Top Death Metal Albums of all time....

Yeah it isn't flawless. You rightly point out that the production is slightly on the thin side, however having listened to it far too many times I have come to think the production in general oddly suits the music.

On the composition level though I think it is rightly regarded as a very important album in death metal.

ignoring the fact that i think the album is completely peerless, i sincerely doubt the production of tritsio was unintentional.

ok, i know big arguments have stemmed from questions like these in the past, but i'm not here to start arguments, but i want to know, am i insanely off base by me personally considering Sepultura from probably Roots and just about everything they released before that, death metal albums? i mean, i have heard them, i like most of them, i do atleast see some death metal in those albums, maybe not complete, but i would put them somewhere on the bottom of the genre

but i want to know, am i insanely off base by me personally considering Sepultura from probably Roots and just about everything they released before that, death metal albums?

Their early Albums are Thrash Metal (Schizophrenia, Beneath the Remains, Arise, Chaos AD). They've always had a lot of different influences, though (Death Metal, Punk, Hardcore). When they recorded Chaos AD they started adding a lot of "Brazilian sounds", percussion and stuff.

here's one

carcass- necrotism: descanting the insalubrious
morbid angel- blessed are the sick
exhumed- anatomy is destiny
suffocation- effigy of the forgotten
demilich-nespithe

you can get the demilich for free at their website

Any of MA's first 4 albums are death metal classics.

This is profoundly wrong.

No, I don't think so. At The Gates' intent doesn't have any bearing on my judgment of TRITSIO's aesthetic merit. If you were aiming to derive a statement from the music, the deliberate or non-deliberate nature of the production would matter, but then it's really the intent for its own sake that you're appreciating.

When I say "quality," I mean that strictly in the sense of the music- "a well wrought urn" and all that. IMO, the production job on TRITSIO makes it less pleasant to listen to, and makes the bass more difficult to appreciate: I don't care whether that's because ATG didn't have the money for a better one, or because they liked it this way.

1. i agree with dg's comment.
2. my comment wasn't directed at whether you like or dislike the production. my point is; the production was intentional i.e. atg wanted it to sound like it sounds.

The fact that you make no distinction between intentional production choices and incidental production qualities suggests that you have a lack of understanding or shallow level of appreciation. IMO.

I never said that, or anything approaching that. My point is that while such a distinction is important, it doesn't affect how the music sounds, which is all I'm criticizing (as I tried, maybe not very successfully, to clarify in my last post). So in that sense, sure, I'm taking a "shallow" approach.

For the record, I think TRITSIO's main virtue is its interesting composition, and I don't feel that beefing up the production to make the bass a little more audible would undermine its atmosphere. I take it you guys feel differently?

i have a question about a few bands i've come acrossed, because most of you guys seem to know what you're talking about, first off is there anything worth hearing from Cattle Decapitation,Decrepit Birth,Grave,or Regurgitate(whose release "Defiant" is supposedly good) And if anyone has heard anything from Mortician, whats good from them, i have to say after reading about them, i was kind of interested, being that i'm a big fan of horror flicks and they use clips from the movies i kind of want to hear something from them. Thanks.

The fact that you make no distinction between intentional production choices and incidental production qualities suggests that you have a lack of understanding or shallow level of appreciation. IMO.

i really think this is ludicrous but i'm so not having that argument again

fuck anyone who thinks either of the first two ATG albums sound 'too thin'.