Troops of Tomorrow: The Official Hardcore Punk Thread

All through highschool (late 90's) I was into punkrock.
Mostly the skate stuff..
Strung Out
Propagandhi
Big Wig
Belvedere
88 Fingers Louie
Good Riddance
stuff like that, loved it. Also loved ska and ska-punk
Voodoo Glow Skulls and Strung Out were my favorite bands
Also stuff like Kid Dynamite, the Bouncing Fucking Souls! Slapshot...

Big Wig is the band that got me into metal. Thanks Big Wig! Because of this song...

Lately a buddy and I have been listening to a ton of punkrock at work. Misfits, Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, all the skate stuff, Descendents.
Good stuff!
I never paid any attention to the older bands during highschool. But now I like that stuff.

Felt like this would be relevant here. Anyone follow The Punk Rock MBA YouTube channel? I disagree with almost every one of his opinions but I actually respect the guy a lot and interact with him on Facebook sometimes. You can tell that he isn't just trend-hopping and just has a very broad pallet of music taste which ranges from hardcore punk, powerviolence, slam, and 90s death metal to the big mainstream boom of pop-punk, emo, and metalcore of the early-mid 2000s. He kinda just seems like someone who grew up in the 90s underground hardcore scene and embraced its dive into the mainstream instead of shunning it.

Shocker but I absolutely despise "little kid" sounding pop-punk singing, its whiney emo equivalent, and breakdown-centered songs with Slaughter of the Soul riffs, but it is interesting to hear a different perspective from an underground scene veteran who does like that stuff. He also does a pretty good job with his "what killed the genre?" series in explaining the history of specific genres, their sound, how they evolved or changed, and how they declined (some of it obviously having to do with his personal opinion). Lots of stuff I either didn't know or hadn't thought about certain styles of music. The guy clearly knows his shit.

Seemed like there was a small resurgence of 80s inspired hardcore like this going on in the early '10s but a lot of those bands either broke up or haven't put out anything in a while. Killer stuff anyway.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey

God damn this is some good dystopian hardcore punk. Mixing some industrial elements in there too which plays into the whole cyberpunk theme. Can't wait until they record something longer so I can get a real feel for the style. Don't come across much good punk from Florida either.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
Back when this was only known as Hardcore. l mean, you could throw any word at it then - punk? proto-grind? trash?
but it came from punk. also, no fucking Siege in this thread? unless its in spoilers that l cant be bothered looking at..

Reactions: EspaDa
fwefwef.jpg

I recently picked up this killer CD comp, ferocious 80's Boston hardcore and it hasn't left my car yet. No bullshit material, just face-melting U.S.H.C.

Wow, I have somehow never seen this topic even though I love this subgenre. Gimme what you got on great hardcore punk that I have possibly never heard!

Going back through late 80/90s, mostly NY, hardcore to see what I can get into. I've always loved Sheer Terror, the first Cro Mags album, and early Agnostic Front. Also have a guilty pleasure for Vegan Reich (worst band name in existence) and Statement when it comes to the hardline bands. I admittedly struggle with a lot of this stuff. Basically whenever it starts getting into the thuggish brotherhood "ma family ma friends" type of lyrics I'm quickly put off. Sounds like something you'd hear during a D.A.R.E. assembly in intermediate school or whatever.

Anyway, still don't really like Madball. Judge is ok. Warzone is decent. I've always found Youth of Today's music kinda boring but I don't hate it. Bold and Gorilla Biscuits are sounding the best to me so far.

Overall, meh when it comes to the early 90s stuff so far. It kinda feels like this shit is mostly noteworthy for being when vegan straight edge started getting more militant. More about promoting the ideology than making memorable music from what I can tell.

Then we get to Earth Crisis and I think I might actually be coming around to them. I always thought of them as some militant vegan straight edge band obsessed with Pantera, which they are don't get me wrong, but kinda seeing a little more to their music now than I did before. The Firestorm EP obviously rules but Gomorrah's Season Ends is appealing to me now as well. Very dense but passionate hardcore.

Other shit that's appealing to me a lot is Strife and Marauder. The latter is heavy as fuck and without getting too deep into beatdown territory (even though I can see how they inspired it). Kinda sounds like Exhorder on Slaughter in the Vatican but stripped of all technicality and a vocalist that sounds like Pete Steele in his Carnivore days. Definitely dig this.

Reactions: CiG