New Opeth album announced

What will probably happen is that there will be a regular edition with the 7 tracks, and then a special edition, with a 2nd disc with the covers.

Knowing Roadrunner, the regular one will come out a few months before the special edition, which they will save for a 2nd tour in support of the album. They'll try to get as many suckers as possible to buy both editions.

So... what exactly about the more recent sound do you think is 'not necessarily but more likely' commercial?

Their new sound IS more commercial and they are immensely more popular as a result. If you can't hear commercial leanings in their new sound then you should get your ears checked.

For the record, I do enjoy their new material regardless of their circumstances.

It is definitely more mainstream sounding, but I think Opeth is one of the few modern metal bands equally liked by deep-rooted fans of metal and more mainstream rock fans alike.

Their new sound IS more commercial and they are immensely more popular as a result. If you can't hear commercial leanings in their new sound then you should get your ears checked.

For the record, I do enjoy their new material regardless of their circumstances.

This new stuff is apparently different...reviewers have said a lot of the older fans will appreciate it because a lot of unexpected things appear on it, while heaviness is still maintained on the album. I personally like the sound of it...a female vocalist on one of the songs is already pretty unexpected of them as they've never done that. It kind of sounds like it's gonna have a really "proggy" feel to it.

They're covering ROBIN TROWER!? That's fucking epic. I love Opeth. AIC too, that's insane. Opeth is perhaps the best band ever.

People still give a shit about this band??

Of course! They are one of the few truly unique sounding metal bands. No one writes music or sounds like them. I think they will go down as legendary once they finish up.

They're really not that original. I don't know what you're talking about.

I don't listen to them much anymore but they are still a genuinely good band.

Last good thing they did was My Arms Your Hearse, which wasn't even close to the same league as the first 2.

They're really not that original. I don't know what you're talking about.

I don't listen to them much anymore but they are still a genuinely good band.

I think Opeth are original as hell. I do not see Orchid or Morningrise as being original regardless being great albums, but everything after is and the band really starts developing their own style and sound. Opeth has insane acoustic guitar playing and in my opinion acoustic guitar is much harder to play than electric and to be that good and come up with what Mikael does is beyong impressive and stunning. I think a lot of guitarists in terms of extreme music would sound like crap if having to play an acoustic guitar especially for a longer period of time.

sure they may be cool, but he just fishes them out of scales etc.For good ACoustic, try Andy Mckee [ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=JsD6uEZsIsU[/ame] Or some Classical like Heitor Villa lobos [ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qc6J20gTdLg[/ame]

I think Opeth are original as hell. I do not see Orchid or Morningrise as being original regardless being great albums, but everything after is and the band really starts developing their own style and sound. Opeth has insane acoustic guitar playing and in my opinion acoustic guitar is much harder to play than electric and to be that good and come up with what Mikael does is beyong impressive and stunning. I think a lot of guitarists in terms of extreme music would sound like crap if having to play an acoustic guitar especially for a longer period of time.

They combine progressive, death metal, and commercial rock. I can see how that can be very appealing, especially to people just getting into extreme metal. They really didn't break any new ground, though, tbh.

Opeth broke new ground, no doubt about it. And I'm not even that big of a fan, they bore me a lot of the time honestly. But they're masters of their craft. Nobody integrated folk into death metal so well or so seamlessly as Opeth.

P.S. anyone know for sure that this MySpace is legit? Feels a little made up to me.