visually astonishing movies...

Arsenu,

Oct 30, 2008
so...
i'm trying to think what movie should i (legally, of course! :loco:) download next and iv'e kind of forgot all i know about the cinema after living without a TV for 8 monthes.

so what i'm looking for is movies like watchmen, seven pounds, the perfect getaway, hurt locker etc'...

movies that are visually BEUTIFUL and are mature (watchmen is kind of on-the-edge here), doesn't have to be new

i figure this could be are great thread to get to know only THE BEST of movies

Everything by Christopher Nolan is amazing in my opinion (insomnia, inception, both batman movies, prestige, memento...although memento is not as good visually as the rest).
One other movie that always comes to mind is Silent Hill, amazing visuals and art direction...although I'm not sure it's what you would consider "mature".
Thin Red Line is also great.

The Forbidden Kingdom: The Chinese landscape is absolutely beautiful, and you can't go wrong with Jackie Chan and Jet Li. Music is top notch as well, one of my favorite OSTs.
Fearless: Same with the landscape and the action sequences are captured wonderfully.
Ong Bak 2: Just watch it. Arguably the best martial arts movie ever made. The visual quality may not be on par with some of the other films (a little dark/dim at times), but Thailand is always a fresh change of pace.
I also second Hero. The wire-fu is absolutely ridiculous (in a good way).

As you can see I'm favoring martial arts flicks, but I absolutely love the scenery and well-choreographed (and filmed of course) action scenes. Astonishing may be subjective, but these are the creme of the crop.

Enter-the-Void-439x600.jpg

"Drawing Restraint"

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on Enter the Void.

Although no one touches Tarkovsky in the cinematography department. That man was a visual poet.

Bela Tarr is also great, but at making ugly beautiful.