Watershed: Are you disapointed with it?

So fucking down about coming to Opeth forums and seeing 'Are You Disappointed' and 'Songs You Hate' as the 2 top threads. Delete

I wasn't disappointed at all.

As many have said, first listen through I wasn't sure... but then I realized I couldn't stop listening to it. I think it's really amazing.

Personally, I don't see much point in saying one album is better than another with a band as good as Opeth. There isn't an Opeth album that I don't like, and comparing them is a bit silly because Opeth has grown a lot. They've progressed... and that's what keeps it interesting. Some people say "I was hoping for another MAYH or Orchid or Still Life... that's just stupid! Don't get me wrong, those are all amazing albums, but I don't want to hear copies of them.

I'm glad Opeth is keeping it fresh and moving forward, while still doing all of the things that make Opeth the best band out there.

I miss Lopez and Peter... but Axe is a sick drummer and he grew on me very quickly. Still don't think I can say I like him as much as Lopez but that also doesn't seem fair to say because it's only his first album with them.. I'm sure it will only get better from here.

I'd say Watershed might be the best album of the year, for me anyways. Even though were only half way through the year. It might even beat Metallica's new one for me.

Come on. There's no competition. It's been about two decades since Metallica released something really good. I really doubt they'll come even near Watershed on their new release unless they do something completely unexpected.

Not at all, and In fact it rekindled some lost interest in the band. I'm glade they're pushing the whole more dynamic thing because thats what progression is all about. Hopefully next time they'll step even more out of their shell because by now its desperately needed.

same. I feel like one of the few people that didn't like GR as much as the other albums, and I think watershed's definitely above deliverance and GR for me. Just my opinion though.

I haven't heard all of it or bought it
as yet, shameful of me, I know!!

But I have every confidence in Mikaels
writing / composing genius so I will have
WS in a short while. :)

My head is full of other matters
in life atm. ;)

For me, Watershed is anything but a disappointment. I liked it right from the start, but it did take a little while to grow on me. At first it was like "This is good, I like it." Now after several listens it's like "This is fantastic...this band is only getting better". I'm not sure how I would rank it amongst the other albums just yet, but I can't see how any fan of the band could say this album is a "disappointment".

Here's a little excerpt from the interview with Mikael in Decibel magazine. I think this sums it up perfectly.

"This album is harder to penetrate than the other ones. Yet I think you will be immediately interested if you like Opeth. Once it sinks in, if you give it that many chances, there's no other way than to love it. It's an interesting record. It doesn't sound like a bunch of bored, jaded rockers who are trying to get an extra buck. I think it sounds like a band with many fresh ideas."

I can't help but agree with that statement.

I think Watershed was a great album in all due respect....but it is also my least favorite Opeth album by a landslide. I've listened to my friends copy of Watershed numerous times, and it actually really motivated me not to buy it. It's not that I've heard it too much and have become sick of it...but rather that I just can't get into it. I can't put into words just how dissapointed I am...but this album has been my "most looked forward to album" since Ghost Reveries came out. To wait that long for an album and then not even like it is pretty crushing.

I think my biggest complaint is that I really miss the dark sound of older Opeth albums. The new album (to me at least) gets really upbeat and bright sounding too often (I'm really not a fan of the major chords Mike used on the CD). It just really killed the mood of the album for me.

I think I would have liked the album much more if there was more than two and a half heavy tracks on it. Sure, Hex Omega has its moments of heaviness...but that track is also the only Opeth song in existence that I can honestly say I don't like at least a little bit.

Maybe the next CD will be darker and heavier...but if not, oh well I guess, I'll always have the first 8 albums to listen to.

I agree with you totally. For me, WS just lacks atmosphere in general... it seems a bit all over the place. I don't recall a moment that ever made me think 'Fuck! That's evil'; not even Heir Apparent. Whereas all of it's predecessor's (par Damnation ofc) have given me that feeling...

I agree with FFS that Porcelain Heart is a bit of a drag, but so was Harvest, The Funeral Portrait, Blackwater Park, Atonement... I can live with that (and I even find Heart better than the aforementioned songs); the sheer genius of the rest of the discography weighs up for a few flaws..

Are you serious??? You think Blackwater Park, Harvest and The Funeral Portraits classify as "drags"??? And you don't like Hex Omega one bit??? I can't even wrap my fucken brain around that.

Don't get me wrong you're entitled to your own opinion, it just blows my fucken mind.

i was more disappointed that martin lopez left the band, but the album fucking wailed left right and center regardless.

I've only been listening to Opeth since the Opeth /Nevermore tour but I have picked up all their albums and listen to them daily .

I tend to like more musicly complex stuff and less cookie monster vocals so the new album is quite simply put ,amazing in every way .
I can't stop listening to it and every other album Opeth has released .

^Lol.. I thought your nick was Hammertime!

I agree with ometh.. This album doesn't have that sort of production atmosphere..
Its all very clear and nice.. Completly the opposite from what the music it self is supposed to be, chaotic and distorded..

I must say, after having a break from listening to Watershed, I played Hessian Peel today, and WOW! This is such a kickass song I must say it is on my top 5 opeth-songs right now! God, I love the metal-riff in the middle. It's painfull not to headbang to it, seriously. The album is now better than ever in my oppinion.

I must say, after having a break from listening to Watershed, I played Hessian Peel today, and WOW! This is such a kickass song I must say it is on my top 5 opeth-songs right now! God, I love the metal-riff in the middle. It's painfull not to headbang to it, seriously. The album is now better than ever in my oppinion.

Agreed. I played it non-stop and loved it. Had a break, listened to it last night and loved it even more. The only song that doesn't work for me is Porcelain Heart which has good bits but never seems to quite gel for me..

Ok, OP'er here. I'm very happy to say I feel a dick. I've been listening to the album for the last few weeks straight pretty much. It's grown on me in a big way. I can't get enough of Coil. But saying that, am I still disapointed? Yes in a way as I would like to see more heavier kickass songs! Anyways i'm sorry that I offended some fans here who loved the album since release and especially Mike I dont really want Opeth to "go back". But for me I hope their next release has at least one br00tal song on it! One that I can headbang to for hours on end! One so epic I just cant stop thinking about it! I still have my "fads" with deliverence where I just listen to that song for weeks swinging my head and arms around like a mad man having what feels like where life just can't get any better! Thats truely what I love about Opeth, I can't think of a word to describe it except they are simply just fucking epic! I'm going to live off as little as possible for the next few months and hopefully I can afford to come see Opeth in Melbourne!

Once again sorry for being so negative about the best band ever.