Vortex Appreciation Thread

Anyone knows something about what is Lamented Souls actually doing?

I think I mentioned something about it on the Borknagar forum but this is what he told me when we hung out on April 2nd:

Actually, no. He said that they will begin working on a new Dimmu album in 2009. He has a lot of interest in Lamented Souls though. He said they have a a bunch of songs done, 4 really great ones and a few that he feels are 'fillers'. He isn't in any rush to do it though, he wants to make sure that it gets done well since he doesn't need it out there. LS haven't practiced in years he said, but they are still a band and keep in touch. They want to get it out there he's just so busy. He's looking forward to getting the time to make it as good as possible. I was sad to hear him talk that way because it did sound like it was going to be years before it was done, but he didn't say an actual time frame.

And this is from an interview genocidal roach did:

Awesome. So how many projects are you in now? said:
Good question. The Lamented Souls thing which I hope we’re going to be able to do something about that soon. There’s an album that we haven’t recorded yet. It’s been ready; it’s just been laying on the shelf for years and years and years. But we never get together, and it’s really sad because everyone in the band loves Lamented Souls and we’re really good friends. But we’ve been kind of spread around a little bit too, around Norway and shit. I don’t think we feel the pressure on that one. That’s just one of the things that’s going to be really cool to do, and enjoy releasing it. That’s probably going to be it for Lamented Souls. There’s going to be one new album, I don’t want to rush it or anything because I just want it to be as sweet as possible. The more contacts I get now through Dimmu and producers and stuff like that it’s going to be easier to release an album like that and I want it to sound as good as possible. So we’ll see. Another 5 years maybe, I have no idea. I hope not, but we’ll see what happens

Not a big fan of Vortex's voice, in all honesty. He's good, but nothing about his voice strikes me as amazing. When it comes to clean vocalists, I prefer baritones like Matt Barlow or Johan Lanquist. There are exceptions, such as Ozzy, or Ihsahn, but those only prove the rule for me. :p

Not a big fan of Vortex's voice, in all honesty. He's good, but nothing about his voice strikes me as amazing. When it comes to clean vocalists, I prefer baritones like Matt Barlow or Johan Lanquist. There are exceptions, such as Ozzy, or Ihsahn, but those only prove the rule for me. :p

He's not just a clean vocalist either, and he's not a singer imo. He has a really unique sound, so I call him a vocalist :p singer and vocalist are different for me, for instance, Dio is a singer, Ozzy is a vocalist in my mind, if that helps. Also, I'm not a big Matt Barlow fan so that shows that we have conflicting tastes. Don't you also like Job For a Cowboy? Not saying that to start a flame war, I'm just saying I am not into those kinds of vocals too much either.

He's not just a clean vocalist either, and he's not a singer imo. He has a really unique sound, so I call him a vocalist :p
Ihsahn? He's done a lot of clean vocals in Emperor, especially during albums like Anthems. I don't consider him a singer either, but he's an awesome clean vocalist, IMO.

singer and vocalist are different for me, for instance, Dio is a singer, Ozzy is a vocalist in my mind, if that helps.
No argument here. I like Ozzy better, but Dio is more... operatic.

Also, I'm not a big Matt Barlow fan so that shows that we have conflicting tastes. Don't you also like Job For a Cowboy? Not saying that to start a flame war, I'm just saying I am not into those kinds of vocals too much either.
Meh. I like JFAC's vocalist mainly for the emotions they portray. Those are some really sick, and fucking twisted vocals, for sure. That's really the reason I like the band.