Vortex splits with Dimmu borgir

Okay it has officially been confirmed.. still wondering what the real reason is though.

Btw: "Arc will reunion for sure" is also what he said ;) Now the question is when!

1st off.....who cares? Metal is all about having fun and Im sick of reading drama online that turns it into a big political battle over assumptions from people who always have something negative to say--ex: blabbermouth and the idiots who comment on everything.
It sucks for me, being a Dimmu fan, that the 2 ingredients that made Dimmu so unique in sound, will no longer make that sound. From how Ive seen that band transform, it all ended for me with Nick departing anyway. That guy took the band from a black metal band, to a new extreme.
2nd.... saying Arcturus will get back together, from a supposed text message is childish and knowing the people in Arcturus, I can assure you, they would make an official press release regarding anything to do with Arcturus...NOT send some dude a text and leak any info to the world through some guy who claims to know HH. Not trying to be a dick here but Im 100% positive that Arcturus is capable of making their own statements and would NEVER jump the gun and start texting people that they are back. Though, it would be nice to see them again. Metal has warped into 1 big shit storm and I know very few musicians who actually still hold the hunger and that passion for creating something unique. Lucky for me, I play with 5 of the few who I can say are totally passionate human beings when it comes to their music. Everything else that I see out there, has been recycled so much OVER and OVER that now, Id almost be happier seeing the majority of metal just fade away and make room for something completely new and off the wall. Look at Slayer with Dave Lombardo back.....its horrible. Those guys cant write the way they did back in the late 80's because they dont have the hunger anymore. They made their $$$ and keep doing it so they can make their $$$. It used to be about destroying......now its about making sure the check still comes in. Perhaps, its time for a total metal cleansation so when it comes back in a couple years, it can be treated like an art again.

1st off.....who cares? This is the Borknagar forum. It sucks for me, being a Dimmu fan, that the 2 ingredients that made Dimmu so unique in sound, will no longer make that sound. From how Ive seen that band transform, it all ended for me with Nick departing anyway. That guy took the band from a black metal band, to a new extreme.
2nd.... saying Arcturus will get back together, from a supposed text message is childish and knowing the people in Arcturus, I can assure you, they would make an official press release regarding anything to do with Arcturus...NOT send you a text and leak any info to the world through some guy who claims to know HH. Not trying to be a dick here but Im 100% positive that Arcturus is capable of making their own statements and would NEVER jump the gun and start texting people that they are back. Though, it would be nice to see them again

Well, I care, and I think there alot of Vortex fans here that care as well! Just curious to know the reason, that's all. Yeah I know it's a Borknagar forum, but atleast now we have something else to talk about ;)

About point 2: I understand, now that I read it again i understand it may sound kinda childish towards other people.

But I'm just saying that there have been reports that they get back together. Of course they will make an official statement when the time is right, but for now it's at least *some* news to look forward to for any Arcturus fans!

ps. I'm not 'bragging' or something like that, I'm just mailing/smsing with HH every now and then and thought I'd post it here. Nothing official of course.

Well, I care, and I think there alot of Vortex fans here that care as well! Just curious to know the reason, that's all. Yeah I know it's a Borknagar forum, but atleast now we have something else to talk about ;)

About point 2: I understand, now that I read it again i understand it may sound kinda childish towards other people.

But I'm just saying that there have been reports that they get back together. Of course they will make an official statement when the time is right, but for now it's at least *some* news to look forward to for any Arcturus fans!

ps. I'm not 'bragging' or something like that, I'm just mailing/smsing with HH every now and then and thought I'd post it here. Nothing official of course.

You're in Amsterdam? Where at? Im in Leiden.

What are you doing there? ;)

I'm, well, right now at work at Amsterdam Sloterdijk (north of A'dam). I live in Amsterdam ZuidOost (South-East) myself.

My girlfriend lives here. Ive been stuck in this country since 2 weeks before Wacken. Since when I fly internationally, I get raped by the airlines for excess baggage charges, I figured sitting around in Holland for 6 weeks until our shows at the end of September would be a good idea. How wrong I was. hahaha. No drums, 13 channels on the TV (11 that I cant understand) no good Chicago pizza, and my bike got stolen 3 days after I got it.

My girlfriend lives here. Ive been stuck in this country since 2 weeks before Wacken. Since when I fly internationally, I get raped by the airlines for excess baggage charges, I figured sitting around in Holland for 6 weeks until our shows at the end of September would be a good idea. How wrong I was. hahaha. No drums, 13 channels on the TV (11 that I cant understand) no good Chicago pizza, and my bike got stolen 3 days after I got it.

Ah cool!

There are some practice rooms in Amsterdam (Melody Line is a good one). I can ask around if there are other good places. Always a drumkit there.

Also some big music stores like Feedback in Utrecht (~20 min from Amsterdam).

About your bike: expect to get alot more stolen (if you plan on getting a new one)! It's like totally normal here if your bike gets stolen :) Especially in the centrum of Amsterdam.

New York Pizza is good (I guess they have them everywhere).

If you are bored, you can check if there are some bands playing in Patronaat (Haarlem, going there in 2 weeks for Paganfest), Melkweg (Amsterdam), Paradiso (Amsterdam).

Plenty of stuff to do in the Netherlands!

In all seriousness though, Im kind of known to be someone who speaks my mind...A LOT. When I see bullshit in progress, I declare bullshit. I watch the world go and I come to my own conclusions about things. Ive seen so many of my favorite bands fall and break up over drama and Ive stopped following many of my once favorite bands because they cause so much drama. Ive always had a personal project called MonarcH, that has been put on the back burner due to me joining other bands. Usually, its to help out because a band needs a drummer. In the Borknagar case, I wanted Borknagar really bad. My project is one big influence of the right things Ive learned through the years from my favorite bands. Ive learned what NOT to do with music and the number 1 thing that you should never do in a metal band is forget where you came from and why you started playing metal. I started because I fucking love KISS and Iron Maiden. I looked at both of these bands as super heroes when I was a kid. I said "fuck, I want to rule the world like they do"......so I started on my quest to do so. Luckly enough, Borknagar was always a band that I loved but never quite understood. The music was amazing and they never followed the path of tits on album covers and going commercial. When Asgeir left, I thought "damn, I have to try to get into that band so I can learn more".....Not become a famous drummer and grow an ego...just go play for one of my favorite bands.. Now, I get to play drums for them. I appreciate that I have made friends with such interesting people but really, Im in Borknagar because I feel the music. We are friends outside of the music. Recording UNIVERSAL was such a personal time for me because 1 month before, my Grandmother passed away. She was the only person who ever pushed me to do what I love. Music. The drumming on this album was going to come straight from my heart. It did. I didnt join for money or fame...just to be a part of something great musically. We have such a stable line-up and I think its due to the fact that we look at eachother as friends rather than buisness partners and we dont let anything get between us and the music. Thats the most important thing in a band. Ive been in bands that have a football team for a past line-up. Malevolent Creation, Arsis...there have been more previous members in those bands than I can even count. Wheres the magic for them? It doesnt exist anymore. Dimmu has had 5 different drummers in a period of 2 albums. People dont look at the real meaning of what its all about anymore and this really sucks. Dont hire a guy because he can play your shit....Hire him because he can feel your music and play it with passion and heart.

I really hope that one day, all these egos and attitudes in the music biz will just fuck off and the world can see the true meaning of metal again.

I remember that Nick's departure was really like Mustis's.

2nd.... saying Arcturus will get back together, from a supposed text message is childish and knowing the people in Arcturus, I can assure you, they would make an official press release regarding anything to do with Arcturus...NOT send some dude a text and leak any info to the world through some guy who claims to know HH. Not trying to be a dick here but Im 100% positive that Arcturus is capable of making their own statements and would NEVER jump the gun and start texting people that they are back. Though, it would be nice to see them again.

To assume that Arcturus will return just for this is truly childish. Of course that I hope that happen on the future, being on the top 3 of my fav bands, but this situation is hardly influential on that matter...

As Vortex himself said, Arcturus was done for Sverd's decision and lack of inspiration. I just hope that he is composing new stuff right now and calls the guys on the near future, as well I hope Vortex keeps going on with music and gets new bands or restarts some old projects he left behind/frozen (ex: Lamented Souls).

Dimmu was doing it really well on For all Tid/Stormblast/EDT days, maybe this guys can do some nice music after this.

Metal has warped into 1 big shit storm and I know very few musicians who actually still hold the hunger and that passion for creating something unique. Lucky for me, I play with 5 of the few who I can say are totally passionate human beings when it comes to their music. Everything else that I see out there, has been recycled so much OVER and OVER that now, Id almost be happier seeing the majority of metal just fade away and make room for something completely new and off the wall. Look at Slayer with Dave Lombardo back.....its horrible. Those guys cant write the way they did back in the late 80's because they dont have the hunger anymore. They made their $$$ and keep doing it so they can make their $$$. It used to be about destroying......now its about making sure the check still comes in. Perhaps, its time for a total metal cleansation so when it comes back in a couple years, it can be treated like an art again.

I'm kinda agree with you. I'm more into the 'underground' metal mainly for being honest about making music like a real expression of themselves instead doing it like a job. This can sound weird, but most of the bands that have the music as the main thing on their lives, at the end the only thing that they do is shitty music to appeal the masses and get the cash.

On these late years I have seen a lot the phrase 'we will return to our roots' when that really means that their creative flame has just extinguished and the bands start to rip-off themselves (like Metallica and so many others)... the worst thing is that the common metalhead just want that: to hear the same shit over and over instead of appreciating the new ideas. A very common statement is: 'oh, their 2 or 3 first albums were amazing, the rest is shit'; sometimes I think that (mostly on heavy/thrash) but from some another styles like black, death or doom - styles with more chances to bring some new to the table - the majority of my fav albums were released on the middle or at the end of the creative process of my fav bands (like Empyrium's Weiland, Death's Symbolic/TSOP or Borknagar's Empiricism/Epic albums). Still there are bands who keeps innovating on metal and some new ones that come with new concepts...

Instead of keeping the critics with the whole 'scene', maybe a good idea is start to make our own music and do a change little by little...who knows what can happen on the future, right?

In the Borknagar case, I wanted Borknagar really bad. (.......) I said "fuck, I want to rule the world like they do"(......) so I started on my quest to do so. Luckly enough, Borknagar was always a band that I loved but never quite understood. (........) When Asgeir left, I thought "damn, I have to try to get into that band so I can learn more"....

It must feel great to have accomplished that goal!

@ Dave:

I disagree with you on the Vortex stuff, I care ;) .

I didn't know that it was a dream for you to play in Borknagar, it's truly an honour, congratulations :kickass: .

But yeah I agree, I was really sad when Hellhammer left the band, and now two more guys? It always happens in the commercial bands.

Oh so you played in Malevolent Creation? They've had so many drummers that I missed your name in the list :p . They're actually coming here, I guess I'll go see them.

@ Allfader:

Yes, Metal has become very commercial, just look at Lefay's and my comments on the other thread.

I have a band with a friend, maybe that'll do some good to the piece-of-crap scene that exists in Costa Rica, if we ever release something :p .

I still hope that Arcturus will someday release something new, but I don't think it'll happen any time soon.

1st off.....who cares? Metal is all about having fun and Im sick of reading drama online that turns it into a big political battle over assumptions from people who always have something negative to say--ex: blabbermouth and the idiots who comment on everything.
It sucks for me, being a Dimmu fan, that the 2 ingredients that made Dimmu so unique in sound, will no longer make that sound. From how Ive seen that band transform, it all ended for me with Nick departing anyway. That guy took the band from a black metal band, to a new extreme.
2nd.... saying Arcturus will get back together, from a supposed text message is childish and knowing the people in Arcturus, I can assure you, they would make an official press release regarding anything to do with Arcturus...NOT send some dude a text and leak any info to the world through some guy who claims to know HH. Not trying to be a dick here but Im 100% positive that Arcturus is capable of making their own statements and would NEVER jump the gun and start texting people that they are back. Though, it would be nice to see them again. Metal has warped into 1 big shit storm and I know very few musicians who actually still hold the hunger and that passion for creating something unique. Lucky for me, I play with 5 of the few who I can say are totally passionate human beings when it comes to their music. Everything else that I see out there, has been recycled so much OVER and OVER that now, Id almost be happier seeing the majority of metal just fade away and make room for something completely new and off the wall. Look at Slayer with Dave Lombardo back.....its horrible. Those guys cant write the way they did back in the late 80's because they dont have the hunger anymore. They made their $$$ and keep doing it so they can make their $$$. It used to be about destroying......now its about making sure the check still comes in. Perhaps, its time for a total metal cleansation so when it comes back in a couple years, it can be treated like an art again.

When Dimmu Borgir first came out they were writing atmospheric pieces without Mustis. I thought he brought a movie soundtrack like feel to the albums that ruin some of the black metal feel. I like some of his pieces, but in a way Im glad his era is over and Borgir are starting a new one.

Vortex seems to have bad luck with bands or something because he seems to never stay in one for too long. He has a strong voice and good growls, I don't know why he doesn't just start his own band. Im sure he will find something.

Nick Barker is an awesome drummer, and I dont know why Dimmu didn't hire him permanent. Though I have noticed that Dimmu Borgir does not hire a permanent drummer, they utilize random session hired drummers like Hellhammer.

I have noticed that Slayer have gave up on trying to write epic tracks because the 2 new songs I heard were like punk songs, around 2-3 minutes with 2-3 riffs. Hopefully their will be some decent songs on their new album "world painted blood."

Arcturus...Godbless them i hope they come back from the grave!:headbang:

When Dimmu Borgir first came out they were writing atmospheric pieces without Mustis. I thought he brought a movie soundtrack like feel to the albums that ruin some of the black metal feel. I like some of his pieces, but in a way Im glad his era is over and Borgir are starting a new one.

Vortex seems to have bad luck with bands or something because he seems to never stay in one for too long. He has a strong voice and good growls, I don't know why he doesn't just start his own band. Im sure he will find something.

Nick Barker is an awesome drummer, and I dont know why Dimmu didn't hire him permanent. Though I have noticed that Dimmu Borgir does not hire a permanent drummer, they utilize random session hired drummers like Hellhammer.

I have noticed that Slayer have gave up on trying to write epic tracks because the 2 new songs I heard were like punk songs, around 2-3 minutes with 2-3 riffs. Hopefully their will be some decent songs on their new album "world painted blood."

Arcturus...Godbless them i hope they come back from the grave!:headbang:

Yes, I completely agree! Mr.V-ortex seems to always have bad luck. He should have his own band (Vortex and Friends :p) , or at least a Lamented Souls album.

Arcturus :kickass: .

Well it's about time...

If Arcturus comes back, they will never be as good as they used to be... Proven time and time again, bring a band back together after several years, and they just suck...