Viking mythology and all that goes with it

I just read that this clergyman called Robt M. Kennley wrote in 1898 in a book called "Folklore" that when he was a young boy there was an epidemic in his town in Lincolnshire (England) and he brought some medicine to an old lady whose grandson was sick. The grandson's bed had three horse shoes nailed to the bottom of it, and with a hammer the old lady struck them once each and recited the following poem :

Feyther, Son and Holy Ghoast
naale the divil to this poast;
with this mall Oi throice dew knowk
one for God an' one for Wod an' one for Lok !

in modern english :

Father, Son and Holy Ghost
nail the devil to this post;
with this mallet I thrice do knock
one for God and one for Woden and one for Loke !

I read about this in George Dumézil's "Loki" (1986), and apparently Axel Olrik mentions it in an article "Loki in Younger Tradition" (1908) and Jan de Vries in his "The Problem of Loki".

That's the only info I have about it but I think it's pretty damn cool how the old Gods survived in very explicit rituals up until at least the 19th century, and in England! In the Faroes and all I'd understand, but I wasn't expecting England. Does anyone here have more info about this particular ritual? I only have access to George Dumézil's book who doesn't develop the subject any more than that.

I just read that this clergyman called Robt M. Kennley wrote in 1898 in a book called "Folklore" that when he was a young boy there was an epidemic in his town in Lincolnshire (England) and he brought some medicine to an old lady whose grandson was sick. The grandson's bed had three horse shoes nailed to the bottom of it, and with a hammer the old lady struck them once each and recited the following poem :

Feyther, Son and Holy Ghoast
naale the divil to this poast;
with this mall Oi throice dew knowk
one for God an' one for Wod an' one for Lok !

in modern english :

Father, Son and Holy Ghost
nail the devil to this post;
with this mallet I thrice do knock
one for God and one for Woden and one for Loke !

I read about this in George Dumézil's "Loki" (1986), and apparently Axel Olrik mentions it in an article "Loki in Younger Tradition" (1908) and Jan de Vries in his "The Problem of Loki".

That's the only info I have about it but I think it's pretty damn cool how the old Gods survived in very explicit rituals up until at least the 19th century, and in England! In the Faroes and all I'd understand, but I wasn't expecting England. Does anyone here have more info about this particular ritual? I only have access to George Dumézil's book who doesn't develop the subject any more than that.

Hang tight...I think I have some. Have to search!

After Ragnarok their are no surviving Einerharjar, EVERYTHING dies except Lif and Lifthrasir who hid deep in Hodmimir's Forest...and some say they actually hid deep inside Yggdrassil...and were protected from Surt's fire. As far as inheriting Odin's "crown" as chief of the gods, we know Baldr and Hod come back from Hel to reign, Vidar also survives as well as a few others. The mythology really doesnt say anything after Ragnarok.

baldr is alive too after Ragnarok

Sorry...better late than never I suppose, huh? The shirt depicts the whole futhark, i.e. the runic alphabet. It starts at the top with the letters F, U, Th and so on. Look in google under elder futhark and you'll find the key so you can decipher other shirts, too! During the Viking Age, it was the younger futhark that was used for writing but the older was used for divination.

so i wrote down all the letters and stuff from that shirt and it came down to doftharkgwhnijaepystbeml i started at dagaz

so i wrote down all the letters and stuff from that shirt and it came down to doftharkgwhnijaepystbeml i started at dagaz
Yes, like I said (here or in one of the many other threads asking the same question...), it's the Elder Futhark. It starts at F, hence the name Futhark.

Celtik, that question is going to drive me nuts! I know I have seen similar texts, but now I cannot for the life of me remember where. I know I came across references to other texts and riddles just like it when I was doing thesis work. That leads me to believe that it may have come from the Vercelli Book or (more likely) the Exeter Book. The latter contains a bunch of poems with similar references, or at least references that hark back to ON poems, myths and society in general. Start there and see where it takes you, but of course, Dumézil is the best for things like that!

Hopefully this question hasn't been asked before, but I'm looking for a good description and/or explanation of what different runes symbolize. I'm wondering if there is a good source to be trusted on the internet, or if anyone can recommend a trustworthy book.
I ask because my boyfriend is looking to have a custom coffee table with runes carved into it and his signed AA flag put into glass on the top of the table.

Thanks in advance. :)

Hopefully this question hasn't been asked before, but I'm looking for a good description and/or explanation of what different runes symbolize. I'm wondering if there is a good source to be trusted on the internet, or if anyone can recommend a trustworthy book.
I ask because my boyfriend is looking to have a custom coffee table with runes carved into it and his signed AA flag put into glass on the top of the table.

Thanks in advance. :)

I think Arild Hauge's page is one of the best. Try here: http://www.arild-hauge.com/efuthark.htm#24
Ther is a book called simply "Runes" by Bernard King that I like, too, but it might be difficult to find. In any case, Hauge's page is good and concise.

Ther is a book called simply "Runes" by Bernard King that I like, too, but it might be difficult to find.

King's book was reprinted as "Elements of the Runes" by Element Press a couple years ago and would be a lot easier to find than the earlier printing. It is indeed a very good starting point.

Hey T...

fits him perfectly, thank you again!!!

292769_2379061319910_1351962465_32827023_6208057_n.jpg

Awwww! I was starting to get worried it wouldn't get to you before the kid was a teenager...geez that shipping took forever (not the mail part, but the part before it left the warehouse). I'm glad it fits. Good on you for the article, too. Why don't you post the link here?!