Top 10 favourite doom metal records

It took me a while longet to get into Vol1, and I absolutely adore it, but honesly, I don't think there's anything on it that can top the "Armageddon" trillogy on LoH, or March of the Dead.

Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet
Skapticism - Ethere
Candlemass - Epicus
Candlemass - Nightfall
Solitude Aeturnus - Beyond the Crimson Horizon (the only one I've heard form these guys, but I love it!)
Katatonia - Discouraged Ones (Not strictly doom, but I know so little about this genre, that I'll include it anyway)
Anathema - Eternity (Should I be embarrassed about this?)
Evoken - Quietus
Saturnus - For the Loveless Lonely Nights
My Dying bride - As the Flowers Wither

Depends on what you call doom, but this would make a good list methinks (no order)

ELECTRIC WIZARD - Dopethrone
ACID KING - Busse Woods
REVEREND BIZARRE - In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend
SOLITUDE AETERNUS - Into the Depths of Sorrow
CATHEDRAL - Forest of Equilbrium
THERGOTHON - Stream From the Heavens
AARNI - Bathos
ANATHEMA - The Silent Enigma
VOID OF SILENCE - Human Antithesis
UMBRA NIHIL - Gnoia

^^ nicely done with the umbral nihl and aarni :kickass: anyhow:

Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet
Skepticism - Lead & Aether
Unholy - gracefallen
Unholy - Rapture
Katatonia - Dance of december souls
Asunder - A clarion call
Panthiest - Amartia
Aarni - Bathos
Mournful congregation - Monad of creation
Estatic fear - Somnium obmutum

The Metamorphogenesis album is like going through the hallways of a mental institution 2 miles in the air tripped out in the dark. Every now and then you reach a part of the hallway with glass windows where sunrays flood in and you can see an amazing sunset in the distance. It's pretty good :loco:

spikes77 said:
The Metamorphogenesis album is like going through the hallways of a mental institution 2 miles in the air tripped out in the dark. Every now and then you reach a part of the hallway with glass windows where sunrays flood in and you can see an amazing sunset in the distance. It's pretty good :loco:

Wow. Good way with words. It's my favorite Esoteric album. But, seriously, I wouldn't say it's Doom Metal.

Crimson Velvet said:
Katatonia - Discouraged Ones (Not strictly doom, but I know so little about this genre, that I'll include it anyway)
Anathema - Eternity (Should I be embarrassed about this?)

While definitely not doom musically, the Katatonia is often considered their most depressing release, so don't be embarrassed about that one either...as for the Anathema, it has the marks of an uneven trasnitional album but songs like Eternity pt.1, Radiance, & Far Away are nothing to be ashamed by...

spikes77 said:

Wow that description makes me want to buy it this minute and hump your leg :oops:

not sure about my list but:

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Pentagram - Day of Reckoning
Count Raven - Destruction of the Void
Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory
Pentagram - First Daze Here (doom rock and not a collection of singles/rehearsals, but not many doom full lengths are better than this)

note the serious lack of Trouble/St Vitus/Solstice/Solitude Aeternus/etc :erk:

:lol: i've been listening to it a lot more lately and have started to enjoy it more. also, i don't own enough doom albums to make a decent top 10 and can't remember most of the ones i used to listen to when i downloaded albums like crazy.

somehow i missed the great atmosphere on In the Rectory... the first few times I listened to it. go figure.