TSE X50 v1.0

Another try, this time I think I getting closer to Feared tone, that reamp is amazing, what do you think?

EDIT: I know this is really far away to the original reamp, maybe I would try to forget about sounding as metalgods haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha I figured as much ;)

I might as well post the song, I wont be changing it for a while... This mix is so demanding on my poor processor it can barely play it with most of the instruments frozen...
With 1.0.1:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/933491/Xenahort - Shinigami 2013-01-12.mp3

Compared with the beta version:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/933491/Xenahort - Shinigami 2012-10-30.mp3

I managed to get them sounding pretty close to each other, even though the knobs reacted completely different. The new version has more pleasing highs and feels a little more aggressive to me somehow.
Only thing I was really having troubles with was trying to match the volumes between the 1.0.1 and the beta, I had to use the post-EQ to boost it up to similar levels. So perhaps try adding a few dB's to the output?

I've been messing around with Soilwork's The Bringer, trying to give it a different feel, I haven't been able to finish it yet so it's still missing leads and some extra stuff I was thinking to put in there.. the mix does need some work still, but that has to wait until I redo the guitars and record the leads I'm able to play :p ..

TSE808 -> TSE X50 -> God's Cab SM57 edge pres 4 -> ReaEQ .. Drums are addictive drums with kick replaced ..
Bass is ZomBass3 -> TSE B.O.D 2.0 -> Ampeg SVT impulse -> eq + compression

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool
can i get a screen shot of the settings of both guitar and bass?
thanks man

TSE808 -> TSE X50 -> God's Cab SM57 edge pres 4 -> ReaEQ .. Drums are addictive drums with kick replaced ..
Bass is ZomBass3 -> TSE B.O.D 2.0 -> Ampeg SVT impulse -> eq + compression[/QUOTE]

@Onqel: Wouldn't you need to program a world class (stereo) delay first if you wanted to play some leads ;)

I compared my 5150 poweramp against the x50 and i noticed that my 5150 is a lot duller in the powersection. I thought that might comes from old tubes but now i am quiet sure that my powertubes are fine because i switched them for a test and it still was dull.
So either x50 has much more highs in the powersection or something is wrong with the powersection of my amp. Could someone with a lineout behind his 5150 compare it to x50 too?
Also the real 5150 presence knob makes a big jump after Position 8..the x50 knob is there still "linear". Probably from modeling only min, max and 12 o'clock settings.

5150_PreAndPoweramp
5150preamp_TSEX50poweramp

I tried 30cm, 3m instrumentcable, 1m speakercable, different brands and different quality cables and there is no difference at all.

Red phoenix, how long is the cable going from the poweramp to the interface??

The signal impedance after the power amp is so low that you could run hundreds of feet of quality cable before the cable had any perceivable tonal effect. A few years ago I tested a 3' Monster speaker cable against a 5m ProCo 14gu speaker cable and according to a handful of modern engineers including myself, the 5m speaker cable actually sounded "better" despite its length on the premise of it being a more "open" and "dynamic" sound. Surely a testament to the shit that Monster is putting out these days and calling it top shelf.

I compared my 5150 poweramp against the x50 and i noticed that my 5150 is a lot duller in the powersection. I thought that might comes from old tubes but now i am quiet sure that my powertubes are fine because i switched them for a test and it still was dull.
So either x50 has much more highs in the powersection or something is wrong with the powersection of my amp. Could someone with a lineout behind his 5150 compare it to x50 too?
Also the real 5150 presence knob makes a big jump after Position 8..the x50 knob is there still "linear". Probably from modeling only min, max and 12 o'clock settings.

5150_PreAndPoweramp
5150preamp_TSEX50poweramp

How would one test their own power amp circuitry? I'm up for doing it especially since I had a hand in the preamp portion of the sim, but I don't want to end up damaging anything either. Could I take the speaker cable from the amp to my Type 85 set for speaker and then take the bypass to the cabinet as a load? That would include the transformer coloration as well.

I use a selfbuild line out and a resistive dummyload behind the speaker out of the amp. A resistive load gives us the flat response from the poweramp without the impedance curve the speaker would add, thats good for comparisons. I don't have the Countryman but you can do it like Kazrog..set it to speaker mode. Connect it between amp and speaker (resistive load would be better for this) with speaker cables and use the XLR line out to go into your interface.
With this setup i reamp with a sine sweep from Voxengos Deconvolver.
And i compared it to x50 with recording also the 5150 send out/preamp out and using then x50 powersection with the same Resonance/Presence setting.
Currently i guess that the x50 is modelling the upper part of a speaker impedance curve without its resonance peak and therefore the x50 poweramp has much more highs than the real 5150 powersection. When i use my 5150 with a real load which also doesn't have the resonance peak i get very very close to x50.

the X50 poweramp see's a reactive "speaker" impedance (V30 speaker model), I can reduce the amount of negative feedback to get less responsive controls, but I personally think it's okay the way it is, even if it's too high compared to the real amp.. I won't do anything with that just yet.. (I made the presence control more linear, I don't like the way it originally behaves)

That's good to know onqel! I still used an additional IR for the speaker load^^... but are you sure that your V30 speaker model also has the resonance peak modeled (at ~75/80Hz?) not only the increasing highs?
It would be a nice feature if this reactive load could be switched on/off to get the flat response because than you could use your own ones for different speakers and that makes a huge difference! The X50 would get just a tad more flexible :)
You are right..the original presence knob behavior is dumb :D