Watershed vs Ghost Reveries

Watershed or Ghost Reveries

• Watershed

Votes: 121 63.0%
  • Ghost Reveries

Votes: 71 37.0%

• Total voters
Watershed at the moment, but it's hard to tell because one is fresh, and the other is not. Only time will tell. However, I expect that I won't be able to compare them anyway.... They are quite different, and possess qualities that probably will be impossible to make trade offs between. :loco:

Opeth albums take time to open... this poll would be great a bit later... not now, when most of us haven't heard Watershed and most of us know each note played on GR.

Haven't received WS yet, so can't say.

Also, this thread should wait until like 2 month after the release. All opeth music needs time to sink in. It's food for the mind, but much more than a snack!!

I choose Watershed, and it's not due to "new album syndrome". :D Both are awesome albums though.

I think Watershed is the more consistent album. However, I do think the standout tracks on Ghost Reveries (Ghost of Perdition, Harlequin Forest) are superior to the standout tracks from Watershed. To me, though, a lot of Ghost Reveries is filler (Atonement, The Grand Conjuration, Isolation Years). There really isn't a weak track on Watershed.

In my opinions, Ghost Reveries seems to be better, but I'll listen way more to Watershed and maybe it'll become better, but right now, I don't think so. Not brutal enough, and too many unoriginal ways of transitions between riffs (silences, cut, etc.)

Definitely Watershed, but I have to admit I tend to like the mellow part of Opeth more.
Also, Ghost Reveries isn't exactly my favorite record ever, so that was easy to answer to.

In my opinions, Ghost Reveries seems to be better, but I'll listen way more to Watershed and maybe it'll become better, but right now, I don't think so. Not brutal enough, and too many unoriginal ways of transitions between riffs (silences, cut, etc.)

But Watershed isn't sunny and happy and frolicking through the tulips with a flower in your mouth either.

Ghost Reveries:

HappyCow.jpg

.. and in comparison to Ghost Reveries, Watershed:

martin_destruction_sodom640x422.jpg

On one hand, Watershed is their best album yet.
On the other, Ghost Reveries has Ghost of Perdition and Baying of the Hounds.

No.... THERE IS NO OTHER HAND!