Top ten of 2006 (September)

Akercocke - Words that go unspoken, deeds that go undone
Satyricon - Now, Diabolical
Agalloch - Ashes against the grain
Devin Townsend Band - Synchestra
Strapping Young Lad - The New Black
Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
The Haunted - The Dead Eye

A lot of what seems to be promising releases I yet havent checked out too...My Dying Bride, Muse, Suffocation, Khoma, Death Breath, Cult of Luna, Mastodon....

Cerulean said:
That's true :D
I like what I've heard, but I'm waaaay more attracted by bands who try to be creative. Hence it won't be in my top 10

yeah sure, slayer is sooooooo creative... yeah.......

The new Celtic Frost was 2006 wasn't it? Heard it was good.

I haven't heard it. Maybe I'll go buy it this weekend.

D3v4S7A710N said:
The new Celtic Frost was 2006 wasn't it? Heard it was good.

I haven't heard it. Maybe I'll go buy it this weekend.
True. I am yet to really hear this one either. And there are some others that have been released that I'd like to hear...

Canaan - The Unsaid Words
Drudkh - Blood in Our Wells
The Gathering - Home
The Mars Volta - Amputechture
Saturnus - Veronika Decides to Die
Tenhi - Maaäet
Wolves in the Throne Room - 12 Stars of the Diadem

Isis In Absence of Truth
Cult of Luna Somewhere Along the Highway
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
Suffocation - Suffocation
Tool - 10,000 days
Saturnus - Veronika decides to die

In No particular order

Katatonia - the great cold distance
Into Eternity - the scattering of ashes
Moonspell - Memorial
Mercenary - The hours that remain
The one man army and the undead quartet - 21st century Killing Machine (hail the return of Johan)
Rebel meets rebel - rebel meets rebel

Finished list at the end of the year

Cerulean said:
And I got a request for Amon Amarth: STOP MAKING THE SAME ALBUMS OVER AND OVER
I partly agree with you, AA don’t improve their style with time, but Kevin is right, these adopted Manowar riffs still work… And it’s not always good to go further with experiments. Sometimes improving too much can damage the band beyond repair, let’s take In Flames for example. For some people (and me personally) AA is not the music, it’s like a current state of mind. One my friend, ice hockey player, always listens to them before he’s going to play, and after that he’s full of national pride and ready to kill, hehe. The best part with AA imo is atmosphere, theyreally caught that Viking thing, and they sound sincere. I really don’t like Hammerfall, just because I can’t imagine ancient mighty warrior mewing like a march cat, sorry. Johan looks and sounds like the true son of Odin, and it works.

gone said:
Yeah, boo to me for refusing to buy an album without hearing it first...[/QUOTE For what it's worth, I completely agree. It's your hard-earned money and what you spend it on is your business. BTW, I have listened to Maaaet by Tenhi and am utterly amazed. Is in my Top of 2006. For this style of music, no one does it better than Tenhi. Peace. :loco:

Aprilhäxan said:
I partly agree with you, AA don’t improve their style with time, but Kevin is right, these adopted Manowar riffs still work… And it’s not always good to go further with experiments. Sometimes improving too much can damage the band beyond repair, let’s take In Flames for example. For some people (and me personally) AA is not the music, it’s like a current state of mind. One my friend, ice hockey player, always listens to them before he’s going to play, and after that he’s full of national pride and ready to kill, hehe. The best part with AA imo is atmosphere, theyreally caught that Viking thing, and they sound sincere. I really don’t like Hammerfall, just because I can’t imagine ancient mighty warrior mewing like a march cat, sorry. Johan looks and sounds like the true son of Odin, and it works.

I partly agree with you as well, since I wasn't really that serious ;)

But it's true I'm losing my interest this way

Don't have an order yet, plus some of these may change by the end of the year after a few more albums I'm waiting for come out.

Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
My Dying Bride - A Line of Deathless Kings
Tenhi - Maaaet
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Green Carnation - Acoustic Verses
Saturnus - Veronika Decides to Die
Dissection - Reinkaos
Dragonforce - Inhuman Rampage
Tool - 10,000 Days
Daylight Dies - Dismantling Devotion

Amorphis "Eclipse"
Communic "Waves of Visual Decay"
Daylight Dies "Dismantling Devotion"
Dismember "The God That Never Was"
Isis "In The Abscence of Truth"
Psycroptic "Symbols of Failure"
Suffocation "Suffocation"
Vader "Impressions In Blood"
Vituperation "Nothing Is Sacred"
Zyklon "Disintegrate"

I have a hard time choosing between these ten CD's. All damn good.

Aprilhäxan said:
Johan looks and sounds like the true son of Odin, and it works.

Not 100% confirmed on this..but I was told by someone close to the band that most, if all of the members are Atheists and just use the Viking/Pagan theme for the band.

To me that is blasphemy because of the tattoos, lyrics and Johans horn. Oh well.

Most of the records I've bought this year have been old, but let's see...

Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance: Great album all the way through.

Tool - 10,000 Days: Very much what I expected, some good songs and lots of unnecessary fillers.

Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream 2006 remaster: My favourite of PT albums. Needless to say I was very happy when this came out.

Hidris Spacefolk - S/T: Actually a re-press of an old out of print promo CD. Really great space/prog/rock stuff (they call their music astrobeat). You can download this CD for free from their website at http://www.hidriaspacefolk.st/

Wow... looks like that's it :)

I heard the other day the Symphony X one was pushed back to early 2007 because of "everything going wrong" or something like that.