Unblack Metal

That reminds me more of the South Park episodes where the group of goths don't want to dance because it's conformist, and then one goes to dance because he was so non-conformist that he wouldn't even conform with that group.

What's more 'black metal' than subverting the norm, going against the grain or being the lone wolf in a sea followers? In this respect Christian BM seems far more 'tr00' than the myriad of satanic/pagan/occult acts in the genre simply because it inverts the inverted, attempts to deconstruct the norms and destroy the monopoly of meaning within a genre heralded for individualism. Ironically, this in itself seems to adhere quite well to much of the ideological goals of black metal. Whether the music itself is worthy is an entirely different matter, of course.
Misrepresentation - unblack goes against the norm in the tiny subculture of black metal, but it is in reality *the* norm invading one of the few subcultures in opposition to it. The juggernaut of Christianity attacking the tiny black metal movement is poorly described as "going against the grain", more accurately they are repeating the historical actions that have given reason for the creation of black metal in the first place.

I don't personally think black metal is any better a way then playing thrash, or praise, or rap. I also don't think that it needs to be manipulated at all to express Christian ideology...I really don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with corpse paint, or many other black metal practices...In my opinion, the origin doesn't matter, it's what's being done that counts. An example of this would be how many Christian praise songs are actually derived from bar tunes.
Read my post here. Comparing unblack metal to Christian songs derived from bar tunes is a false analogy, it would be more accurate if the church choir was drinking, smoking, watching sports and shouting pickup lines at women while singing them.

However, when a band comes along that endeavors to subvert the values of the BM genre itself (the next logical step for such fatalist ideologies) they are treated with utter disdain. Christian BM is just one such movement.
I think your analysis is inaccurate, to say black metal praises generic "opposition and individualism" is simplistic; black metal has always had more specific enemies and specific goals than that. The glorification of historic pagan societies as an ideal alternative seems a more "logical" step than converting to Christianity and commercializing.

Misrepresentation - unblack goes against the norm in the tiny subculture of black metal, but it is in reality *the* norm invading one of the few subcultures in opposition to it. The juggernaut of Christianity attacking the tiny black metal movement is poorly described as "going against the grain", more accurately they are repeating the historical actions that have given reason for the creation of black metal in the first place.

I never said Christianity isn't the norm on a larger level. What I did say was that a culture/ideology built on subversion (which BM most assuredly is) begs to eventually be subverted itself. Whether this comes in the form of Christian, Marxist, Humanist or other myriad ideologies is irrelevant. In other words, when BM creates its own status quo culture it necessitates a resistance to at some point. This process, of course, is naturally sped up when some artist or band, for example, is told that they cannot do whatever it is they are attempting (i.e. Christian BM) in much the same way a Christian collective says you cannot call your band 'Rotting Christ'.

I think your analysis is inaccurate, to say black metal praises generic "opposition and individualism" is simplistic; black metal has always had more specific enemies and specific goals than that. The glorification of historic pagan societies as an ideal alternative seems a more "logical" step than converting to Christianity and commercializing.

Indeed it has been more specifc in its choice of targets, but its way of separating itself from its enemies is remarkably similar to how Christian BM, for example, is doing the same thing to traditional BM (i.e. Satanic BM inverts the teachings and interpretations of Christ through traditional Christian symbolic means while Christian BM takes the Satanic subversion of BM and it inverts it once again but by utilizing BM aesthetics) . And herein lies my overall point: BM is becoming the victim of subversion and purists aren't taking too kindly to it.

OK... The subculture attacks the dominant culture, the dominant culture then retaliates. And this is supposed to be some kind of clever irony? Is that it?

OK... The subculture attacks the dominant culture, the dominant culture then retaliates. And this is supposed to be some kind of clever irony? Is that it?

Essentially, but its important to keep in mind that the subculture is attacked from within by those in the know of what BM has been traditionally been about. Also it doesn't have to be that the dominant culture retaliates, it could very well be another subculture that attacks BM.

I think this is all brought on in the first place because black metal endorses seemingly opposing views. On the one hand, many bands use Satan as a symbol of individualism, refusing to accept status quo ideals, displaying a hatred for traditional Christianity etc. In the same vein, depressive and misanthropic black metal bands attempt to separate themselves from group mentalities by focusing solely on individual emotion, namely despair, that the mainstream culture has caused them. On the other hand, we have NSBM or bands that endorse a romantic view of a pagan societies. The irony here is that by propagating such ideals these bands are essentially promoting collectives that were, at one point, the mainstream culture. This hypocritical ideological juxtaposition is what makes black metal such an easy movement to subvert since it's supposed ideologies are little more than a mishmash of opposing ideals to begin with.

The irony here is that by propagating such ideals these bands are essentially promoting collectives that were, at one point, the mainstream culture. This hypocritical ideological juxtaposition is what makes black metal such an easy movement to subvert since it's supposed ideologies are little more than a mishmash of opposing ideals to begin with.
Again oversimplification. Black metal doesn't attack the mainstream culture because it is the mainstream culture, but because it has specific objections to this particular mainstream culture.

The Return Of The Black Death is more my speed musically, so it won't be a chore to go through like Frost Like Ashes, at least. :) I'm surprised and amused that this band actually, literally screams about how much they love Jesus though.

Read my post here. Comparing unblack metal to Christian songs derived from bar tunes is a false analogy, it would be more accurate if the church choir was drinking, smoking, watching sports and shouting pickup lines at women while singing them.
oops, stupid me. I didn't feel like reading all those pages, so I come off as ignorant. :oops:
I think what you said in that thread is actually really good. And now that I think about it, I believe I agree with you. Not enough "christian black metal" bands address why they wear the corpse paint, and generally look no different than the satanic black metal bands.

oops, stupid me. I didn't feel like reading all those pages, so I come off as ignorant. :oops:
I think what you said in that thread is actually really good. And now that I think about it, I believe I agree with you. Not enough "christian black metal" bands address why they wear the corpse paint, and generally look no different than the satanic black metal bands.

to be classified as black metal

Here is Kohllapse-An_End_To_Pain.mp3:

Kohllapse-An_End_To_Pain.mp3

I think this song rules!!

Just wanted to bring this forward for anyone who wants to hear this song. Kohllapse is an Australian metal band that mostly put out quality doomy atmospheric type stuff. But in the middle of the first (self-titled) CD they have this black metal tune that I feel is one of the coolest BM songs I have ever heard. It's just FULL of tension and mutiple musical orgasms.

They use the same sound that is used to express antichristianity, and use it to express Christianity, for some reason I find that weird, and unenjoyable.

Where to start with Antestor?

If you want to really experience what Antestor is special for, then probably The Return of the Black Death, which is their second release. Martyrium, their first, is similar (and great!) but less focused. Thier 3rd full length, The Forsaken, is almost a different band. They have 2 or 3 different members. It is likely to be more accessible and possibly immedeately appealing. I am not sure how good it is. I have it but have yet to really evaluate it.

Interesting quote as we continue to search for the meaning behind unblack metal:

…it is important that Christians [are] present in every field, in every genre…
- Morten Sigmund Magerøy (ex-Vaakevandring, ex-Antestor), Screams Of Abel Issue 32

There does seem to be a missionary mentality behind a lot of bands; the concept of the genre is awfully similar to black robes traveling into the land of America to proselytize the heathens, for example.

While the existence of a zine called "Screams Of Abel" is funny, Antestor's Return Of The Black Death is even funnier. When they aren't doing strange things like Christianizing Blade Runner they're screaming Psalms over typical black metal riffing. Lines of praise reminiscent of the Book of Job are often clearly decipherable and make up a good chunk of this album, the vocal approach just doesn't work on any level here. It doesn't surprise me that Antestor would go doom metal after this, I think going that path here would make for a far more effective album free of the dissonant hilarity Return... is rife with. Musically, and even with the production, the album is incoherent and inconsistent. There are many interesting ideas that don't tie in together in a meaningful way. It has the charm that the early albums of many bands do (in that stage where they are still exploring to find their sound) but the heavy and ever-present themes really weigh it down. I'm writing a bit of a review, probably give it a 2/5 or so.