Watershed SE Samples

Is anyone else of the opinion that "Watershed" actually means "watered down"? I really do enjoy some of the tracks on the album, but it seems like they aren't building onto their harsh metal base as much as I admire the mellow change, it definitely is missing some Opethian essentials.

always and evermore.

nope, watershed IS epic. their softest regular album to date (not including damnation), but that doesnt mean it isnt epic. its a masterpiece.

It isn't so much that the album isn't epic as much as it lacks that which have since come to know as the distinctive Opeth calling card. The mellowed tones have somewhat weakened the nature of the beast in Opeth although I do agree that this work is epic in it's unique state. Maybe this is a transitional work to progress to a new arena of music. Who knows what will lurk ahead for the Opethian future? Patience and time will tell.

Always and evermore.

hmmm...

This has been covered many, many times over. The distinction of Opeth is largely the result of there constant changing and progression. I'm friggin' psyched for Opeth's 9th observation!

Derelict Herds sounds awesome!

Just a quick question. Will the special edition be available in stores (Best Buy, etc) on the day of the release?

Is anyone else of the opinion that "Watershed" actually means "watered down"? I really do enjoy some of the tracks on the album, but it seems like they aren't building onto their harsh metal base as much as I admire the mellow change, it definitely is missing some Opethian essentials.

always and evermore.

As much as I am a die-hard Opeth fan, I just can't get into the new sound. I don't care if it's metal or not, Opeth has always been a mix. I think the new songs just don't come off as dark or emotional as prior stuff. The new machine-gun growls I can't stand, and the over the top clean vocals are too much. I really hope this new sound will grow on me...

i enjoy them. im pleased with the direction opeth has taken. for those who disagree, just remember that the next album will probably be completely different from watershed.

only listening to the samples once. But i thought prior to hearing delrect i thought it was going to be REALLY mellow. im glad its not

To the naysayers - change can be a good thing. Look up the word "progress." I'm confident that it won't say anything about remaining idle and keeping the status quo. That's what I absolutely love about this band - their ability to reach out and try new things. If I kept hearing alterations of MAYH or SL, I'd eventually lose interest. I'd also bet that the day Mike decides not to push the limits of his musicianship and that of the band would be the day he puts down his guitar and call it quits.

The new sound is without question influenced by the new members of the band. You're NOT going to hear the same thing when Peter and Martin were in the band because they are different musicians with different styles and influences. You may not like what you're hearing so far with the new album, but the reality is that you're going to have to deal with it or step off the bus.

I say that this is but a step towards a new dawn in their music, and this is but a building block upon a new cornerstone is what has yet to come. That's about the sum of what the album is. This will be expanded on I'm sure in the albums to follow. always and evermore.