Torn, Evergrey at it's peak?

Valentine

Feb 8, 2005
So i couln't resist,and I downloaded the album=\ now,I have pre-ordered it,so I don't really feel that guilty...

It's kinda like being married,and then someone places Jessica Alba in front of you and says:"Do whatever the hell you want with her!" and ofcourse you go,"no,i have a mediocre wife that im happy with,so I'm okay,but thanks anyway." -.-

So I guess this thread is for the "sinners" who have downloaded it:

I've listening to it constantly since last night,even at work every chance I get...simply because I just can't get enough of it! It's allready growing fast on me,and I'm beggining to ask myself if this might turn out to be my favourite album from my all time favourite band.

Untill now,RD has been my unquestionable favourite album,with ISOT close behind. And now I feel,as Tom said,a modern mix of those two in "Torn",and I gotta say im really loving it.

Any one else got any similar thoughts about this?

I feel what you're saying... it feels really solid and I can't find much faults with the record.

The lyrics are awesome as well if you ask me. Of course they've always been great, but this time around the words really speak to me. I almost died of joy when I heard "these scars" in it's full glory yesterday... the lyrics, the music, the power and tempo are perfect in that song... it's kinda magic.

Will they ever be able to surpass this one?? Doubt it.

PS. the only thing that bugs me now and then is the production... I don't feel the music jumping out of the speakers and sitting right in front of me, it's too compressed or something. If it only sounded like ISOT or TIC... wow

I don't want to say too much and give spoilers for people that are waiting for it, but I'm dying to discuss it at the same time! I've also pre ordered it, and since my friend gave me a sneak listen have "sinned" and downloaded it now cos I can't stand the month wait until I can hear it again! On first listen it blew me away, and was only thinking 'hmm, not sure' on two tracks. On second listen, every track blew me away even more and the tracks I wasn't sure on sounded amazing!
When I'm finally able to stop drooling over the guitar sound and the awesome riffs, I might be able to hear the lyrics, but I think I'll wait for the inlay before I try picking them out too much.

I can relate to this but Valentine was it really necessary to create ANOTHER thread when I already made one concerning the album?

not really,I just got so excited man. You know the feeling I'm sure. And yeah,These scars really got me as well,and I was so happy when I heard that Carina was on it.

I have to say after listening to the album the last few days, I'm not really finding it anywhere near my favorite Evergrey stuff. It pales in comparison to "Recreation Day" and "The Inner Circle" which are masterpieces in my opinion.

For some reason, the songwriting just isn't here... the songs don't feel developed. Sure there are heavy guitars and stuff, but to me, a lot of it sounds like stuff we've already heard, and heard better.

And while I was so sure it would be a return to form after "Monday Morning Apocalypse", I'm not even sure it's better than that album because I feel the songwriting was better there even if it was more stripped down.

I'll continue to listen to it and it's possible my opinion could change somewhat, but I've listned to the album 4-5 times so far and that's how I feel right now.

The album is awsome indeed!
May probably grow to be one of my favorites in all their dicography.

If this is their peak ? I really don't think so, there are so many ways that guys so creative as EG can go, that probably through each album they become stronger and even more complete in composition vs feeling.

Resume: They'll do better in the next one too hehehe

Yes I Have, but like alot of you I also ordered it and I always support all bands. That being said..I love the New album. I have listened to it 6 times today and keep finding little things that stick out to me.
I would say that it's much better than MMA, but not a Masterpiece like In Search of is. I knowit will continue to grow on me.

My favorites: ( as of now )
These Scars
When Kingdoms fall
Fear
Torn
Broken Wings
:headbang:

With the exception of the nu metal-ish opening riff to Numb, I love the album. It doesn't dethrone The Inner Circle on my list. I think it blows MMA away, I disliked MMA so much it was the first Eg album I didn't purchase, but I'm happy to have pre-ordered Torn. There are some great things that I'm still noticing after repeated plays. I would consider it as a "return to form". These Scars and Broken Wings are favorites so far. Can't wait to have the proper CD and booklet (and bonus track!)

Hi all...waiting for the VIP package the dark side have seduced me, and i've downloaded it! The albums kicks ass, no doubt: the songs are great. I cannot choose favorite songs, because all are great! Maybe one song killed me from the beginning (trailer of March): FEAR!!! The riff is absolutely amazing! The power of the guitars breaks the speakers.

The album is now placed in my car and constantly running :headbang:

Just a couple of considerations about the overall sound: compared to the previous albums the amazing keyboards of Rick are, in my opinion, too much in background. In the past keybs were a constant presence in all songs, but now, sometimes, i can barely hear them! I love the Evergrey's mix of guitars and keybs: maybe some songs are too focused on guitars and sometimes the sound is too flat.

I've just listened to the album 3 times: maybe some opinions can be different
in the future.

Conclusions: the songs are all great and the album can be one of the best of Evergrey for sure! I will listen to it for long time :headbang: The sound maybe could be better, but this album is a good "snapshot" of what Evergrey are now: a great and powerful metal band!

The intro for Fear is also a favourite of mine :) I like the whole album, but have to say that Nothing Is Erased has the best riff(s) in. The intro riff leading into the verse riff is absolutely amazing!

PS. the only thing that bugs me now and then is the production... I don't feel the music jumping out of the speakers and sitting right in front of me, it's too compressed or something. If it only sounded like ISOT or TIC... wow

That might be coz its an mp3, the cd will sound much better. If you are talking about a leaked download it will most certianly sound worse than the cd.

Mmmm...can be maybe. But i don't think that the sound will be SO different. In my opinion (if you are not Mozart) it's difficult to find the difference between a CD and a hq mp3 (320000 samples per second are a lot!)

Mmmm...can be maybe. But i don't think that the sound will be SO different. In my opinion (if you are not Mozart) it's difficult to find the difference between a CD and a hq mp3 (320000 samples per second are a lot!)

Still only 6-7 mb compared to 60-70 on actual disc though

It needs more dynamics because the entire cd is pretty much a bunch of heavy riffs. Also the are keys shoved way in back, which really hurt the cd to put them so far back since they would have added much more prominent atmosphere, which Evergrey seems to desperately need.