New Opeth album announced

Cool that they're covering that but I dunno how it will be. It'll also lose all meaning when done by them (it's a song about Andrew Wood of Mother Love Bone who died...AIC guys were good friends with MLB and every member).

Damnation was to please the fans, not a commercial move, and I think that GR was just underwritten, and was pressured by the label.

Bullshit. How you can say GR was "underwritten" with a straight face is beyond em

I think it's fucking awesome Opeth is covering Robin Trower since I picked that disc up about two weeks ago.

I love Trower's guitar tone

I actually can't wait to hear that AiC cover - a lot of people can appreciate that they wrote killer tunes. Their albums were well put together and the melodies were incredible at times.

Alice in Chains were the shit, but their music is so much grittier and personal than Opeth's material... I really don't want to hear something like that on an Opeth album.

Ghost Reveries and Damnation were good albums despite the huge commercial direction they took (but quite honestly, they always had commercial leanings).

Yes, clearly any time a metal band puts non-metal songs on an album they're just doing it for more money. Good job figuring that one out.

No, it's just in the their general sound. I didn't imply anywhere that it was necessarily for the money (but I'm sure that's more likely the case with their last two albums).

So... what exactly about the more recent sound do you think is 'not necessarily but more likely' commercial?

Layne Staley isn't a talented singer? Cantrell isn't a talented guitarist and songwriter? Have you ever heard anything off of Dirt?

And no, from what I've heard, it isn't a concept album.

Yeah, I own Dirt...and I really don't like it. Although I dig that song The Rooster. It's cool. I guess I just don't get Alice in Chains...

I'm giving up here. I simply will never like them. I don't think they have much talent. Let's agree to disagree and move on the the thread topic, which is that Opeth have a new album coming.
Now that we know that Opeth have a new album coming, let's abandon this thread...