Watershed: Are you disapointed with it?

I quite like the record. The only thing I was a little bummed about was the lack of the Would? cover, but I'll live.

And Mike, if you're still around...Are you guys ever going to come to Las Vegas, Nevada or Utah to play? I remember you guys went to Salt Lake City a year back I think, but I wasn't able to come. You guys need to come back!

Mikael Åkerfeldt;7334555 said:
Glad most of you like it!
To be honest I can't remember ever having gotten such great response to a new record....

As for the people not liking it, fine, I understand. It's not for everyone I guess. But don't ask us to "go back"...that will never happen I'm afraid.

Remember that even your favourite records are hated by others, and vice versa. There are no "facts" about the greatness of a record. It's purely individual. I mean, I love "The elder" by Kiss. Go and see what the general opinion on that record is....who's right? No one is....

As for me? I think Watershed is great! One of our best, maybe the best! But you all knew I'd say that....
And it IS one of the darkest and heaviest records we've ever done. To me it is...

Either way people, thanks for your support and even, thanks for your concern.

Mikey

Well put, Mike

I'm not disappointed at all. I've had it for a week now and I still hear something different every time I play it. In a strange way it reminds me of my favorite band (Voivod), even though it at no time actually sounds like Voivod. Probably all the weirdness....very Piggy-like. :loco:

Gëist;7333239 said:
Opeth is still metal, except for those extreme music lovers who have lost all common sense by listening too much violent stuff.

:kickass::lol::kickass:

I can definitely say that i'm very happy with Watershed. I liked half the songs right away, and it took me quite a few listens to get into the other the songs, but it seemed like all of a sudden I loved them.

This has been a trend for me though. Most of Opeth's albums have taken a good number of listens for me to really get into them. But eventually, I concider them masterpieces that I'll never stop loving. Watershed is no different.:headbang:

Most great music is like that for me.

I'm not too excited by the new album. There really isn't one song that I enjoy from start to finish. There are a bunch of sections throughout the album that I really like, but as a whole, nothing stands out. Hessian Peel would probably be my favorite track, but even that trends downward as the song goes on.

And I don't feel any real atmosphere with this album either. For me, atmosphere has always been a big part of Opeth's music. In particular, albums like Morningrise, MAYH and Still Life all had a undeniably cold atmosphere. I haven't gotten that feeling from an Opeth album since Blackwater Park. Maybe Watershed will grow on me, but just when I start to get into it (and believe me, I'm trying), there's a section that I just don't like that kills the mood.

i duno y alota ppl are dissapointed wit this album...opeth r just benig opeth...watever direction they take its just opeth being true to themselves and i think thts a really good thing they r doin...im not just being a fanboy or watever...im just stating the obvious... :)

I agree I repect Mike for trying something "different". I just wish they could of catered so to speak for there die hard fans who have liked them for far longer then majority of their current fans. There still my favourite band, I just hope they eventually do a "classic" Opeth ablum. Hell even one similar to Blackwater Park and or Deliverence! But for me it's back to :headbang:ing to their older stuff!!! FUCK YEAH. I will still support them even though their new stuff does nothing for me. But hey I still cant get enough of their older stuf so i'm happy.

this is where you went terribly wrong
"I just wish they could of catered so to speak for there die hard fans"
and
"I just hope they eventually do a "classic" Opeth album"

if an artist begins to feel like he has to cater to anyone but himself, ESPECIALLY to his fans, the music will be complete shit. As for a classic Opeth album...there is no classic opeth. Like all music that isn't Britney Spears, the definition and boundaries of what opeth is changes...fuck...like every month. A classic opeth album is every opeth album...whether you like it or not.

Everyone has their opinion, so I'm not going to argue. I, personally, love the CD and consider it to be one of their best.

Before I bought the record, I was sure that I would be dissapointed, and I even took steps to avoid that. I refused to listen to the tracks released or the leaks (I heard HA once live and once on youtube, and PH once), and I was going to wait like three weeks after the release before I bought it.

Then I had 20 minutes to kill one day and I went into a record shop. I saw Watershed sitting there in the shelf, and I felt the urge to buy it. I actually flipped a coin to decide to buy it or not, and the cointoss came in favour of the purchase.

So I took it home and I've been listening to it here and there. I really, really love it right now.
Some arrangements seem a bit bland ATM, but the jury is still out on it.
Not at all dissapointed, that's for damn fucking sure.

I think that the mixed responses everyone gives is something that makes Opeth, Opeth. Everyone thought and hoped it was going to be an atmospheric, twisted return to the old BM-influenced Opeth and they get something so diverse that comes from Mikael himself - I think that's what I like about it, because I can almost read his mind with the songs. Sure, it's not a Blackwater Park or a Still Life. That's why we have those albums, to show the pathway that leads to each record. I've had time to digest it and of course, thought it was so fucking awesome to be listening to fucking Watershed. People just become blindsided with the status of how a band that has risen to this peak works, adding the factors of Peter's departure and Axe's fill-in. I don't care what anybody says - Akesson brought spice to this record, and generally adds to the 'how the fuck did they do that' feeling. Alot of times people in bands will say they make the music for their enjoyment and it's not always for the fans, though most bands tend to lean towards the pleasing the masses approach - like I stated above, with Watershed, it's a bit of a collective example of your creativity. That's what makes it so cool to me.

Mikael, if you read this at all; I find it so incredibly generous to have a direct response coming from the one behind it all - not forgetting the rest of the team, as one of my favorite past-times while enjoying any Opeth song is to pick apart the different parts each person plays - because I feel I'm closer to Opeth than someone who just listens to them. It's something I think everyone on this forum should feel grateful for.

Overall as a new listener to opeth, I really enjoyed the album. The songs that stood out for me are Coil, Burden, and Hessian Peel. Every song is pretty solid.

I am very disappointed with WS as an album. It just can't compare to the rest of their output, the songs aren't that strong and it sounds kind of mashed together at the last second. Especially the last three songs are not up to Opeth's usual tight-as-hell, beautifully brutal and brutally beautiful standards of songwriting and production.
I'm not one of those uberfans who thinks Opeth should go back to sounding like they did in 1995-1998 or whatever. I like those first three or so albums a lot, but it would be ridiculous not to mention a dumb gimmick to boot if Opeth all of a sudden started sounding like Morningrise v.2008 or something. GR was a huge step forward and it was amazing, IMO. I think Watershed isn't really a "step back" or anything, just not quite a step forward either. I'd call it something of a sidestep I suppose, which is completely understandable given the circumstances (the lineup changes).

I think that the mixed responses everyone gives is something that makes Opeth, Opeth. Everyone thought and hoped it was going to be an atmospheric, twisted return to the old BM-influenced Opeth and they get something so diverse that comes from Mikael himself - I think that's what I like about it, because I can almost read his mind with the songs. Sure, it's not a Blackwater Park or a Still Life. That's why we have those albums, to show the pathway that leads to each record. I've had time to digest it and of course, thought it was so fucking awesome to be listening to fucking Watershed. People just become blindsided with the status of how a band that has risen to this peak works, adding the factors of Peter's departure and Axe's fill-in. I don't care what anybody says - Akesson brought spice to this record, and generally adds to the 'how the fuck did they do that' feeling. Alot of times people in bands will say they make the music for their enjoyment and it's not always for the fans, though most bands tend to lean towards the pleasing the masses approach - like I stated above, with Watershed, it's a bit of a collective example of your creativity. That's what makes it so cool to me.

Mikael, if you read this at all; I find it so incredibly generous to have a direct response coming from the one behind it all - not forgetting the rest of the team, as one of my favorite past-times while enjoying any Opeth song is to pick apart the different parts each person plays - because I feel I'm closer to Opeth than someone who just listens to them. It's something I think everyone on this forum should feel grateful for.

This and only this.

Because we live in reality. Demons aren't real.

Examples of Demons and Murder and Death being fun to listen to in a silly metal way, but not "dark" in a serious way that actually relates to anything that has ever happened in the real life of the person writing or listening to the material:

Just about every metal band that has a skull, demon, blood or violence on the front cover. :Smug:

You never thought once that demons and satan were, you know, metaphors for some kind of underlying reality that we are all afraid of? Because to me, if I was living in a fantasyland and if in reality there was no god, if the world was violent chaotic and unforgiving, there would be nothing darker than the knowledge of those facts. And maybe it's the metal bands who are choosing to live in real life, while those who think it's 'silly' and 'just a bit of fun' are covering up their own ignorance. When Mary Shelly wrote Frankenstein, she wasn't actually writing about a comedy about a dude making a silly monster. Just something to think about.