Vortex Appreciation Thread

The bassist from uneXpect has a sweet bass.

unexpect1we4.jpg

A 9-string bass? Do they even sell those domestically or do they have to be custom-designed?

A 9-string bass? Do they even sell those domestically or do they have to be custom-designed?

The do, depending on the company. I'd never buy more than 6 though, because they are more for doing crazy shit like tapping. I've seen 12 string basses just hanging in stores (each of the 4 strings was grouped with 2 other higher pitched strings, like a 12-guitar), but I couldn't imagine something like that feeling comfortable, or even sounding good...and the guy wouldn't let me try it out becuase I had no intention of buying it (even though I saw it while paying for my $500 amp :bah:)

A bassist in my music program, who was much to advanced to be in the same classes as us imo, had two six string basses he would bring to school, one with and one without frets.

I'm too simple minded to for anything like 9 string fretless bass though :p.

The do, depending on the company. I'd never buy more than 6 though, because they are more for doing crazy shit like tapping.

That's basically what the guy from uneXpect does. They are a fucking crazy wild awesome band though, I love freaky avante-garde bands.

I'm too simple minded to for anything like 9 string fretless bass though :p.
:lol: It's an 8-string fretless. lrn2count

That's basically what the guy from uneXpect does. They are a fucking crazy wild awesome band though, I love freaky avante-garde bands.

:lol: It's an 8-string fretless. lrn2count

Chris said 9 and I went with it, I didn't count.
And I don't like freak avante-garde that much :erk:

Back on-topic now:

While trying my hand at Windows Movie Maker, I decided to make a video putting together all the clips of Vortex's parts from Dimmu's videos. Unfortunately, Windows Movie Maker sucks at life, so the transitions are not that great. But still, I like it. Enjoy.

Also, I just found out that Vortex does guest vocals on Dagoba's album What Hell is About. He's on the tracks "It's All About Time" and "The White Guy (Suicide)". I never could figure out it was him on those songs until now. Badass. (Sorry if old news is old here)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, here's a discussion starter. Relating to my above post, if you could see Vortex make a guest appearance with any band, who would it be, and what kind of song would it be on?

inb4: Someone says "every band ever." BESIDES THAT.

For me, I would love to see Vortex lend his voice to a Kalmah song. I think that Vortex's clean singing would make for an interesting duet with Pekka.

^probabley my favorite dimmu song along with In Deaths Embrace.
I actually don't like the melodic singing as much, but thats just me. I think this guy sounds fucking epic though.

:lol: @ Galder and his bald head :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, here's a discussion starter. Relating to my above post, if you could see Vortex make a guest appearance with any band, who would it be, and what kind of song would it be on?

I don't really care about hearing him make any guest appearances anymore. I want some solo work, something from him where he is the lead singer in the project. I mean there are some bands I would like to hear him sing with but they aren't like full on metal, I'd rather here some power/prog/avante garde stuff. Like Borknagar would be awesome for him to sing a track or two, I would shit bricks if he sang in Ayreon, maybe sing with an orchestra or a fully instrumental band (like Warmen or something).

For me, I would love to see Vortex lend his voice to a Kalmah song. I think that Vortex's clean singing would make for an interesting duet with Pekka.

No, no. That would be boring imo, and really I don't see how it would fit. There was never even been clean vocals in a Kalmah song, their style really doesn't fit it. I mean if he sang in a Melodeath band like Deadlock that would fit a bit better but I think he's done enough shit with backing vocals, I want some new lead stuff.

Nobody replying to my query....oh well.

Anyway, another something I made....

vortexsulk.gif

:loco:

Perhaps with Insomnium.

or maybe with Christian Alvestam or Mikael Stanne :)

Again, I don't see him fitting into Insomnium, but it COULD work. He could maybe sing with DT, although most of the clean vocals in DT are the exact opposite of his :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiiQJMLt2cc

^probabley my favorite dimmu song along with In Deaths Embrace.
I actually don't like the melodic singing as much, but thats just me. I think this guy sounds fucking epic though.

:lol: @ Galder and his bald head :p

Galder pwns your soul with his left nut. Old Man's Child is fucking brilliant, and Vortex's bass is probably bigger than you.

:erk: