Top Death Metal Albums of all time....

Welcome to a week ago...
According to many fans of the genre, traditional death metal is supposed to sound dangerous, twisted, ominous, deconstructing, crushing--traits that are by and large missing from Death's later works. The guitarwork on Death's last two albums has more in common with prog and heavy/speed metal, hence they're acknowledged as such.
The other camp believes that since they were one of the pioneers of the genre, Death never really shed their death metal skin, but obviously progressed beyond their humble death/thrash beginnings. Thus due to their early heritage, the last two works should be dubbed "progressive death metal".So what do you call progressive death metal-- death metal with emphasis on intricate and evovlved songwriting or when a band that originally played death metal evolves into a somewhat different entity?
Note that in a similar manner Emperor's last work Prometheus my be called progressive black metal despite being remote from the band's roots.

I don't really care about categorization, I just think it is patently absurd to allow all of one band's releases to dominate anyone's top list for ANY music genre.

i dont see the issue with categorizing all of Death's work as death metal. clearly, all of the albums have some traits of death metal. and being that the band had much to do with creating the genre you all love so dearly, why is this an issue?

the later works obviously belong with the atheist, cynic, later pestilence, etc, yet many have no problem calling these death metal.

next thing you know youll be saying chuck died of aids

seriously, i never knew this was such an issue. seems a bunch of newer metal fans like trying to rewrite history and re-categorize.

lets put this in the context of when TSOP was released in 1998. hmm, yeah i clearly remember NO ONE had a problem calling this death metal.

case closed.

i dont see the issue with categorizing all of Death's work as death metal. clearly, all of the albums have some traits of death metal. and being that the band had much to do with creating the genre you all love so dearly, why is this an issue?

Right. It shouldn't be. Some of the distinctions of die-hard fans are purely artificial, and are made, I think, in order to distance themselves from works that they consider dilluted and watered down by unwanted musical influences. This is understandable, I guess, but in my opinion, unnecessary.
And surely if something as Maidenesque in nature as North from Here by Sentenced is considered DM, so should TSOP and Symbolic

Meet me after school at the flag pole.

for sure hommie.

According to many fans of the genre, traditional death metal is supposed to sound dangerous, twisted, ominous, deconstructing, crushing--traits that are by and large missing from Death's later works. The guitarwork on Death's last two albums has more in common with prog and heavy/speed metal, hence they're acknowledged as such.
The other camp believes that since they were one of the pioneers of the genre, Death never really shed their death metal skin, but obviously progressed beyond their humble death/thrash beginnings. Thus due to their early heritage, the last two works should be dubbed "progressive death metal".So what do you call progressive death metal-- death metal with emphasis on intricate and evovlved songwriting or when a band that originally played death metal evolves into a somewhat different entity?
Note that in a similar manner Emperor's last work Prometheus my be called progressive black metal despite being remote from the band's roots.

To put in simply, if you call death's later albums (specially TSOP) death metal you should call The Fragile Art Of Existence death metal as well. All the elements on both albums are exactly the same, the only change is bringing someone to the band who can actually sing.

If Deicide,Cannibal Corpse, and Six Feet Under albums are in your top Death Metal albums you must be deaf and also have not heard much.

:)

Fuck You & then some(beat that)

1958.jpg