.

Oh, I forgot about Eraserhead. I've heard good things about that one.

I'm not into movies as much as I am music though, so it's harder for me to sit down and marathon a bunch of movies I haven't seen. I also don't talk about cinema a lot in general as a result. I have a core group of 6-8 movies I really love and then I'll usually watch whatever is on cable if I'm really bored or just find something on Netflix new to watch.

Eraserhead is so fucking out there. Entirely different stratosphere than a rather simple flick in Mulholland Drive. Blue Velvet, first season and concluding 2nd of Twin Peaks, Lost Highway are superb. Wasn't all that impressed with Elephant Man but i'll give it another go, one day.

Everything I've seen from David Lynch is nothing but tripe and an exercise in egomania. I have heard, however, that this movie is probably the best thing he did from several people. I'll check it out eventually but I'm still reluctant that I'll waste 2 hours of my life watching it.

Actually more than 2 hours. I remember I had to take a few short breaks during the movie. Some movies are just torture.. so brace yourself.

and it's worth nothing that people who enjoy David Lynch's movies are equivalent to people who enjoy Beherit and summoning on these boards, lol.

Wild at Heart is an interesting one in that its one of his more straightforward from a narrative standpoint and yet its still one of his most divisive. I've heard people say they love Inland Empire for example, easily Lynch's most inaccessible, yet can't stand Wild at Heart. I think a lot of that has to do with its abrupt changes in tone. It can go from frivolous and funny to jarringly violent in a matter of seconds. Even some of the violent scenes have a comic bend to them which puts a lot of people off.

I'm sure Nick Cage and his Elvis shtick grates a lot of peoples nerves as well as Laura Dern's exaggerated southern accent but that's a major part of the films charm. Cage owns that role and has the Elvis voice and mannerisms down to a science. You know it really is him singing those songs? Its Dafoe though who steals the film. He's not even in it for that long but his impression makes up for his limited screen time.

I love how when it took the top prize at Cannes the boos were louder than the cheers in some sections. Pure polarization. Its random as fuck and thoroughly psychotic ("Fuck me now Reggie!"). I fucking love it.

I dig the Star Trek movies too much for my own good, in all honesty. Haha.

I mean, I believe that even the worst ST movies are better than most movies (Final Frontier aside, that one fucking blows)... but I say I enjoy them too much because I can't really throw oN A Star Trek movie at a party. They're not really beer-drinking movies I can throw on with the bros, because everyone I know hates them. Lmao.

The Big Lebowski
Terminator 2
Serpico
Ace Ventura (The 1st one!)
LOTR trilogy
Star Trek: First Contact

I own about 20 or so movies though. Mainly stuff like Pulp Fiction and Blow and such.

Good list.

david lynch is widely accepted in the mainstream and actually probably the most critically acclaimed director of the past couple decades, so that analogy doesn't really hold at all now does it?

the big 5 lynch creations for me are ERASERHEAD, TWIN PEAKS S1, WILD AT HEART, MULHOLLAND DRIVE, INLAND EMPIRE, in no particular order. i really really like everything else too though (THE ELEPHANT MAN is the weakest, aside from maybe DUNE which i haven't seen).

and it's worth nothing that people who enjoy David Lynch's movies are equivalent to people who enjoy Beherit and summoning on these boards, lol.

So they have good taste in movies and music? Cool.

Reactions: Onder
(THE ELEPHANT MAN is the weakest, aside from maybe DUNE which i haven't seen).
I think Lynch is his own worst critic in regards to Dune. Whenever its brought up he always says the same thing, that he considers it a failure because he didn't have final cut and feels he sold out because he knew he wasn't going to get final cut during production. Personally I find his assessment to be a bit harsh because its far from terrible, in fact I'd says its very, very good. At the same time however, even if he got final cut I still think he'd say epic sci-fi just wasn't for him.

If I had to rank Lynch's films:

Lost Highway
Inland Empire
Mulholland Drive
Blue Velvet
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Wild at Heart
Eraserhead
The Elephant Man
Dune
The Straight Story

The Straight Story, while a brilliantly acted and technically flawless film, just isn't the type of material I go for which is why its at the bottom. To be honest, Blue Velvet and Fire Walk With Me can switch places at any given time too.