Vilewoman's off-topic random retardation thread.

3 degrees! In what? (If you dont mind me asking)

One in modern languages and linguistics (French, Spanish, English, Catalan), a Masters' in Conference Interpreting, and a Posgraduate Degree in teaching, complete with three placements in some of Scotlands' rough districts.

As unemployed people go, I am quite qualified. I don't know whether to feel smug or pathetic.

haha. bro, i could end up going back to do honours in law if i want to. some people are addicted to study :headbang::headbang:

I know where you are coming from. "This is your brain on extended reading"

I have been toying with the idea of doing a PHD in bilinguism and second language adquisition. Like standing on a corner of folks' who have parents from two different linguistic backgrounds and trying to find patterns on what language kids choose to speak in. I mean, I know enough of the "international community" in this city to build a neat data bank.

I know, I'm a nerd. :lol::lol::lol:

So this question has been rining in my head all day. Last night we had a pretty good thunderstorm roll thru. Nothin major...least not as severe as they usually are this time of year. Now mind you I live in the middle of nowhere...my closest neighbors are cows...I have seen storms with rain comming down sideways and lightening so bright its like daytime...and not once has my power gone out. LAst night its spits rain for maybe 20min and my power goes out for 2hrs,,,,WTF.

Went to this biker place yesterday for party, a friend was invited so we could go to.

Last beer after getting home was outside my house at 4 am.

Still, I seem to not have had too much, since I can walk at this hour.

So this question has been rining in my head all day. Last night we had a pretty good thunderstorm roll thru. Nothin major...least not as severe as they usually are this time of year. Now mind you I live in the middle of nowhere...my closest neighbors are cows...I have seen storms with rain comming down sideways and lightening so bright its like daytime...and not once has my power gone out. LAst night its spits rain for maybe 20min and my power goes out for 2hrs,,,,WTF.

Wait until later today and you will have an answer to your question... I'll summon a little red troll.

My Fiance (hence the red troll) is an Electrical Engineer and I asked him about it. See his answer below:
I suspect the rain may be a red herring. The local electrical distribution system either had a planned outage that your power co should have informed you, or a fault on te local network. The 2 hours is the restoration time that basically is the time it takes for an engineer to get out your local electricity substation and investigate / repair the fault. Hope this explains things a bit.

My Fiance (hence the red troll) is an Electrical Engineer and I asked him about it. See his answer below:
I suspect the rain may be a red herring. The local electrical distribution system either had a planned outage that your power co should have informed you, or a fault on te local network. The 2 hours is the restoration time that basically is the time it takes for an engineer to get out your local electricity substation and investigate / repair the fault. Hope this explains things a bit.

Is that verbatim, just out of curiosity?

Makes since...I kinda figured if it was a problem in the line itself i t woulda taken a day or two to fix since our electric along with our telephone service is provided by a little co-op company. You should see it during a major storm. Couple years ago when we had hurricane reminents roll thru we were without power for 10 days,which sucked because I also had no water because I am to cheap to buy a generator for the well pump in such situations.

He's too lazy to register, so wrote under my username.

Are you a guy or a girl, just out of curiosity? You may have posted pictures and such but I have a memory like a sieve for the small detail.:lol::lol:

I'm a guy, and no I havent gotten around to posting any pictures in my 100 odd posts XD...one day:lol::loco:

I just wondered if it was verbatim cos it sounded almost like it was out of a text book and I was like *head explosion*

although I guess when youve been schooled up to an electrical engineer level youve read a lot of text books...I'll be experiencing that in the near future:zombie:

I'm a guy, and no I havent gotten around to posting any pictures in my 100 odd posts XD...one day:lol::loco:

I just wondered if it was verbatim cos it sounded almost like it was out of a text book and I was like *head explosion*

although I guess when youve been schooled up to an electrical engineer level youve read a lot of text books...I'll be experiencing that in the near future:zombie:

I thought as much...

He does talk like that when he talks electrical engineering. And what's worse, in every gathering there's at least two engineers. Rule of the universe, these beings gravitate towards each other. So I have spent many fustrating evenings looking on as he talks to his fellow engineers.
And yes, head explosion (or implosion) is what I feel when he launches on a technical explanation too. But he feels the same way when I start talking about grammar. each mind to its own!

thought this might be the best place for this...
check out Korpiklaani's new song/video!

Last edited by a moderator: