Troops of Tomorrow: The Official Hardcore Punk Thread

Each to their own. As much as I like the debut I never found BR particularly convincing as a hardcore band, I feel they didnt really stand out from the Minor Threat ilk until the late 80s, early 90s when they injected their Beatles-esque sense of melody and the more cerebral lyrics.

The debut has some gems though, Part III, Fuck Armageddon and White Trash (2nd Generation) in particular.

Minor Threat ilk? We're hearing very different things if that's the case. They stood out immediately to me as a more mid-paced and melodic hardcore band even back in 1982 with not much else to really compare to.

What album from 1982 and prior could be considered their ilk?

Could the mega posts on the previous page all be wrapped in spoiler tags plz as fucking up my browser kthxwooyep

Minor Threat ilk? We're hearing very different things if that's the case. They stood out immediately to me as a more mid-paced and melodic hardcore band even back in 1982 with not much else to really compare to.

What album from 1982 and prior could be considered their ilk?

Yeah probably not the best analogy but to answer your question - 'Fresh Fruit...', 'Mommy's Little Monster', 'Group Sex', 'Adolescents', 'Milo Goes to College', 'Living in Darkness' to name some well known ones

Don't really agree that Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks or Adolescents sound all that much like Bad Religion beyond the obvious hardcore punk similarities that all bands in the genre share. Adolescents did approach mid-paced songs at times but they weren't really very melodic at all, they were rather more sloppy and snotty iirc. Social Distortion came after Bad Religion's debut and they're another of those bands that slowly watered themselves down into a radio friendly pop punk band.

Agent Orange and Descendents are two legit examples though, especially Milo Goes to College which almost reaches Bad Religion's balance of raw energy, melody and mid-paced tunes. Agent Orange aren't all that melodic TBH.

I fucking love Milo Goes to College btw, probably my second favourite hardcore album, the bass work is really nice for an old school hardcore album.

Reactions: Manic Ferocity
I played the shit out of Milo Goes to College back in high school. There's something endearingly inane about songs like 'I'm Not a Loser'.

You have a weird definition of 'radio friendly pop punk' though?! The Descendents have always been as poppy as any band from that era; much more so than Social Distortion.

Living in Darkness is a big under-rated one for me. Insanely catchy and bleak at the same time.

Descendents were certainly more poppy than Social Distortion by the standards of early 80's hardcore, but by the late 80's Social Distortion had started developing into that generic Tony Hawk's Pro Skater soundtrack rock radio style. Basically paved the way for drivel like The Offspring's 90's style.

Anyway I don't think there were enough bands like Bad Religion for them to belong to an ilk in which they could be overshadowed by better similar bands. They were pretty much trailblazers in the melodic hardcore style, like them or not.

the offspring also started out as dead kennedys/TSOL wannabes (as well as worshipping social distortion as you say), i think all those '90s pop punk bands had their roots in the real stuff but then sold out. this is the shit i listened to when i was 12 lol, bad religion and nofx and early offspring. was never quite gay enough for green day or blink or that shit though.

I definitely need to go back and listen to those early Bad Religion and NOFX albums. It's been years. I never really got into Social Distortion and though I like them, I always found the Dead Kennedys a bit overrated. T.S.O.L.'s first EP and full length are great.

Blink 182 and Green Day have never been good but I like some 90s pop punk like Screeching Weasel, Guttermouth, and The Queers.

Reactions: CiG
Nah, plenty of that kind of stuff to discuss here.

I'm definitely more partial to early crust and d-beat. A lot of that Swedish revivalist stuff is too well produced or melodic making the term "crust" seem kind of counter-intuitive in my opinion.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
Regarding Bad Religion, I'd say they've been fairly consistent throughout the years. I know a lot of people have issues with albums like No Substance and The New America but I'll stick up for those, tons of infectious songs on both. They've really been on a role though ever since The Process of Belief. Everything they've done since that has been excellent, though the new song they put out not that long ago is dreadful.

Re: Bad Religion, I like No Control but never explored much of their other stuff. The newer shit I’ve heard sounded pretty bad.

I only really like crust/hardcore/d-beat so I should probably go away.

sgsdv.jpg

Regarding Bad Religion, I'd say they've been fairly consistent throughout the years. I know a lot of people have issues with albums like No Substance and The New America but I'll stick up for those, tons of infectious songs on both.

Eh, I'd say they've been consistent with their catchiness, sure. But they basically completely dropped that raw edge they had on their earliest material and that's why I just don't enjoy their later stuff as much.

Eh, I'd say they've been consistent with their catchiness, sure. But they basically completely dropped that raw edge they had on their earliest material and that's why I just don't enjoy their later stuff as much.
Fair enough. It's certainty undeniable they quickly took a lighter approach after their earliest material. They've always had a knack for catchy melodies which I tend to eat up so I've always stuck with them.

Fair enough. It's certainty undeniable they quickly took a lighter approach after their earliest material. They've always had a knack for catchy melodies which I tend to eat up so I've always stuck with them.

Understandable, like I said I don't think they suck on those albums or anything, I just crave that rough melodic hardcore.

NOFX have had a pretty interesting career in terms of how they changed from album to album, crazy to imagine they once sounded like this: