Troops of Tomorrow: The Official Hardcore Punk Thread

was never quite gay enough for green day or blink or that shit though.
Blink 182 and Green Day have never been good but I like some 90s pop punk like Screeching Weasel, Guttermouth, and The Queers.

Never been a fan of Blink 182 (they're fucking worthless, even their early 90's demos are dogshit) but I think Green Day are good enough to be separated from shit like Blink 192. My biggest problem with Green Day is that they always put that faggot singer at the forefront of the music even though his voice is an awful nasally mess, totally puts me off when it's always mixed like that.

For example, this could have been decent if the instruments were at the forefront rather than that douche's vocals:

But yeah overall their style isn't so good. Mostly pop, very little punk when you drill down to it.

Yeah, that’s the problem I always had whenever anyone would try and get me into old Green Day. I can’t stand his vocals.

Reactions: CiG
Descendents were certainly more poppy than Social Distortion by the standards of early 80's hardcore, but by the late 80's Social Distortion had started developing into that generic Tony Hawk's Pro Skater soundtrack rock radio style. Basically paved the way for drivel like The Offspring's 90's style.
I've always thought of Social Distortion as more of a rock 'n roll band than anything else. That's probably the most umbrella of umbrella terms but they've always been a curious case as far as the "punk" tag is concerned. GG Allin was probably the first to do it with The Troubled Troubadour album but Social D were one of the first bands to expose a large audience to the crossover potential between punk and country going all the way back to their second album.

Meat Puppets' second album definitely contributed to the whole country punk thing in a big way as well, especially because they released it on SST and all the way back in 1984 way before Social Distortion or GG.

Reactions: jimmy101
Thought I'd share some of my favourite hardcore punk from'86 while we're doing the non-metal game for that year. So much good stuff out this year:

Reactions: jimmy101
Victim's Family. Great choice. Wacky musos & their songs all have stong meanings.

The year is 1983 and the first wave of hardcore punk is slowly falling apart, with newer bands moving in with much heavier takes on the genre, and in some cases weirder takes too. We're also seeing the slow flowering of subgenres like post-hardcore and melodic hardcore in the scene across America, and UK82 in full force in England.

Here's a quick list of what I consider the best shit hardcore had to offer in 1983:

Anarcho shit from the UK!

Hardcore anarcho crushers from California. PEACE OR ANNIHILATION!

Catchy as fuck melodic hardcore from Amsterdam.

One of the true masters of street punk with infectious bass and political rage.

Boston legends of straight up hardcore punk.

Jersey masters of tongue-in-cheek thrashcore.

Criminally overlooked (or maybe just overshadowed) D.C. hardcore band.

Pioneers of melodic hardcore and you can hear it in full swing already in 1983. Fucking amazing.

Pretty obscure NYHC band from Queens that incorporated a lot of piano into this album, and it works.

Jerry's Kids, fucking insane amounts of energy, kinda neglected as a band, but they were one of the first bands I heard and they always just stuck with me.

Sloppy skatepunkers from Arizona.

Chicago pioneers of post-hardcore.

Melancholic post-hardcore out of Minneapolis, has a really fucked up vibe to it. Pretty sure they were on Husker Du's label back in the day.

Melodic hardcore with huge nods to classic punk rock, kinda reminds me of Bad Religion at times.

Classic UK82 debut that smashes everything in its path.

Just another filthy as fuck band out of Ohio!

Detroit Rock(-bottom) City.

We all know the deal here, but I had to include them. Probably their heaviest material.

Ultra fast, ultra raw, ultra thrashcore!

Another amazing band that was on Dischord. Helped to launch the careers of people that went on to play in bands like Nirvana and Goatsnake.

Raw as fuck Texas hardcore punk, no frills, no bullshit, just ear annihilation.

Do I even need to say anything? If you don't like Bad Brains get the fuck off this thread.

I really owe Grand Theft Auto 5 for making me fall back in love with ST's debut album. One of the greatest skate punk/hardcore albums ever made!

One of the best. These dudes were so ahead of the curve in many ways, but at the same time gave off a vibe of total uncaring playfulness.

Alec MacKaye's band that basically invented emocore along with a few other bands. One of DC's best in my humble opinion, their split with Void is a quintessential hardcore punk record.

For me their 1983 Out of Step EP was their crowning achievement and one of the best things ever laid down to wax. So many of the songs paired energetic hardcore with genuinely catchy and great songwriting. This song is everything for me.

Reactions: Satanstoenail

One of the best. These dudes were so ahead of the curve in many ways, but at the same time gave off a vibe of total uncaring playfulness.

Digging the shit out of these guys currently, very NoMeansNo vibe. Shame about the guitarist dying.