Viking mythology and all that goes with it

Feraliminal Lycanthropizer said:
how do you make grog?

As far as i know, grogg is slang for hard liquor. Glögg on the other hand, is another story. You buy it in a bottle, look at the instructions which tell you to mix it with some vodka, then you heat it and add a 'twist' of almonds and raisins.

Brainkisser said:
Thor and Loki's trip to Jutland (sorry if I screwed up the name, been a while since I read up). Thor drinking the sea, fighting old age, etc.

Thats when they went to Utgard-Loki's Hall. I agree, excellent excellent story.

Feraliminal Lycanthropizer said:
eh, they had someone else tag along with them. Tyr, I think.

It was the farmhands son Thialfi, they took them...he took his sister Roskva as well...as "restitution" for Thialfi breaking one of the legs of Thors goats to eat the marrow inside after telling them not to damage the bones but to pile them on the skin when they were done eating.

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
therss sume called undermänniskor whichh coem from the south and eats and are dark and ugly an dhave big noses and uive seen the m in reaal life in some ountryes therse moore popula amn
Wow man, that was almost as good as some of Patric's drunken posts.

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
therss sume called undermänniskor whichh coem from the south and eats and are dark and ugly an dhave big noses and uive seen the m in reaal life in some ountryes therse moore popula amn

So lets look what he want to tlee us....

My favourite story is the one where Thor gets dressed up as a woman for Freya's wedding. I also like the one where Frey first sees his wife. My nine-year-old kid likes the one where Thor goes fishing and catches the world serpent the best.
My favourite hero, who I always include in sumbel, since he's a real historic person, is Jarl Haakon.
My favourite creepy creature is Fafnir, that Sigurd slayed in th story of the ring, but there are sooooooo many good ghost stories in the Norse mythology!
My favourite book is Heimskringla, but really, one should start with the Havamal (part of the Edda).
As for what happens after Ragnarök, you will get many answers depending on who you ask. Some believe that the whole concept of there being anything at all after Ragnarök was something thought up as an influence of the Christian faith upon the Norse, while some do not. In other words, it really has to do with what you base your faith upon - historical pretence, intuition, and if historical pretence, which part (era) of history, as the faith has not stayed unchanged. To a large extent, the sagas were written down by one or more Christian monks several hundred years after Christianity had taken over, and so each one of them would have understood, interpreted and copied the story down differently according to their own cultural context. Even the creation myth differs depending on which version of what saga you read....

If anyone is interested myself and another guy are teaching the heathenry class at MysticWicks.com. It is a pagan message board and is free to register. I took over from the teacher who just kinda up and disappeared, we are currently going over the original lesson plan so if anyone wants to come join us. I go by Mjollnir there and the class is in the Circle of Teachings section.

Oden or Odin?
Baldr, Balder or baldur?
i different english books i looked into there were these different spellings, which is quite... mmmh whats the word... not confusing but something else :p
so what is that about? baldr is the scandinavian way to write it and stuff?

they translate phonetiacally, like the names of egyptian gods, or arabic words, where the symbols and letters don't quite match with roman letters, so the spelling must be based on pronunciation.