New Opeth album announced

Oh, good. The original Blabbermouth report I saw was just talking about the album and didn't mention the cover songs.

^Indeed. Cantrell is a great songwriter as well. The only "big" songs Layne wrote was Angry Chair and part of Man in the Box.

Cantrell is a greatwriter and one of the best 90's guitarist.

Layne Wrote the music for Head Creeps which is probably my favorite AiC song regardless cantrell writing all the bands best material.

Last good thing they did was My Arms Your Hearse, which wasn't even close to the same league as the first 2.

My Arms, Your Hearse was my favorite for awile. Still Life,Blackwater Park, and Damnation are Opeth's best. Orchid and Morningrise are great and also all over the place and do not see how people can think they're the best opeth albums or the only good opeth albums.

Deliverance is one of the more underrated albums of Opeth's discography. I haven't listened to it in years, though. I'll have to correct that. :p

Alice In Chains is one of the greatest bands ever (fuck the haters). My current favorite song by them has got to be Frogs. It's got such a dark/epic tone to it.

Cantrell is a greatwriter and one of the best 90's guitarist.

Layne Wrote the music for Head Creeps which is probably my favorite AiC song regardless cantrell writing all the bands best material.

My Arms, Your Hearse was my favorite for awile. Still Life,Blackwater Park, and Damnation are Opeth's best. Orchid and Morningrise are great and also all over the place and do not see how people can think they're the best opeth albums or the only good opeth albums.

If you fell in love with Orchid and Morningrise, then the other albums sound quite bland. I just find the guitars a bit more rough and atmosphereic in those two riffs. Morningrise was an album I almost listened to exclusively for 3 months.

I love Damnation! I think it's pretty awesome that they decided to do an all soft album like that. Though I like Deliverance more.

I never felt the need to get Ghost Reveries. It felt a little too light for me, not as in heaviness but as in tone. But Watershed sounds like a must-buy for me. Especvially if there's a version released that includes the covers. Hearing Opeth play Trower is going to be ridiculous and I hope they made Would really heavy.

Cool that they're covering that but I dunno how it will be. It'll also lose all meaning when done by them (it's a song about Andrew Wood of Mother Love Bone who died...AIC guys were good friends with MLB and every member).

Glad you pointed that out WIIT, no one else would have known that. Just as well you're here, with all your great musical knowledge. You're not being patronising or anything, in any way. You rock. :Smug:

Despite my sarcastic tone I really DIDN'T know that. (Probably because AIC are fucking shite and I have no interest in their shit songs).

This new album will fucking suck. Mikael thinks they're prog now, but they always were. Since they OFFICIALLY became prog, they've been a bag of shite (Damnation? Shit. GR? Fucking garbage).
Deliverance was prog, but it was heavy as hell and rocked like fuck. It never needed some keyboardist as a band member either, to "flesh out" the sound. They had guitars for that then.

Yeah the fact that there's a pretty equal distribution, with each Opeth album capable of being regarded as their best, is probably as good an indicator as any what a damn good band they are. Orchid probably ties with Blackwater Park as my favourite, Morningrise would be as good as Orchid but I felt it had too much flab (particularly the last 8 minutes or so of Black Rose Immortal). On My Arms it felt like they were still refining the sound they fully realised on Still Life and Blackwater Park.

As for the new album, I just hope it's better written than Ghost Reveries. I thought they were too preoccupied with the new keyboards, they forgot to write good songs. It's the only Opeth album with lots of filler ('Atonement', 'Harlequin Forest' and that piece of shit 'The Grand Conjuration'). So I have high hopes for the new album, in one sense, because hopefully Mikael will write better stuff. But on the other hand, it's basically a whole new band he's working with.

All people have different tastes,and i know everyone cannot like the same music. But people who´ve never liked Opeth are fucking idiots period. Yeah thats right,Opeth is the only band which are universally plain excellent.