Viking mythology and all that goes with it

Jeremiah said:
Hey guys/(girls?) am new here and I am not gonaa read through pages and pages of jibber so I will ask anyway.
WTF is with Amon Amarth and the whole "viking" thing? Personally I think it is a little far fetched.
Don't question them, just listen to the awesome music and lyrics.

Tyra said:
Yeah, I said that and I still stand by that statement, not just because I am born and raised asatru, but because I am an archaeologist by training, and also because I can recount my family's roots within the faith at least as far back as to the 1800's. And please don't say things like that in front of the families whose ancestor women were burnt at the stakes during the 1600's (mainly) for practising the religion openly (a k a "heatens"). They take offense on behalf of their ancestors.
The North American form of asatru as well as the name "asatru", however, is new. As far as we know, the Norsemen did not have a name for their faith. It just was. The name was invented later by necessity, and because North Americans are so far removed from the Nordic homeland with the ethnography and all that comes with that, there is a gap in the knowledge (they do not learn from their fathers what their granfathers had taught them and so on, but have to learn from books a lot, and things get lost in translation terribly easily), which some tend to fill in with "new stuff". I do not feel the need to do so myself, as I was taught all the things I need to know from my father, who learned it from his father, who learned it from his, and so on. That is not to say I am any better than any other asatruar, and it is not meant to offend anyone.

For any father discussion on this, take it to the proper thread - "Viking Mythology and all that goes with it".

thats really cool that you know your family has been "asatru"

Eh... no. Quite the contrary. Like Herrman Lindquist. He's one of those people that if I met him I would probably just punch him in the face.
Well, I can't speak from own experience because I havent read any of his works. I do however know that Lindquist is infamous among serious historians and history-buffs for being a very lazy researcher and making things up etc.

Why did you bring him up in the first place? Is he describing the viking-age Scandinavians in a (undeserved)negative way(if thats not it please clarify)? If thats what you ment then thats ofcourse no better then describing them in a (undeserved)good way. I used the other side of the coin as an example because thats the one I have experienced first hand. I want the truth.

:kickass: ah tyr.. the one handed warrior. son to Oden and Frigg. NO you're thinking of another story.. In the story with Tyr It was Tor and Tyr that went to Jotunheim to visit Tyr's stepfather Hymer.

Thats the key. This may be what im looking for, I'll try to borrow it. Maybe even buy it, though litterature of this type tend to be rather expensive.

If theres anything else you can recommend on the top of your head? can be anything really, I mean books dealing with more specific subjects, english or swedish. The other forum members might be intersested aswell.

Well, I hate to say it, but even after all the fancy books with beautiful glossy pictures and politically correct writing, Snorri's Heimskringla still beats most books for content if you really want to learn an awful lot. The trouble is that you actually have to understand what you read, so find a translation that is a good one and not too difficult to grasp, or you have to read each sentence five times over.
Mats G. Larsson has a book out called "Vikingar i Österled", which is good, but not general purpose. I think you have to be like me (insane) to read it all, but it's well worth it. It is about Swedish vikings gone east and how this was documented on the rune stones.
I have shitloads of books for school containing information on the "Viking Age", but the "viking chapters" are part of big books covering the mesolitic to the beginning of the middle ages. They are awully expensive to buy (as is the Burenhult book - borrow it before you buy it, in case you don't like it!), and most of them are in English (=not readily available in a Swedish library), and written in really tricky English, so I am not going to recommend them. They are more like "facklitteratur" than anything. A much more informative idea is to look at some of the thesis papers that are now on the web (free). I will get you the addy for Kunskapslagret as soon as I can. I think you can find stuff there. Many of those things are in English, too. For right now, though, we have a flood in the basement (swung my feet out of bed in the dark this morning and was met with a resounding "SPLOOSH" - about 4 cms of water...). Gimme some time, OK? /T
Edit: OK, here it is:
http://www.hgo.se/nordark/index2.htm /T, still swimming

ah, very good fit.

Yeah, well, I had nothing to do with that - he chose me, not the other way around. I'd have probably chosen someone "nicer and easy" (someone where I would not have to think so damn much about everything, and where I would not have to continuously prove I still have balls), like Frey or Freya or Sigyn if it had been up to me. But it is, as you say, a nice fit, which is probably why it went that way.

Hey guys/(girls?) am new here and I am not gonaa read through pages and pages of jibber so I will ask anyway.
WTF is with Amon Amarth and the whole "viking" thing? Personally I think it is a little far fetched.

But f**k me sideways they are an awesome band anyway :worship:

Amon Amarth are from Sweden. Vikings were from Sweden. Amon Amarth sing about Vikings. Tada!

The name itself is from LOTR.

Tyra said:
Well, I hate to say it, but even after all the fancy books with beautiful glossy pictures and politically correct writing, Snorri's Heimskringla still beats most books for content if you really want to learn an awful lot. The trouble is that you actually have to understand what you read, so find a translation that is a good one and not too difficult to grasp, or you have to read each sentence five times over.
Mats G. Larsson has a book out called "Vikingar i Österled", which is good, but not general purpose. I think you have to be like me (insane) to read it all, but it's well worth it. It is about Swedish vikings gone east and how this was documented on the rune stones.
[...]
I think I will buy it when I can afford it then. And I think I have found a good translation.

How about Saxo Grammaticus?: http://www.amazon.com/Saxo-Grammaticus-History-English-Commentary/dp/0859915026/sr=1-1/qid=1162854420/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-4732001-8912963?ie=UTF8&s=books

It seems pretty informative to me. His work is at least quoted as much as Heimskringla in the books I have read.
Tyra said:
I will get you the addy for Kunskapslagret as soon as I can. I think you can find stuff there. Many of those things are in English, too. For right now, though, we have a flood in the basement (swung my feet out of bed in the dark this morning and was met with a resounding "SPLOOSH" - about 4 cms of water...). Gimme some time, OK? /T
Quite a shock, eh? That sucks.

Thanks.

Yes, Saxo is OK, but he had a clear agenda, which makes his writings much more skewed than Snorri's (and you said you wanted to stay away from that). Snorri was a Christian, yes, but his agenda was to preserve the texts and the poetry. Saxo also doesn't give us anywhere near as much information (quantiyt wise), and what he does give us is not necessarily about the Norse, but more along the line of general Germanic tribes. Tacitus does that, too. Both Saxo and Tacitus can be read for free at the Northvegr website. You'll get about the same type of information from Saxo as you do from Beowulf, only Beowulf is infinately more interesting and there is more information as far as quantity per page goes! (And do not get Beowulf the Book confused with Beowuld and Grendel The Movie. The movie covers about 1/4 of the actual story.)
I was kind of waiting for a flood to happen sooner or later, as it is raining sufficiently for the Christians around here are telling us this is the coming of the next flood... Still, I would rather wake up to a dry floor. We'll live, though.

For right now, though, we have a flood in the basement (swung my feet out of bed in the dark this morning and was met with a resounding "SPLOOSH" - about 4 cms of water...). Gimme some time, OK? /T

Boy, if i had a nickel for everytime if found myself waking up in a puddle of one thing or another.

Krigly: OK, but make sure to keep the Bigly Balls strapped on tightly if you do.

T: I don't even want to think about waking up in puddles after the weekend we had! We celebrated Winters Findings, and then we kept celebrating and kept celebrating,and then we celebrated some more. I know I went to bed at some point after having made sure nobody was going to aspire on their own vomit, and I remember waking up briefly when my husband crawled into bed beside me and passed out cold in a matter of seconds. 'Cept for then I heard him come into the room a few seconds later to retrieve the dude in my bed that actually wasn't my husband...(The conversation went something like "No, no, no, nooooo." "No??" "Noooooo!" "Oh!") I have never seen a drunk Irishman run so fast my life. It was kind of like watching a human pinball (hit this wall, bounce to that one, hit it and bounce to the next one until you find someplace to hide). I was actually quite impressed, and my husband was even more impressed, which is most likely why my favourite Irishman is still alive (and probably still hung over). It was a good weekend...

You sound like someone I know....me! I don't like religion and I certainly wasn't searching for one, so it had to take something a bit more than "hey, Im gonna start believing in the gods, yeah that sounds about right" to get me here, too. I still really don't think of it as religion - that's only 'cause I lack a better word for it. It's more like some funky mix of ancestor worship, philosophy, lifestyle and some thing I have no idea what the hell it is because I can't explain it scientifically. Meeting up with Odin is one of the latter.
I have to tell you though, Krigly Bigly, that Ran "put the fear of God" into me. Probably because I didn't recognize her and I was not expecting her (as in I did not see her coming). I half expected to be faced with another Odin episode at some point, but Ran came right out of left field. That was sort of like dude walking down the street suddenly gets hit with a bottle over the head from behind - kind of hard to defend yourself. Odin has only ever stared me in the face, but she came from behind, and litterally physically knocked me down and dragged me, right in front of a whole bunch of people, all of whom - except for my gythia, who saw what was happening - were wondering what the hell was happening to me... So, that part I can't explain rationally, even with all sorts of psychology and all that, because it's never just happening to "just me". Other people who are there, who are not believers, complete strangers, see it and feel it happening to me, too. The first time I "saw" Odin there were three of us who saw him, only they lost it and ran!
I recently got an e-mail from a girl who doesn't actually know me or my religious stance. She wrote to tell me she'd had a dream about a woman who she described to me, and that she'd been told by another woman in the dream to contact me and tell me that "she" (the first woman) would be fine, actually better than ever, but not the same ever again. The first woman she described looked like my gythia when she's wearing ritual garb, down to the colour of the cloak she wears, and the pattern on the trim on it and all (how many people walk around in Norse ritual garb, anyhow??). I confirmed that it was my gythia by sending her a picture with more than one person to see if she could pick anyone out of it that looked like the woman in her dream. My gythia has recently had two terribly bad accidents and has been very debilitated. By the sounds of it, she will get better, even better than before, as they've found out about, and fixed, some as of before undiagnosed health issues. The second woman she described sounds an awful lot like one of the disir. My gythia is dedicated to Tyr, but she is very fond of the disir. The day after I got that mail, before I had a chance to tell anyone, my gythia, who'd never called here before, calls me out of the blue and asks me if I know anyone in Uppsala, because she had the feeling that someone in Uppsala was trying to reach her repeatedly. The girl that e-mailed me lives in Uppsala. All this could all be coinsidence, but you've got to admit it's a bit weird, huh? I mean, I'm sure you could explain it all if you tried, but it's just plain weird.

I just think it's weird. It frustrates me to no end when I can't logically explain stuff. And incidentally, I still have no idea what I did to piss Ran off. I made a big offering and gave a blanket apology, as I had to cross water more than once on my way to that tiny little island whre the dig was at this May... I'm still alive, so I am hoping that means the apology was accepted. At least with Odin, I can relate...

T: I don't even want to think about waking up in puddles after the weekend we had! We celebrated Winters Findings, and then we kept celebrating and kept celebrating,and then we celebrated some more. I know I went to bed at some point after having made sure nobody was going to aspire on their own vomit, and I remember waking up briefly when my husband crawled into bed beside me and passed out cold in a matter of seconds. 'Cept for then I heard him come into the room a few seconds later to retrieve the dude in my bed that actually wasn't my husband...(The conversation went something like "No, no, no, nooooo." "No??" "Noooooo!" "Oh!") I have never seen a drunk Irishman run so fast my life. It was kind of like watching a human pinball (hit this wall, bounce to that one, hit it and bounce to the next one until you find someplace to hide). I was actually quite impressed, and my husband was even more impressed, which is most likely why my favourite Irishman is still alive (and probably still hung over). It was a good weekend...

must be a thing with Irish guys, a roommate of mine used to pull that all the time...he'd wake up in my bed, the other roommates beds...never quite sure how he got there.

Yeah, maybe you all gonna laugh.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am from Poland and i am learning english:headbang:
My problem is - what is ASATOR?:kickass:
I have checked the popular english-polish dictonary and i cant find anything
Then i have checked all of viking myths what i have and nothing.:erk:
I cant find what or who is god damnt asator?:kickass: