Vilewoman's off-topic random retardation thread.

Did you just call her your pet? :p

Pet, love, doll, hen, duck, sunshine, poppet , china (short for china doll)
Just many of the names you can hear in the UK. Mind you, not just for people you know- complete strangers can also call you that.

For example, every time I go to Glasgow I get called doll by shopkeepers or bus drivers. And when I used to work for a client that was based in Yorkshire and took calls from them they always started by saying something like 'ullo luv!"

Coming to think of it it is the equivalent of being called "mon p'tit choux" or "mon chaton" by the guy who sells you bread or underground tickets. Would it happen in Paris? Probably not.

What the?
English people call strangers "love"? LOL
hell no that wouldn't happen in Paris. Sure this city's folk aren't extremely kind but still.. I mean there are limits.
So weird :p

What the?
hell no that wouldn't happen in Paris. Sure this city's folk aren't extremely kind but still.. I mean there are limits.

It's just an expression, not an actual way of showing you actually love someone. It's just another way of saying hi.
Don't see what's so strange about it, it's another language where you use one word in two different ways.

What the?

Its just a way of speaking, like Gnoff said. In London most people call each other love in informal situations (such as asking the bus driver how much for a single ticket)

T'inquiete pas mon poussin!:heh: It is not as complicated as trying to work out where you would use vous and where you would use tu. I know, just to keep on the same side, vous all the time, but sometimes I can't help but feeling a bit strange adressing someone my age that formally. I guess I have been contaminated by the hugely democratic and simple "you" used by English...

Yeah I do realize its not to be taken literally...
And indeed. The fact that in the English language there isn't the use of "vous" or "tu" weather you know the person or not helps to make conversations between strangers more "friendly".
But I don't think Americans would use affectionate nicknames to strangers... its certainly very British, no?

The only problem with pet names is that it always seems if it's used by a stranger then it's always the gross creepy dudes saying it! (Keep in mind this is the south- it's a totally different story with a British accent)

The only problem with pet names is that it always seems if it's used by a stranger then it's always the gross creepy dudes saying it! (Keep in mind this is the south- it's a totally different story with a British accent)

You obviously have not heard some regional British accents. :heh: Not every British person sounds elegant... Some are quite the opposite. Glaswegian or Scouse (Liverpool) for example

A tad random, but do British people say "you all", "ya'll" or anything like that? I'm American and I say ya'll even though I don't live in the South anymore. People think it sounds kind of weird.

The annoying thing about some Americans is their overuseage of the word "like" all the time.
They use it every other word practically!
I use it sometimes, just perhaps in the beginning of a sentence, "its like"...
But in the metro (subway, tube.. whatever) here in Paris, I often overhear female American tourists talk (or Canadian for that matter) and when they use "like" 10 times in one sentence I just want to slap them (especially when there's that sort of "noze-sounding" accent... new-yorkan?), its so annoying... :p

A tad random, but do British people say "you all", "ya'll" or anything like that? I'm American and I say ya'll even though I don't live in the South anymore. People think it sounds kind of weird.

I have not heard it too often, I have to say.

Around here the equivalent would be "youse" for you-plural or "you all" . As in "Youse goin' to the game then?" So much that I struggled to make my pupils understand the difference between you plural and you singular. Then someone puts his hand up and says, "You mean youse miss?"

Aye, that's ye telt alrite son :)