Travel tips for Progpower

WhoFooldU

Fool for a Lifetime
Apr 3, 2002
Harrisonburg, VA
Visit site
Since there are several of us who will be traveling to ProgPower via a variety of airlines, I thought I'd offer up some words of advice about the dos and don’ts. I feel that I’m qualified to be a source on this since I live it on a daily basis! Life in airport security is just too damn glamorous ;)

Time. I cant preach this one enough. Give yourself enough time to get to the airport, get checked in, and have your bags checked. Minimum of 2 hours domestically and at least 3 international or so I have been told.

Packing and carry on luggage: Checked baggage weights vary from airline to airline. Be sure to do a little research if you are packing lots of stuff in your bags. Carry on bags are a slightly different story. When walking through a security checkpoint, you will only be permitted to bring 1 bag and 1 personal item. The one bag will have to meet the airline's carry-on dimensions. As far as a personal item goes, it can be a laptop, a backpack, or a purse. Something small along those lines is perfectly acceptable. The only time they can stretch this rule is if you are bringing along a musical instrument or medical equipment. Also, make sure you leave enough space in your bags to bring your purchases home.

Photo IDs. You NEED one to get to your gate. Bring one with you no matter how hideous the photo may be. Not having a photo ID can cause you more troubles than you really want.

METAL!! Seriously, when walking through a metal detector, it's best to remove all metals from your possession. Oversized chunks of metal known as belt buckles are easily missed. Cellphones are another notoriously forgotten item. Easiest thing to do is just to remove the contents from your pockets when going through. Keep your paper money with you, but that stuff called loose change....that's metal, and it will set off the metal detector.

For the ladies out there, skip wearing anything with a heel or that has a platform look to it. Yes I realize that it may match your ensemble, but concentrate on either sneakers or even some slip on flats. I'd hate to see you get delayed going through a walk through metal detector. Last thing any screener wants to do is deal with someone who complains. They get enough grief already, it's part of their job and there is no hazard pay for stupidity and frequent fliers.

Guys, don't wear the studded cod-piece. Pack that in a suitcase, preferably one that you'll be checking in at the ticket counter. Don’t attempt to bring it in as a carry on. Last thing you need is for some x-ray operator to detain you why they do a physical search of your property only to discover some cod-piece.

Basically, if you set off the alarm, you get the bonus of proceeding to a slight delay of secondary screening. If you don’t want to be delayed any more than necessary, just get rid of all that pesky metal.

Jackets….you’ll need to remove those and send them through the x-ray.

Smokers, pass on those fancy wind-proof lighters. Stick to the standard BIC disposable type or bring matches. Also, you are limited in the number of lighters that you can bring. No more than 2 disposable lighters should be in your carry on luggage. Any more than 2 and I'm fairly certain that you'll be asked to give up the excess ones.

Film. I know that photos are going to be important. Make sure you pack all your film in your carry on luggage. If it goes into checked baggage, there is a greater chance of it getting ruined. This is particularly true at airports with those oversized mini-van-like x-ray units. You can ask to have your film hand inspected at a checkpoint. Have them hand inspect anything that is shot at a film speed greater than 800 ASA. X-rays will not affect digital cameras.

Laptops. If you are bringing one, be sure to remove it from the bag you are carrying it in and send it through the x-ray separately.

And finally….bring a couple snacks with you. Sometimes with tight connections, you won’t have the luxury of being able to stop and grab a bite.

Hope this helps someone out!!
See you there,
Glenn

Thanks for the tip!

Last year I wore shoes that had a metal plate logo on them (lugz).
They made me take of my shoes because the alarm went off and the screener had to have someone else check them and put them thru the x-ray machine. This year I'm making sure I don't wear shoes with anything
that has any type of material that will set off alarms.

Once ya set off the detector, you're screwed, they have to run the wand thingy all over ya & so on..very tedious, so if you can avoid setting the dang thing off, you're set :)

One last tip for everyone flying that will be tired and/or hungover when they leave on Sunday. The Atlanta airport has tighter security than almost every other airport in the US. Expect long security lines and delays at check-in. Also, give yourself at least 30-45 minutes on MARTA (our subway) to get to the airport.

Hope all of y'all have an easy and safe trip. See everyone in a few days!

--Mike