Viking mythology and all that goes with it

Maybe the thing that you would like the Aesir to have are what's most precious to you today. Maybe what's most precious to you is your thoughts, or your poetry. Maybe it's a fun night with your friends on the town. Then dedicate that to them or him or her.
Well, I actually did lift my glass like "Here's to you!" from time to time, but I wondered if it was rude to just drink it, and leave nothing for them. But then again, if I would spill it on the ground it would be lost (and I certainly wouldn't expect them to accept a spilled drink anyway), and if I would leave it standing there ... well, I'm pretty sure it would still be there the next day, so what's the use?
I also "give my thoughts" to them a lot, and I do think that this is something very precious ... but on the other hand I belive that "giving your thoughts" is actually what it's about in the first place, so I don't see it as a sacrafice ... not even as a gift, although you could say that, but I rather think of it as ... the basic connection to the gods maybe(?)

Dedicating fun things and times to them, maybe even big accomplishments is a nice idea, too.
I didn't really see it that way, so I guess I just had a wrong idea about sacrifices. And why/when to give them. Whenever you here about it it's like "Then they gave a sacrifice to <insert god here>, so he would help them in this situation", and the bigger the sacrifice, the more help you'll get ... (me give you lots of gifts - you give me help - we be quits)

Oh, just to make myself clearer about what I meant when I said "i need guidance": Maybe I have a different definition of the word, but a guide to me is more like a friend looking out for you. Telling you when you are making mistakes, giving you advise and making suggestions. I am NOT looking fo a leader!!!

So, re leaving offerings, this is how my dad used to explain it: "If you give a friend a gift, it is up to him what he will do with it. The main thing is that you gave it." It's not up to you to worry about if the offering is still there the day after any more than it is for you to worry about if your mom will use the oven mitts you gave her for Mother's Day. You gave it in good faith. Odin may decide to give it to some ravens to eat, if it's edible, or Freya to her cats. Frey might let Earth soak up the mead so that plants can grow there. Either way, you gave, and they received. That's why you leave it outdoors. The act of leaving an offering is just as much for you as it is for them, because it proves something to you, too, which you will understand when you've done it.
You give with intent, and it alters the way you think of the man that is in your boots.
Giving someone your thoughts can be how I give mine to them by sharing this with you. You write the words down and send them to someone, or you write them down and say them, or just save them. Again, it's the act of purposely having that conversation with them that counts, and not just for them, but for you. Your intent is what changes it from just a thought to a gift, and the fact that you give up your time and creative effort is what makes it a sacrifice. Egil is a very good example of this. It was not just a creative process to him, it was a sacred process to create in their honour sometimes.

The act of battle was in and of itself a sacred, sacrificial act for a Norseman. Different from Jihad, in that one did not fight for a holy cause, but rather as an act of sacrifice of oneself. A nice offering can be to burn some incents, oils or some spices. I save big rushes of Rosemary and burn them. It makes the whole neighbourhood smell good when I do! Freya is said to love amber. I don't think she would mind at all if you were to burn some amber oil. The idea of a sacrifice having to mean suffering is a judeo-christian one. Most other religions see sacrifice as something positive. Song and dance and intoxication included. To me it is, like Bates said, like inviting a friend over for a drink. Yes, ther is certainly significanse to offering food and drink and precious things, because in the olden days, that was pain - food, drink and precious things were hard to come by, and the food you offer could have been the food your baby would have filled his belly with that night, had you not chosen to give it to someone else - but it was hospitality that was the sacred act. One would provide hospitality to strangers, and to friends and family. And to the Gods, the Goddesses and the dead. It has to do with hospitality, not with suffering. When I am not in such a rush, I'll find you a few good quotes and references about this. Remind me.
I for one had not misunderstood you as being in need of a leader. You'd be barking up an entirely wrong tree, if you were, and I did not think you were. That's the basic idea here. You must not follow blindly, that is for Christians and Moslems to do.
So, here it is: We exist just as much for them as they do for us. Without us, they could exist, but in silence (if a tree falls in a forest, and all that), and what would be the point of that? Without them, we could exist, but there would be a void, and we'd have to grope around to find our way without a guide. Yes, the leader exists for his men, but what is the point of being a leader if you've no men (or Valkyries..LOL)?

Totally off topic, but I saw this today (called the Valkyrie Rune):

Rune_large_01.jpg

Ugly color, weird (but not bad) design.

I'm leaning towards not liking it because th front just seems to close for comfort to me. That and there is no place to put a good axe or shield :lol:

Those are a pretty sick bike, same motor as the Goldwing touring bikes, but about half the weight. You don't sit as close to the front as it might look, the motor's pretty damn big.
Yeah, bikes are another one of my hobbies. I've got a Suzuki Volusia (because HD's are for yuppies and old guys like my dad who can afford to pay the price of a small house for a bike). Only problem is the Japanese don't build bikes for tall people. :(
bike.jpg

(The world was probably safer before I got a digital camera :p )

F Slim, I told you I wanted to find a quote for you on hospitality - here's the one I was looking for, from Tacitus, and what he has to say about hospitality among the Germans of his time (consider the source, but I still think it's telling, because it is an extension of their religious practise, sort of like the end result of the religion and how it is reflected in every day life):
"In social feasts, and deeds of hospitality, no nation upon earth was ever more liberal and abounding. To refuse admitting under your roof any man whatsoever, is held wicked and inhuman. Every man receives every comer, and treats him with repasts as large as his ability can possibly furnish. When the whole stock is consumed, he who had treated so hospitably guides and accompanies his guest to a new scene of hospitality; and both proceed to the next house, though neither of them invited. Nor avails it, that they were not: they are there received, with the same frankness and humanity. Between a stranger and an acquaintance, in dispensing the rules and benefits of hospitality, no difference is made. Upon your departure, if you ask anything, it is the custom to grant it; and with the same facility, they ask of you. In gifts they delight, but neither claim merit from what they give, nor own any obligation for what they receive. Their manner of entertaining their guests is familiar and kind."

Oh, and Bates, the best penis extention in the whole picture (not that I believe in Freud, but some do) that you posted is still the little red bike and the blue one beside it. Don't get me wrong - the black one imressed me greatly, as I am motorcycle crazy and have been since I was a kid, and that is just a sweet bike that I would die to have but the smaller versions parked beside it are still better penis extensions. Any wet behind the ear young buck greenhorn can sell enough dope to buy a fancy bike. Those other two bikes just show that you've nothing to prove - you already da man!

Yeah that red bike is pretty grim :lol:

Frankly, I want this though:

The vrscdx nightrod special
07HDRod.jpg

that or one of these, so I can pretend I'm from the future:
http://www.autoghid.ro/masini/articole-despre-masini|detalii/articleID_4215/BRP-Can-Am-Spyder-Roadster.html

V-rods are sharp bikes, too. Even my old man likes them, and he's old school to a fault, generally.
As for the penis extension, that never crossed my mind, lol. Better unhung and well-used then well-hung and unused, says I! Or, in the words of one fine gentleman... "Sometimes I'm asked the question 'Who are you supposed to satisfy with that?', and I can but reply, 'Me!'" :lol: But seriously, my dad's a biker, a bunch of my friends growing up had parents in various MCs. I'm not much into the MC thing myself, but riding is the best mental therapy ever. :)

Depends on how you define fuck over. Odin likes to take his warriors to him when he wants to, rather than when they want him to, and he gives victory to whomever he feels like, rather than whomever would be best for his people at the time and so on. He 's known to park his warrior women inside rings of fire for falling in love like Freya wants them to. Some would call that fucking you over, and some also call him the fickle god. Frey sent a man to threaten the woman of his dreams with all sorts of horrible, debasing things, in order to persuade her to submit to marrying him. Freya uses magic to get her way. Thor threatens people with violence if they refuse to do what he wants them to, and all the male gods are womanizers that love, leave and break hearts all for a roll in the hay that will make life very difficult for the affected woman after, and on an almost hourly basis according to some. Loki is actually the simplest to handle (expect him to act like a misunderstood two-year-old) in terms of seeing it coming.
That's beside the point, though. They never asked for the kind of blind faith that Christians and Moslems require. When/if they want something specific from you, they'll come and outright ask you. While you're in this world (at least) you have to question everything. If you don't, it is to your advantage to convert (although I don't recommend it!). Their god adores people who do things by knee-jerk reaction. Odin respects those who don't. That's a complete 180.

So, Bates, this whole argument is what I was getting at with that question about wheter the men are there for their leader or the leader there for their men. Apply the answer you think is right to this equation, and you will know if your answer was the right one.
Also, what line of thinking was it that screwed up your thesis? I mean, which part. I forgot to ask. Your line of thought is probably a valid one, since your lines of thoughts are usually not entirely unfounded in something. It might be something interesting to look at, and I might learn something new...

F Slim, I was thinking about what you said about offerings earlier, but I forgot to add it to the post at the time. For what it's worth, in Hymskvida's secon verse, Ygg (=Thor) says "Þú skalt ásum oft sumbl gera", i.e. You should make feast for the Aesir often. That means that there is historical presedence for you and them or one of them or you and a friend or two getting together to have a meal or a drink or a dance to honour them. It does not spell out how to have fun, but the idea is to gather in their honour. It does not say it cannot be in a bar with a bunch of friends or in the sticks with just you and a bonfire. It also does not say it has to be one of those, or a gathering in a circle with a mead horn. The fact of the matter is that all Indo-European religions that I have ever studied in depth have a holy drink/edible that contains fermented honey. The fact of the matter is that there are myths surrounding mead being a holy and precious in the ON mythology. The fact of the matter is that honey was difficult to come by and it was a sacrifice to have to use up so much of it for mead when you really could have put it to better use in other foodstuffs (it was the only sweetner available to the Norse). The fact is that the written texts and the archaeological evidence shows that mead was the drink the ON would have chosen for ritual, and the religious myths suggest that even the gods did so (and I only got one answer to my question on this forum about to whom the gods sacrifice...). This is why I personally use mead. Today, though, other things are precious to us. A peanut butter sandwich is precisous to a starving man. We have sugar now. Honey is not so important to us. Many prefer beer. The Eddas say Odin is the only one who drank wine - that was because wine was not a domestic product to Scandinavia (it was too cold to grow grapes, so only the very powerfulest of the powerful would have had the chance to get wine from far away, from below the Roman limes) so you can imagine how powerful a symbol it was that Odin drank wine. Today we can drink wine if we are old enough to buy it. Maybe the thing that you would like the Aesir to have are what's most precious to you today. Maybe what's most precious to you is your thoughts, or your poetry. Maybe it's a fun night with your friends on the town. Then dedicate that to them or him or her.
I've a fundimental problem with people who feel that one must keep rules ridgid and static. I choose to worship in the old style because it is what works for me and "them". I don't think anyone has the right to tell you that your way of worshipping is wrong, unless it does harm or disrespect to someone else.

aye.... but the way i see it... is that it more than likely made those people stronger, having such hard lives.... to me that would be more of a gift than a burden..... of course that is my own opinion :)

Thanks for the quote, Tyra. I am still thinking about getting a version (german translation) of Tacitus Germanica, but I'm still put off by the fact that you really have to take care not to be mislead by it ... and I actually didn't find any translation anyway :p
I think most of the stories in the Edda are about hospitality, too ... like Grímnismál for example, where Odin visits King Geirröd just to test his hospilality. Also in Thors travels hospitality is always an important part. Maybe sometimes it's just there because it was common, but sometimes (I think) it's rather the key to whole the story.

Oh, and in case your penis-theory is correct, I must be one heck of a manly man! :)
meine.jpg

(we are talking about 27hp and a stunning top speed of 110 kph (that's 68 mph) ... but only downhill and with tail wind, I usually can't go much faster then 60 mph)
I once tried to use the slipstream of a coach, but I couldn't quite follow it ... :cry:

Tyra, I have a brief question for you, something that I've been wondering for a long time now. The story of the sword that's told in the song "Avenger", is that based on any myths? It somewhat reminds me of the legend of the sword Tyrfing, but it's rather different still.

L33ch: I'm not sure if the inspiration was a specific story (there are some that are quite similar..), but I also know that when Johan writes, he writes about things in his life but in metaphorical terms. Could be a mix of both. Some of the lyrics that y'all have discussed on the forum I know to have completely different meanings to him (that is, i know what he was thinking about when he wrote them, which is different from the "face value" of the lyrics that you all see), but some of the stories behind are deeply personal and stuff I am not sure he'd want discussed in a public forum, so I just shut up. Some sisters do not tell all...LOL. I find it interesting to see all the different interpretations of the same verse in one song!

F Slim: He he! I meant more in terms of that Bates has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he can not only make but also sustain life, and the little bikes in the pic prove that he has. I was teasing, but I was also dead serious. The things that are manly to a woman are often different than the things that men think are manly. Being a good dad is a very virile thing to most women, but a lot of young men would think that it was completely unsexy to have such a small red bike in the driveway right beside a big black one. I was just pointing out that it isn't, to me. Mind you, I have not seen one of those cars that you have for ages. They don't have them here much, and certainly not the older style. I remember thinking they were funky when I lived at home, where they actually did have them.

Now, as for Tacitus:
There ought to be a good translation of Germania on-line for you in German. I have found both English, Swedish and Latin versions of the full text. (Edit - Here you go: http://www.realhomepage.de/members/Der_letzte_Patriot/Tacitus_Germania.html) You do have to watch with Tacitus, because he does skew things, but geneerally he skews in favour of the Germanic peoples, as it was his job to make them look better and fiercer than the Romans in this particular work of litterature. If you read Caesar, for example, you get it from the opposite angle, and Ibn Fahdlan gives yet another account. What it shows, is the same thing that the archaeology shows: There is no such thing as a cohesive, Pangermanic culture. The culture changes depending on geographical area and, obviously, depending on which time within prehistory you're looking at. Within the upper classes there are some things that are similar or the same, but the upper classes are such a small percentage of the whole population that you really have to pick a group or tribe to focus on, then branch out from there. Some groups then seem to be more representative of what is "typically Germanic" than others.
As far as hospitality goes, there are three different texts that I'd like to highlight as good representatives: 1. Beowulf (not THE MOVIE - the BOOK!).
2. Lokasenna. 3. The feast of the Aesir with the giant Hrungnir in attendance from Sk&#225;ladkaparm&#225;l. They give you a fairly good idea of what hospitality meant back then.

Thanks for the link, Tyra. I'm not sure though if I should trust that translation after reading the introduction ... it has a rather strong "we are the better race"-attitude to it, along with a quote from Goethe that shall basically tell you to "keep the race clean".
In other words: it's a fucking neonazi-site, and I'd rather read an english translation, or else I might have to puke :erk:
(sorry, I just hate people like that, since it's their fault that everything that has to do with germanic or norse mythology is rather associated with racism and those shitheads ... and the fact that you always stumble over this crap while searching for "clean" information shows you why :ill: )

Yep, I am aware of the site - there were more than one, but I compared the German text to the original, and that site was the one that I felt was the closest to the original. You might like this one better (the only reason I did not post the link originally is because it also has the Latin version beside it, which makes he texts long and skinny, but then again, maybe you are like me, and prefer to be able to comapre the two versions side by side?): http://www.gottwein.de/Lat/tac/Germ01.php

It's a shame that I nevere learned latin :oops: (on the other hand, I never felt the urge to do so). But I do feel a lot more comfortable with that site, thanks a lot!

(Sorry, I know I can be fussy sometimes ;) )