Top 40 Albums of 2009

I doubt you can fully appreciate Lifelover without understanding of the Swedish language. I wouldn't say that goes for all bands with lyrics in foreign languages, but it does for Lifelover.
Well, it is possible to find their lyrics in English. I could imagine that some things are lost in translation, but...

Coalesce, Converge and Baroness and their entire genre

(whatever the fuck that is, srsly it sounds like complete unadulterated shit... the guitar tone, the dumbass shouting vocals...everything)

...all fucking suck.

But Baroness being number one mystifies me...

As I said, these guys and other magazines seem to be fucking Baroness fanboys.

The red album was top five a couple years ago, when it was released (also on Decibel). They are a decent band, but seriously overhyped in my opinion.

2007 Top five (decibel):

1 - Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Antre Monde
2 - A Life Onced Lost - Iron Gag
3 - Architecht - All is not Lost
4 - Baroness - Red Album
5 - Bergraven - Dodsvisioner

Baroness is actually pretty great. I would almost definitely put The Red Album in the top 10 of 2007, but it was better than The Blue Record, which would probably end up in the mid-teens for me. Definitely not a #1.

Well, it is possible to find their lyrics in English. I could imagine that some things are lost in translation, but...

I find their songs in English aren't anywhere near as powerful as those in Swedish (I don't think it has anything to do with me having a preference for Swedish, English is actually the preferred language of my mind) so I can imagine that something is in fact lost in translation.

If you don't think Converge is absolutely awesome then just give up now, you'll never get it. EASILY one of the best bands of all time.

Edit: one thing that list got very right is putting Paradise Lost WAY above the Katatonia. I'd personally put the new Katatonia at #40 and the new Paradise Lost at #1.

Holy crap I'm out of the loop on new metal. This is all I have that's worth a shit. Everything else I have is a letdown.

1) Born of Osiris - A Higher Place
2) Marty Friedman - Tokyo Jukebox
3) Stream Of Passion - The Flame Within
4) Within The Ruins - Creature
5) Kiko Lourerio - Full Blast
6) Karl Sanders - Saurian Exorcisms
7) Wolves In The Throne Room - Black Cascade

I'm just being flippant about it. More power to him. I just find it amusing that he became obsessed with J-pop. He could at least be covering stuff like X Japan's "Blue Blood"!

Last edited by a moderator:
Never seen any X Japan videos, but someone tried to turn me on to them a while back, so I have a ton of their MP3s. Super generic IMO. Marty's new solo album is all covers of "J-Pop" songs from what I read, but it's all instrumental & sounds nothing like any pop I've heard. It's definitely got that Marty flavor. I've been practicing a song of his off Scenes to play at a talent show my job is hosting.

I don't think I've ever been on a forum that has people that hate incredible bands like Converge, Neurosis, Coalesce whilst liking shit like Lifelover and Deathspell Omega

I don't think I've ever been on a forum that has people that hate incredible bands like Converge, Neurosis, Coalesce whilst liking shit like Lifelover and Deathspell Omega

Since you apparently are completely backwards, shouldn't you be listing Neurosis under shit bands for consistency purposes?

When will you learn that actual credibility has no correlation between how loud and stupidly you express your views?