Weightloss Thread

I want to debunk a myth of my own here.

A few things need addressing here:

Just because you put fat IN your body through eating food does not mean that that translates to putting fat ON your body (because for the most part that's actually not how it works at all).

This isn't exactly true. During digestion the body breaks down proteins, carbohydrates, and fats into their most basic structures. Those would be amino acids, glucose, and fatty acids respectively. It then uses the components it needs to fuel and rebuild itself as needed. The excess is then converted into fat for storage in adipose tissue (commonly called fat cells) to be used when and if it's needed.

The conversion of protien and carbohydrates into fat is a biochemical process involving enzymes and is a component of metabolism. The breaking down phase is catabolism, and the rebuilding is anabolism. Therefore, the converting of excess protein and carb calories into fat actually burns some calories.

Fatty acids, however, are already simple fats. It's far easier for the body to slip them directly into adipose cells.

Fat is necessary for healthy digestion (which is tied to the health of the rest of your body, IMO) and more importantly, necessary for brain function. People who eat no fat aren't right in the head (literally).

True to a point. There are some essential fatty acids the body can't synthesize, but it doesn't need very large quantities.

Your body needs a healthy balance of proteins, fats and carbohydrates.

Yes.

The 60-30-10 scheme (P-F-C) here is pretty much the accepted standard.

No. Carbohydrates should actually be the largest percentage of the three, with said percentage depending on activety.

Higher protien is required for those actively building muscle, but not in excess. Although most people can tolerate high protien diets they can actually be dangerous as they may precipitate renal failure in people with compromised kidney, even if the problem was previously not apparent or undiagnosed.

No more than 30% of calories should come from fats. As previosly discussed they should come from healthy polyunsaturated fats like olive and fish oils. As you mentioned peanuts they are good source for both protien and fats, as peanut oil is a polyunsaturated fat for the most part.

The bulk of caloric intake should come from carbs. That is to say good carbs, not junk. Whole grains, not donuts. There are three really good reasons for this.

1. First of all whole grains are complex carbohydrates. The catabolism of complex carbs into glucose requires the body to expend energy during the process. Therefore the body actually burns calories in order to aquire new calories. Donuts are white flower and common sugar (sucrose, fructose, or both). Both are relatively simple carbs and require very little catabolism.

2. Many grains like rice, corn, and oats, consit of resistant carbhydrates or resistant starch. These are carbs that actually resist catabolism into glucose, which has two benifits. First, the body can't use complex carbs for energy, so the calories remain unavailable. Second, resistant starch serves as a form of dietary fiber.

3. Maintaining a stable blood suger level is easier eating carbs. Eating high protien requires the body to break it down into amino acids then convert it into glucose. That lull may result in a drop of blood sugar which fools the body into thinking it's starving. This in turn triggers a slowing of metabolism, as the body tries to save energy.

The current USDA guidlelines for dietary intake still recommend the base of the diet be whole grains. The basic food pyramid has remained consistant, regardless of what Atkins, South Beach, and a lot of others (that are trying to sell their products) may tell you.

All of which doesn't mean you can sit down to a whole pot of brown rice. Portion control is an important factor.

There is nothing wrong with eating food that contains/is fat like mayo, you just want to balance that against the rest of your intake.

Mayo and salad dressings etc. contain saturated fats and should be limited.

Also, a good percentage of what you eat doesn't get digested completely. Calorie intake is sort of a "best guess" because the only way to truly figure out how much energy you're getting from food is to carefully measure your food and burn your waste for a calorie count on the other end. Gross.

Yeah, gross. It is somewhat true, as in the case of resistants starches. However, it's a little more accurate than a guess. Also, until a better system is devised calorie counting works well enough.

I'd suggest checking with the Doctor. I am in the same boat.

I don't drink soda, I cut out fast food, I eat 100 times better then I ever did, but I'm also at my heaviest weight (I'm finally back under 200 lbs though at one point I was 202).

I've had border line thyroid issues so you can have that checked and also make sure you aren't "starving" your body. If your body is used to getting say 3000 calories a day, and then you're now eating 1500, it can store fat as if you are starving yourself.

Good luck and keep us updated!

-Metal

This is what has worked for me the past 3 months. I've been using a bowflex for some years, mostly for conditioning, not a lot of real heavy weight training. That added with new eating & drinking habits.

• don't take 2nd helpings, also instead of having a whole piece of chicken at dinner, eat 1/2
  • stop drinking soda unless its Coke Zero
  • drink more water
  • limit snacking to a handful instead of a bagful
  • try not to eat anything after 7pm
  • i work out 4 days a week for approx. 30 minutes each day, on my off days I do push ups, lots of situps and walks around the neighborhood
the end result I went from 228lbs to 187lbs from mid-August to today. I'm toned up, lost 90% of the beer gut and breathing better (asthmatic). The walks also helped get me some sun :)

//edit//

I gave up nothing that I enjoyed. I still eat pizza, go to Hooters and drink Guinness (which ain't half as bad as you think). You just don't eat as much as you usually do. In my way, you stay happy, lose weight, look better and your other 1/2 loves it :)

I don't drink soda, I cut out fast food, I eat 100 times better then I ever did, but I'm also at my heaviest weight (I'm finally back under 200 lbs though at one point I was 202).

I've had border line thyroid issues so you can have that checked

Gotta agree with Metal and tdf here: Definitely check with your doctor. I have had a hard time over the past several years taking off weight--but it's never more than about 10-15 pounds that I would need to lose, so I figured it was just age and laziness catching up with me. Turns out that is a symptom... of a condition I never knew I had that causes me to be slightly hypothyroid. (I am also ravenous and fatigued all the time... I thought I was just old, fat, and tired, but it turns out I'm sick! yay... er... never mind... :p)

That said, thyroid issues are far more common in women from what I recall of what I've read, and as we get older it simply gets harder to keep/take weight off. I would suggest cutting out some of the weights and increasing the cardio.

Shaye

I've been neglecting myself and eating very poorly, so I need to get back on track and hopefully dropping a few lbss. too!

From what I've observed, Weight Watchers does appear to be the most reasonable plan out there. Basically, it's not really a denial of anything - just portion control.

I have a coworker that did the Nutrisystem thing, she lasted two days on it before developing some sort of allergy to whatever was in it and was stuck with all this food that she eventually got her husband to take into work.

There's no easy way, it's gotta be a little bit of sacrifice, smaller portions, spaced out times of eating and the food needs to be as close to natural as possible. If the body is taking in processed foods it has nothing to really break down.

Hopefully all of us will be a little leaner by next Progpower!

I haven't tried to neglect this thread, so I've managed to reply to a lot of you, excuse the length please, but a lot of good info in this thread. Any questions asked directly of me should be answered here, and anything I missed let me know. Your support is truely appreciated everyone, and I'm glad I have this kind of support, as it makes all the difference, it really does. SO! Without further ado:

Riff said:
I know if I keep doing it regularly, I'll be fine .. but the next day I'll think to myself, "nah, I'm not feeling so good, so I'll do it tomorrow morning." That kinda cycle is what'll hurt you, and that's what's kicking my ass right now.
This isn't a problem for me, honestly. I have a set schedual for the gym and a buddy who works out with me regularly. And if one of us cant make it, the other goes anyway, so it's OK there. I'd recommend that.

I'll look back to how I used to workout two years ago, and then when I can't do a fraction of that, it brings me down. You have to start small and build back up

I always am amazed about how fast I can fall from grace, but more amazed at how fast I can build the endurance back up. The body will remember.

Kenso said:
weight training is a fantastic way to burn fat, alot of people say its not though, but here are the facts. if you dont over eat with your weight training you will burn more fat doing that than cardio. whats good about muscle is by simply having more muscle you burn more fat, because muscle burns more energy idle than fat does WAY more energy at that.

I've been hearing that a lot, which is why I started incorperating weight training 2-3 times a week with the cardio.

i could go on for days about this stuff, seriously check stronglifts, i urge you!

I definitely will. Thanks for the tip!

Luna said:
It also could be that you are on a weight loss plateau, which happens to a lot of people. If that’s what it is, you just have to be patient, although sometimes it helps to change things up (different activity, different foods, etc.). Unfortunately, some people hit a plateau and assume “this isn’t working” and go back to their old habits. And, of course, the weight comes back on.

I can't be on an 11 month plateau. No way. Something else is 'wrong'. However, I agree with the mentality thing, and I find that one small victory is having kept the weight OFF and not giving up just because I'm not losing... and support like this thread help on weak days.

Riceloft said:
Starving yourself most of the day then eating a huge dinner is worse than having a decent breakfast / lunch and a good dinner.

My eating habits are pretty good, but could be better. I think my biggest problem currently is I eat WAY too much at dinner time, even though it's always healthy food. In this case, I have to cut back on the quanitity I eat at night. Otherwise, I eat about 6 times a day. A breakfast, small snacks, then dinner.

Kaosaur said:
Just because you put fat IN your body through eating food does not mean that that translates to putting fat ON your body (because for the most part that's actually not how it works at all). Fat is necessary for healthy digestion (which is tied to the health of the rest of your body, IMO) and more importantly, necessary for brain function. People who eat no fat aren't right in the head (literally).

The thing here is, too many people eat too much fat. Yes, one needs fat, but it's absorbed so quickly into the body, you don't have much time to burn it off before it gets stored. Carbs are slower to break down, so they're a better option for energy, and Protien is the slowest to break down, making it the hardest to digest and the best to eat for feeling full.

The 60-30-10 scheme (P-F-C) here is pretty much the accepted standard.

Citation requested. I think that is a rediculious amount of Carbs, almost unhealthy. Everything I've read or seen says a 40/40/20 C-P-F ratio is extremely healthy.

If your goal is to lose fat, workout to lose fat. You can put on the muscle after.

That's my main goal. I'm weight training to gain lean/tone muscle, not bulk. And repairing muscle will definitely burn more energy (and hopefully fat) than cardio, as it's a longer process to do so.

There's a reason why pretty much every fitness model EVER uses the zig-zag diet.

Diet? Not interested. Thanks. I'm not dieting. I'm eating healthy as a lifestyle choice. Also, those quotes you mentioned are kind of misleading.

Stingray said:
Unlike every other diet or weight-loss program out there, WW actually works.

My mom is on WW, and I know it works for her. I know all about the points system, but it's still the same as counting calories and finding out where those calories come from. You won't lose weight (she knows first hand) unless you keep a balanced diet, even on WW. Just eating your points doesn't work, you have to eat the correct foods. While I'm glad it works for most people, I'm more apt to stick with how I lost the first 30 pounds.

Luna said:
I change up my workouts every month. There's a lot of cool stuff at my gym, and I like to keep it fresh. Please post your current workout, so I can see what you're doing.

Well, Saturday and Sunday, we do the Biggest Loser Season 4 Workout DVD's, Cardio/Power Sculpt one day, then Powersculpt/Cardio the next. On Tuesdays, we generally work out arms and chest, and do 20-30 minutes of cardio, mostly running, and sometimes a cooldown on the bike. Wednesdays, we do an ab workout, including crunches, planks, lunges, squats, bicicle crunches, and 2 types of rows, followed by a 20 minute run. On Thursdays, we do an hour of Cardio - 30 running and 30 misc stuff.

If you can also post some examples of daily meal plans, just in general, do that too. A fresh set of eyes can really help you out with making small adjustments that can be Huge to your diet.

Here is an honest daily tracking of my food intake. Everything is written down. I don't always add in the exersize though.

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/diary/who/nailz/

shaq said:
I signed up for that livestrong.com site to see if it works well for me for keeping track of things. How do you like it?

I love it. It keeps me honest and it's awesome. For example, there's halloween candy everywhere, and just knowing people are going to be looking at it, I write it down, because I know that for this to work, I have to be honest with myself. Today isn't a great day, but you know, falling off the wagon just means you can get right back on it. Also, the forums there are great for advice from people who've been through it all. I've gotten some wicked advice from them.

thedelicateflower said:
have you ever had your thyroid checked? that may have something to do with weight

Honestly, I've had Bloodwork done, but I haven't made an appointment to go back and have it looked at. I don't think it's a problem, because like I said, I was able to knock off 30 pounds. It's just stagnent now. I will make that appointment though.

Magius said:
Kenso is correct. Building muscle mass leads to fat loss. Muscle burns calories all the time, even at rest, although -obviously- less so than when active. More muscle means more calories burnt; therefore, you can lose fat while building muscle.

But, in Kaosaur's defense, he is ALSO correct in saying that you can build muscle UNDER fat. This is how the Sumo's train, they pack on the muscle AND the fat. So there is merit there. However, I'm in agreement about muscle burning fat. It's pretty much written everywhere I've seen it. I wouldn't say the statements are FALSE all out, just misleading.

The diet can easily consist of less calories than the body burns, as long as it provides vitamins, minerals, and essential amino acids, which come from complete proteins.

But, it's a delicate balance. I've learned the hard way that you can actually UNDEREAT and not lose weight, because your body goes into a starvation mode, and it refuses to burn fat stores for energy. I've learned this by watching the Biggest Loser. I know it's kind of corny, but I've learned a LOT from the trainers. It's quite amazing.

If one burns 300 calories during an aerobic excercise session the increased calorie burning stops when the exercise ends. One 20oz Coke will replace 250 of those calories.

This is why I've switched almost exclusively to water. Also, keep in mind that after an aerobic exersize, the metabolism of one's body is still revved up, so you do in fact, continue to burn fuel at a higher rate, but it's a quick burst, vs. Weight training, which can give you a metabolism boost for HOURS instead of minutes.

Are you trained for this? You're incredibly knowledgable and extreemly helpful.

Kenso said:
for those of you who dont work out, just start. force yourself for 2 weeks. once two weeks goes by and you have not skipped a single scheduled workout, then it will become habit. you wont want to miss a workout from that point.

I can totally vouge for this.

i cant stress hard enough how HORRIBLE cokes and other sodas are for you.

Dropping soda dropped me 8 pounds. 8. Pounds.

MetalRose said:

A doc's assistant told me that I didn't look overweight and that since I was eating right, drinking water, and taking a multi-vitamin, I could consider liposuction. To say I couldn't get out of there fast enough is an understatement.

Creeps said:
drink Guinness (which ain't half as bad as you think)

125 calories for Guiness = Win.

Babs said:
Hopefully all of us will be a little leaner by next Progpower

I agree!

Citation requested. I think that is a rediculious amount of Carbs, almost unhealthy. Everything I've read or seen says a 40/40/20 C-P-F ratio is extremely healthy.

The 60 was for Protein. Also, while 40/40/20 (I would say 40-30-30) might be a bit healthier, it is somewhat advisable for somebody trying to lose fat to swing a bit more in favor of protein.

Anyway the citation you're talking about, 60-30-10 is the traditionally recommended ratio from the USDA and the traditional ratio published with the Caloric Ratio Pyramid. 40-30-30 is something that was popularized by the Zone diet.

This information comes from the USDA's National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference.

Magius said:
No. Carbohydrates should actually be the largest percentage of the three, with said percentage depending on activety.

Higher protien is required for those actively building muscle, but not in excess. Although most people can tolerate high protien diets they can actually be dangerous as they may precipitate renal failure in people with compromised kidney, even if the problem was previously not apparent or undiagnosed.

That's insane. You only want to do that kind of carbo-loading if you're an endurance athlete and about to compete. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

As far as high protein diets being dangerous, only if you have ketoacidosis (your body should never be in ketosis more than a few days at a time and should never be included in a diet plan longer than a few weeks or that can be a remotely possible result). Your body will not go into a ketosis state at a 60-30-10 ratio. Also, the signs of ketoacidosis are VERY noticeable (horrendous breath being one of the earliest).

Edit: The data also isn't 100% conclusive. From the Renal Unit of the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh: "In animals and probably humans, large amounts of protein may damage kidneys." High protein intake is more of an obvious problem for people with diabetes, CKD or alcoholics. A quote about high-protein low-carb diets:

There is an assumption that if a body is burning a lot of fat for energy, it must not be getting "enough" glucose. However, there is no indication, from studying people on reduced carbohydrate diets, that this is the case (though there is usually a short period of adjustment -- less than a week, in most cases). Although it's true that our bodies can't break fat down into glucose (though, interestingly, they easily use glucose to make fat), our bodies can convert some of the protein we eat into glucose. Indeed, this works well for people who don't tolerate a lot of sugar, because this conversion happens slowly so it doesn't spike blood glucose.

A dangerous condition called ketoacidosis can develop in those with type 1 diabetes, and it is sometimes confused with normal ketosis. The body usually avoids this state by producing insulin, but people with type 1 diabetes are unable to produce insulin. Even most people with type 2 diabetes who inject insulin usually produce enough insulin of their own to prevent ketoacidosis.

Edit: Just to add a bit more support to my case, see this sample meal plan for a diet targeting people battling obesity: http://www.boksystems.com/places-to-start-obesity.aspx

I worked with a nutritionist twice a week for two years. I have some books that might be of interest in this area.

That's insane. You only want to do that kind of carbo-loading if you're an endurance athlete and about to compete. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

You're the only one I've ever talked to in a serious conversation who said that 10% of my calories should come from carbs, and that's coming from everything I've ever read, heard, or researched, anywhere. Everything I've ever seen says that's just a shock to the system, and will cause it to load balance when you eventually carb overload.

Are you serious on this? Are you basing it on a diet? I'm not dieting. I don't believe diets work, I think it's an all or nothing thing, and there's no way you can susstain yourself on that kind of ratio.

edit: looking at that link, it seems like it's Breakfast, 60% Carbs, 30% Protien, 10% Fat. I think you might have errored somewhere in your statements.

edit 2: yes, it's definitely saying more carbs than protien, and then a 1:1 ratio at the end of the day.

But, in Kaosaur's defense, he is ALSO correct in saying that you can build muscle UNDER fat. This is how the Sumo's train, they pack on the muscle AND the fat. So there is merit there. However, I'm in agreement about muscle burning fat. It's pretty much written everywhere I've seen it. I wouldn't say the statements are FALSE all out, just misleading.

Kenso was refering to the quotes Kaosaur posted from Zigzag when he said "All those statements are false." He is correct. They are.

The 60 was for Protein. Also, while 40/40/20 (I would say 40-30-30) might be a bit healthier, it is somewhat advisable for somebody trying to lose fat to swing a bit more in favor of protein.

Anyway the citation you're talking about, 60-30-10 is the traditionally recommended ratio from the USDA and the traditional ratio published with the Caloric Ratio Pyramid. 40-30-30 is something that was popularized by the Zone diet.

This information comes from the USDA's National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference.

60% protein? The USDA recommends 60% protein? Bullshit.
The USDA food recommendations advocate the base of the diet to be whole grains, ergo carbs. The recommendations are depicted in the USDA Food Pyramid, which has undergone some design changes over the past few years. Nevertheless, the fundamentals of the Pyramid remains the same.
food-guide-pyramid.gif

You may note that even combined the recommended servings of both dairy and protein don't equal the recommended servings of grains. That doesn't even include the more simple carbs and sugar one would get from fruits and vegetables.

In addition the Caloric Ratio Pyramid, to which you referenced, also targets carbs over proteins in both traditional and balanced diets:
caloric-ratio.gif

caloric-ratio-how-to-use.gif

I'm not talking about carb loading. That's a process of starving your body of carbs, and then dumping in almost a pure carb diet. This process theoretically causes the body to horde those carbs as glycogen.

Complex carbs should be the basis of a healthy diet all the time. The sources you have provided only serve to reiterate the fact

I have already explained the reasons for a complex carb based diet. You can do with the information as you will... or not.

Edit: Just to add a bit more support to my case, see this sample meal plan for a diet targeting people battling obesity: http://www.boksystems.com/places-to-start-obesity.aspx

Have you read your own example? This plan calls for a 2:1 carb to protein ratio for 3 of 5 meals and a 1:1 for the last two. It actually looks pretty good to me, although it contradicts everything you've been saying.

As far as high protein diets being dangerous, only if you have ketoacidosis (your body should never be in ketosis more than a few days at a time and should never be included in a diet plan longer than a few weeks or that can be a remotely possible result). Your body will not go into a ketosis state at a 60-30-10 ratio. Also, the signs of ketoacidosis are VERY noticeable (horrendous breath being one of the earliest).

From the American Heart Association: High Protein Diets
"AHA Recommendation

The American Heart Association doesn't recommend high-protein diets for weight loss. Some of these diets restrict healthful foods that provide essential nutrients and don't provide the variety of foods needed to adequately meet nutritional needs. People who stay on these diets very long may not get enough vitamins and minerals and face other potential health risks..."

"Most Americans already eat more protein than their bodies need. And eating too much protein can increase health risks. High-protein animal foods are usually also high in saturated fat. Eating large amounts of high-fat foods for a sustained period raises the risk of coronary heart disease, diabetes, stroke and several types of cancer. People who can't use excess protein effectively may be at higher risk of kidney and liver disorders, and osteoporosis."

I have some books that might be of interest in this area.

You may want to toss those.

Really? Based on what?

Based solely on what's worked for me in the past to lose weight. I am not looking for an argument. It was merely a suggestion, my opinion. I am not a doctor, a trainer, a weightlifter, a dieter, a crackpot author, or anything else other than someone who's had trouble losing weight in the past.

Shaye

Sorry, I couldn't bring myself to read through all the replies in this thread.
Different methods work for different people, but here is what I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt:
Atkins works.
Atkins works wonders.
I started doing Atkins in July, at 140 lbs.
Four months later, it's November and I weigh in at 110 lbs.
Exercise is super important, although it can be done without it, and I took a bit more of an extreme approach to the diet in the sense that A.) I stayed in the Induction phase the entire time, and B.) I have stayed well below the 20g carbs per day limit; I usually consume about 5-10g carbs per day.
If you are serious about wanting to melt fat off your body, if you want to see an actual change, without having to count calories (which you don't while on Atkins), and all the while being able to eat yummy stuff like steak, butter, eggs, bacon, salads w/ranch etc, try Atkins.
Healthwise, best decision I ever made.
I used to eat a shitload of carbs, and my body was all sorts of out of whack.
I would eat a ton, get cold and sleepy afterward, then be hungry again.
It sucked.
Atkins changed my life, and I'm not one of those dorks who throws that sort of statement around frivolously.

*hops down off soapbox*

Sorry, I couldn't bring myself to read through all the replies in this thread.
Different methods work for different people, but here is what I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt:
Atkins works.
Atkins works wonders.
I started doing Atkins in July, at 140 lbs.
Four months later, it's November and I weigh in at 110 lbs.
Exercise is super important, although it can be done without it, and I took a bit more of an extreme approach to the diet in the sense that A.) I stayed in the Induction phase the entire time, and B.) I have stayed well below the 20g carbs per day limit; I usually consume about 5-10g carbs per day.
If you are serious about wanting to melt fat off your body, if you want to see an actual change, without having to count calories (which you don't while on Atkins), and all the while being able to eat yummy stuff like steak, butter, eggs, bacon, salads w/ranch etc, try Atkins.
Healthwise, best decision I ever made.
I used to eat a shitload of carbs, and my body was all sorts of out of whack.
I would eat a ton, get cold and sleepy afterward, then be hungry again.
It sucked.
Atkins changed my life, and I'm not one of those dorks who throws that sort of statement around frivolously.

*hops down off soapbox*

this sounds like a freak diet, usually these are a bad idea. that low amount of carbs sounds pretty unhealthy. i dont even know how you could eat that small amount of carbs, it seems kind of impossible to do that and still get the right foods in.

regardless feeding your body and getting the proper exercise is the HEALTHIEST way to go about doing it, losing weight without exercise is usually a bad idea.

this sounds like a freak diet, usually these are a bad idea. that low amount of carbs sounds pretty unhealthy. i dont even know how you could eat that small amount of carbs, it seems kind of impossible to do that and still get the right foods in.

I'm healthier than I have been in years, actually.

2 eggs: roughly 2g carbs
3 strips bacon: 0g carbs

1 cup salad: roughly 2g carbs
2 tbsp ranch: 1-3g carbs depending on the brand

8oz steak: 0g carbs
Steamed broccoli w/cheese: roughly 2g carbs

That's a three meal day under 10g carbs that is just as filling and tasty as anything else you could eat.
Freak diet?
Hardly.
I eat better than most of my friends, but because my carb intake is so much lower than my fat intake, my body has no choice but to burn the fat that's already there.
It's called ketosis, you can look it up.

I can still eat pretty much whatever I want.
I never cared all that much for breads and nuts, although I was a hopeless pasta and milk addict.
But I can go out and eat raw fish til I'm sick of it (I'm a sushiholic), I can eat the skin on my chicken, and if I ever get a craving for soda, I can pop open a Fresca.

What I don't eat are breads, pastries, nuts, fruits, pasta, rice, sugar, or milk...along with certain various veggies/fruits (no onions, no carrots, no corn, no bananas).

I'm glad you get such good results from Atkins... but if you're going to do it indefinitely, please make sure to monitor your cholesterol and triglycerides VERY closely.

I'm glad you get such good results from Atkins... but if you're going to do it indefinitely, please make sure to monitor your cholesterol and triglycerides VERY closely.

Yah.
I'm not going to do it indefinitely, just for another couple months.
I'm about 5 lbs away from my target weight, and I plan to slowly ease myself back into a more "normal" sensible diet plan.

:)

A suggestion Nailz. Supercharge your workouts for one week every other month. Try a cycle of 7 weeks of regular training and for the 8th week switch to a more intense routine.
Instead of running miles or a set time, get outside and do windsprints for 30 minutes. As fast as you can, and as many as you can with as little rest in between as you can tolerate.
Instead of regular weight training go for max lifts. Do sets of 3 to 4 of as much as you can lift instead of nominal sets of 12. Best to have a spotter if you're using free weights. You could also try Creatin. It's the only supplement shown to help build muscle mass, so ignore all the other products. GNC sells a form of creatin called Cellmass, which claims you don't have to do loading and unloading with. It's also a lot less grainy to drink than regular creatin powder.

Ok. I got this idea in my head because I am utterly fustrated beyond belief today after I stepped on the scale and I failed to lose any weight again today. I imagine some of you probably want to or are in the process of losing weight or getting healthier, so why not have a little support?

I've been overweight since Middle School, and I'm 28 now. I've been trying to lose weight for 5 years, but really, I've only been serious about it for 2. I've moved to Phoenix 4 years ago, and when I did that, I gained even more weight, ballooning from 190 to 215. Now, starting in 2006, I've managed to get down to 180 at my lightest by cutting out soda, and most sweets, and exersizing regularly. At Christmas of 2007, when I went home to see my family, I gained 5 pounds (my cousin used to be a professional cook, and food is second only to relations in my family). Since then I've been able to bounce between 182 and 187 (which is an accomplishment, I think!) but I'm starting to get fustrated. I haven't been able to lose more weight, and I certainly have at least 25 pounds to go (5'7, my goal weight is 160).

I go to the gym 5 times a week and work out for an hour a day, switching between cardio and some weight training, and I swim on occasion at work (at least once a week). I track everything I eat on http://www.livestrong.com (The daily plate) and make sure I'm not eating too much of one thing.

The fustruating part this week was really really trying and busting my balls at the gym and being 185. Again. I can't seem to lose anything anymore and I'm really close to being resigned. I need some support.

Help me out. Share your info, and let us help you.

Lemme throw my situation out there....

I have a major reason for keeping my weight down, my father is in extremely poor health (heart disease, high blood pressure, age related dementia leading to Altzheimer's, pancreatic cancer, and he had another stroke last week.) I have more genetic markers for this stuff than you can shake the proverbial stick at. My doctor's advice "You must remain active and keep your weight down".

So...

My $.02 on the subject, without getting into the abstract science....

1) talk to a doctor, and see how this will affect you in the short term IE: are you going to jump on a treadmill and die from a heart attack within the first five minutes.

2) Start slowly, pushing max weight and reps, and advanced cardio will kill you before it does any good, if your body isn't ready for it. Build up to a plateau and then push beyond it.

3) burn more calories than you take in, and when you put calories in, put good calories in not empty junk. However do not starve yourself, once your body is in starvation mode it's very hard to get out.

4) Human metabolism slows over time, you must adjust accordingly.

5) warm up and stretch lightly before any workout (cardio or weights) warm muscles burn carlories far more efficiently than cold, flexibility will allow you to do more with less injury, light stretching to warm up before, heavy stretching after the workout for flexibility NOTE: do not stretch beyond mild discomfort in the muscles, torn muscles suck and they're tight when they heal.

6) vary your workout, your body will get used to a certain workout routine, you have to shock it once in while if you hit a plateau.

Right now my workout routine is short: Two nights a week two hours of teaching Taekwondo and then an hour long cardio kickboxing class, and then 15 minutes of ab work. Probably a 2500 calorie burn. So my weight isn't coming down as fast as it used to. But it's by choice/necessity.

right now i'm 6' and vary between 177 and 185. At my lightest, during my MA competition days I was between 159 and 167.

Having said that, throw the concept of "loosing weight" out the window, it's about body image and how your clothes fit and how you feel. Inches around the wasteline is a much better indicator that a program is working or not.