Ulrich.VS Lombardo

Whos better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I hate these arguements its so fucking similiar to the "best guitarist" threads, of course Technically Michael Angelo Batio is the best, but no one says hes the best because "his songwriting is blahblah no melody etc. etc." Now here we go with this thread, and its ONLY technical ability not all encompassing which is retarded.

I bet if I made a "whos the best guitarist thread" that MAB wouldn't even come top 3 when he is hands down the best guitarist based solely on technical skill in the world. These threads are retarded anyways, because it eventually turns into a flame war ala what we have now.

Now, with regards to the thread, I'm not voting because I don't listen to slayer, they are how should you say "Not my cup of tea". That and I always in my opinion found drums to not be as important as the other instruments in the band, solely because they are the background, and I can't stand drum solo's >.>. But, I differ to you people, and please if your going on only technical ability put that in the thread topic so we don't get these lame flame wars :), if you don't then you basically mean whos the best all around drummer (ability/writing/etc.).

I think the guitarist is the least important member of a band because good guitarists are a dime a dozen. Drums are what I usually notice first, but then again I think the rhythm section is the most important part of any band. Well most bands. I'm not too keen on the Agalloch drummer but they are more about atmosphere than anything else.

I think the guitarist is the least important member of a band because good guitarists are a dime a dozen. Drums are what I usually notice first, but then again I think the rhythm section is the most important part of any band. Well most bands. I'm not too keen on the Agalloch drummer but they are more about atmosphere than anything else.

Just because there are "alot" of good guitarists doesn't diminish their importance... lol...

Name me a band that can do without guitars? Only drums and vocals? Bands can get by w/o drums. Thats just my opinion though, but, really I don't see how you can say because there are XXX amount of good guitarists, then XXXX profession isn't important or as important anymore... No logic in that :)

Thats like saying there are alot of good pitchers in baseball so thus because of that pitching isn't as important or important anymore... (See what im saying?)

Yeah, pretty ignorant thing to say really. There is no instrument or part to music that is greater or less than another. The whole point in a band is to create sounds to mix together in the best way to create a good song. Which would mean that all sounds are equal as well as all instruments are equal.

Yeah, pretty ignorant thing to say really. There is no instrument or part to music that is greater or less than another. The whole point in a band is to create sounds to mix together in the best way to create a good song. Which would mean that all sounds are equal as well as all instruments are equal.

Your a bit off, as genre's are differentiated in the importance placed on instruments, for example speed/power metal all about guitars and you can't say guitars aren't most important instrument in said genre...

Keyboards/Guitars most important in melodic death metal also.. Its just fact in some genre's they use XXX instrument more then others so thus it becomes more important to them.

yea certain genres definately use a certain instrument much more prominently than others

take away the drums for judas priest and then take away the drums from suffocation - huge difference

Ok...but my point was all of that must come together to create GOOD or even GREAT songs, which in turn make a band either good or great. If a part of your band is lacking it can totally drag down the entire band. Take for instance, your thrash band has a shite drummer who can't keep in time and doesn't really fit the way the songs are written, then band is going to get railed for it and not be considered worth a damn. Same for a vocalist, and even a guitarist. You don't form a band to be one dimensional, that defies the whole purpose in being called a BAND. You take every dimension that is within your group to create something great. Doesn't matter if that genre or sub-genre is geared towards the guitars being what stands out, or the drums or whatever. If your band isn't well rounded, then why waste everyones time. That's how I approach music anyways.

Dän;5943346 said:
It's not an opinion but fact. Lombardo is very good, but so is Lar's old drumming, they play different styles; anyone can play any of Metallica or Slayer's stuff, its not that hard but its the ideas of a drummer that make him great. Lar's drumming and ideas on justice are creative different and great; so is Lombardo's on albums South and Seasons.

I agree.

To you maybe. To me, the rhythm section is the foundation of a band. Without it, it all falls apart. The guitarist is like the icing on the cake. Without it the cake won't be nearly as good, but the cake is more important than the icing. Really good icing can make a bad cake taste better, but it's still bad cake.

Goddamn that was a shitty metaphor.

Status
Not open for further replies.