Top Death Metal Albums of all time....

I think this argument is silly since no-one in their right mind would consider any latter-day death among the best death metal albums
Why not? Just because Death are a gateway band? When so many technical death metal albums from the 90s which are rich in their micro-elements are considered the pinnacle of creativity?
Not to sound like a purposefully controversial asshole once again, but after a hefty reassessment and comparing between the two, I, for one, think TSOP is rhythmically superior to say, the more fractured and erratic Unquestionable Presence, as I think it does a better job of retaining a steady rhythm and utilizes slow/doomy passages far better despite being more rockish and predictable.

Atheist sounds more sporadic, twisted and improvised, more dangerous if you like. Of course their sound is rawer as well, and maybe that's what makes it seem not as mechanical as TSOP.(which is what technical DM with a fat guitar tone tends to sound like) But Atheist's compositions are pretty shaky -- jumping from riff to riff a lot.

I dunno, it's probably just me, a lot of this uber-technical stuff doesn't keep my interest anymore. Give me something with some nice riffs and a steady beat or at least a beat that doesn't change when you least expect it. I think the problem with UP is that the beat changes far too much, so everything ends up feeling busy and overstuffed. Whenever I listen to it nowadays, I get kinda impatient waiting for it to end already. It's too hyper.It feels as though everything flies past me at light speed or I'm being tugged at different directions at once.
TSOP has a more conventional heavy-metallish sound which suits me better these days.

The main thing I hate about TSOP is the god awful bass. Technically fine, sure, but I don't think an album has ever given me a headache like this before due to the bass.

I can't stand it. It is fine during intro bits where nothing else is going on, but when it is going along with the guitars and the drums it drives me nuts.

Why not? Just because Death are a gateway band? When so many technical death metal albums from the 90s which are rich in their micro-elements are considered the pinnacle of creativity?

It has nothing to do with them being a "gateway band." I like their early albums a lot, and would probably put them among the best. Their later stuff simply is not up to the same caliber as, say, Morbid Angel's first four, or Brutality's Screams of Anguish, or even the ever-overrated TRITSIO. Including them on a list with those releases would be ridiculous, unless it was like, a Top 1000 list or somesuch.

it's a good album but there are definitely problems with the production. The bass is too thin IMO, it feels a little sickly. Still a very very good album, but not a flawless one by any means

it's a good album but there are definitely problems with the production. The bass is too thin IMO, it feels a little sickly. Still a very very good album, but not a flawless one by any means

Yeah it isn't flawless. You rightly point out that the production is slightly on the thin side, however having listened to it far too many times I have come to think the production in general oddly suits the music.

On the composition level though I think it is rightly regarded as a very important album in death metal.

Mortem - Demon Tales.
This has to be one of the most evil and sickest death metal albums ever.

Any of you bastards familiar with this great underground legend from Peru?

Yeah, it is pretty damn good.

I should also mention that I am more than slightly offended by you calling me a bastard. Good day.

yeah i'm not a bastard either! my parents were married!

oh well...but no, is that really a good album? i mean if your sarcastic, how do i know you aren't yanking on me?

damn, i liked when people were making album lists on here, it was like a music lesson for me, i found all kinds of goodies

here's one

carcass- necrotism: descanting the insalubrious
morbid angel- blessed are the sick
exhumed- anatomy is destiny
suffocation- effigy of the forgotten
demilich-nespithe

you can get the demilich for free at their website