Vortex Appreciation Thread

Ihsahn? He's done a lot of clean vocals in Emperor, especially during albums like Anthems. I don't consider him a singer either, but he's an awesome clean vocalist, IMO.
I haven't listened to enough Emperor to have an opinion.

No argument here. I like Ozzy better, but Dio is more... operatic.
I like Dio better, but Ozzy has better songs with Sabbath.

Meh. I like JFAC's vocalist mainly for the emotions they portray. Those are some really sick, and fucking twisted vocals, for sure. That's really the reason I like the band.

I actually cracked a smile and laughed too, no offense Butt. :lol:

The Butt said:
Ihsahn? He's done a lot of clean vocals in Emperor, especially during albums like Anthems. I don't consider him a singer either, but he's an awesome clean vocalist, IMO.

Ihsahn for me it's just average as a clean singer. Simen blows him away for sure. He's far from the epicness of Simen or Vintersorg.

Barlow it's nothing special for me neither. Bruce Dickinson pwns all that power metal vocalists.

The Butt said:
Meh. I like JFAC's vocalist mainly for the emotions they portray...

No offending you, but I ROFLed a lot....

^^^Ihsahns clean vocals has improved alot on his newest release "angL", but I see him mainly as a guitarist/keyboardist who just happens to sing aswell.

About Vortex, yes, he's great. Kinda sucks that becuase of the new and lower tuning on the new album (and probably future albums), the older material live is lower pitched than on the original recordings, and thus slightly less awesome.

Heartless Name said:
I like Dio better, but Ozzy has better songs with Sabbath.
I actually can't say I'm a fan of Dio's voice at all. What he has in range, he lacks in power. He corrected that for Dehumanizer, but still. :p

Also, I know I'm gonna get flamed for this probably, but I really can't stand Dickinson either. Three words: Too. Fucking. Nasal. :lol:

Heartless Name said:
I actually cracked a smile and laughed too, no offense Butt. :lol:
Bah, fair enough. :lol: I worded my post poorly, I guess.

But does JFAC not have some twisted fucking vocals? I mean, they rival Bethlehem's vocalist for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of Ihsahn, who here has heard his new album? It's quite good, and one song has guest vox from Mikael Akefeldt, which is always cool..

Lol hijack.

P4040225.jpg

:tickled:

I actually can't say I'm a fan of Dio's voice at all. What he has in range, he lacks in power. He corrected that for Dehumanizer, but still. :p

Also, I know I'm gonna get flamed for this probably, but I really can't stand Dickinson either. Three words: Too. Fucking. Nasal. :lol:

Bah, fair enough. :lol: I worded my post poorly, I guess.

But does JFAC not have some twisted fucking vocals? I mean, they rival Bethlehem's vocalist for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd7Mx6HA86c
Dude, you just have a very unique taste in metal. That is all I can say, all the vocalists you appreciate aren't that great in my opinion, and the ones you don't like or are a harsh critic of (Dio, Dickinson, Hestnaes) are amazing. Also, for me, those vocals in the video are Cradle of Filth meets a screamo band, with a touch of death metal. Maybe even Abbath if you kicked him in the balls 666 times :lol:.

Speaking of Ihsahn, who here has heard his new album? It's quite good, and one song has guest vox from Mikael Akefeldt, which is always cool..

Lol hijack.

I am was going to check it out but if Opeth has tainted it....

:lol: Just kidding, I am going to check it out though.

:lol: I have a few pics like that too, I am ALWAYS on the left side of the gate directly in front of Vortex at every Dimmu show :lol: God help anyone who tries to push me off too, trust me it hasn't been pretty :lol:

Well, as heartless said, you have a unique taste. Dickinson is THE heavy/power metal singer. Tell me if you can't stand this (a guy with 50 years old who's still kicking asses)

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=buyBFl1_3X8[/ame]

YES :worship:

Different strokes for different folks I guess...

:lol: Yeah. Some people like to eat gross shit but that;s fine let them, more delicious things for me. Also, for those who haven't heard, apparently Vortex plans to do some guest vocals on the upcoming Borknagar album, any thoughts on that? I'll get the sauce in a minute.

I know you’ve talked about the whole Borknagar thing before. Given the chance now, would ever go back? Like be in Borknagar and Dimmu Borgir at the same time.

Um, I talked to Øystein a couple months ago and he sent me some new demo stuff. There’s one song, an old song, I think he’s had it since ’98, called 'My Domain', and its super cool and I definitely want to do that one. I’m not sure if I’m going to do a full length with Borknagar, that’s probably not going to happen.

But just like a couple in studio tracks.

At least I want to do that one song because I really really like it. And my best friend, Jens, is in the band again. So it would be very cool to be back, but I don’t think I have the time for a whole album. And I don’t know if I like the new material as much as I like the old material.

Well, as heartless said, you have a unique taste.
That's more than likely. I guess I just prefer the more abrasive forms of metal (like black, and death metal) as opposed to power metal and stuff.

Well, as heartless said, you have a unique taste.
Dickinson is THE heavy/power metal singer. Tell me if you can't stand this (a guy with 50 years old who's still kicking asses)

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=buyBFl1_3X8[/ame][/QUOTE]

I think Dickinson is technically, a good vocalist; like, he can hit the notes and everything, but I really just do not like him, personally. I find his voice way too nasal, as I said before. :lol: