Weightloss Thread

I really don't have too much to add to this thread.
My results were simply produced by good old fashioned diet and exercise....mainly strength training, mixed with a little cardio.
I did, however, have to cut out two of my favorites....cookies and peanut butter.
Mmmm....
But it was either that or beer....and well, you know....
Ha Ha!

Anyway...the purpose of this post was to show off these that I just discovered today....

Knee-High Nike's!
Now you can be totally Metal while still getting the proper cross-training!

I know what I want for Xmas!

_40023822_serena_boots298.jpg

nike-am-95-venti-3-colorways-main.jpg

Peanut butter is good for you! Excellent source of quality fats.

My target diet is basically lots of fat.. and then a bit more protein than healthy carbs.

I worked out hard the first half of this year. Lately I haven't been pushing myself nearly as hard. But I'm mainly been rowing, doing basic exercises (pushups/pullups/dips), and climbing stairs.

Peanut butter is good for you! Excellent source of quality fats.

Not when you put it on everything.
Ha Ha!

I did a lot of outside activities over the summer....was always outside doing something 7 days a week (biking, hiking, running, gardening, etc), which I know was a huge part of my success.
Unfortunately it's now winter, so other than going to the gym, there is not much to do, aside from sitting on the couch.
BOO!

Nailz-

My best suggestion, is to experiment with your diet, figure out what works for your body. When I was a gymnast, most of my diet was carbs limited protein and next to 0 fat. Now, it's almost opposite. I eat primarily protein, load up on carbs the day I do my strength and conditioning (as my trainer is a sadist and the stores need replenished), then back to mostly protein. Granted, I spend more time in the gym than you, but when I have to drop weight for a tournament, best way to drop the plateau is to shock the system. For me, that was a two-day juice fast, find out what works for you. Also, every now and then, go in for a cardio kickboxing class. Change up your workouts (I recall Schwartzenaegger saying something about this recently). Slowly cut down the bad fat intake, as the body will see it as starving, keep your stress levels down - as that will interrupt your body's ability to digest and absorb, and don't over-do it.

As others have said, get off the scale. If you have to step on it, do that only once a month as a check-up, but get one that can give you an idea as to your bmi and hydration levels. Weigh in after you wake up and take the morning whiz, but before you put anything into your mouth. Focus on building the lifestyle. And remember, the right weight in your mind, may not be the right weight for your body.

Thanks FC. Since then I've changed up the diet a little, and started in on the weight training and stepping back from cardio. I think it's working, but I have to really get my carb to protien ratio in balance. It's HARD.

Just don't do bodybuilding exercises. They won't help you to cut fat. If you want that kind of body, go for it, but other types of weight training are better. This essentially means don't do isolation exercises such as bicep curls. Instead, if they have an olympic bar and weights do deadlifts and put the weight over your head (military press/push press/etc.).

Or you can get almond butter, which is really good for ya. But also pricey. Cashew butter is cheaper. Haven't actually tried it though. I'm guessing its tasty!

Just don't do bodybuilding exercises. They won't help you to cut fat. This essentially means don't do isolation exercises such as bicep curls.

Which is actually the exact opposite advice from every professional trainer I've gotten advice from. Everything I've heard/read says that in order to build muscle, instead of strengthing muscle requires a calorie surplus. Which, I promise, I'm not getting. I'd have to be eating 3200 calories a day to put on muscle. I'm conditioning, and it does work out muscle fat, commonly called "toning".

Also, it seems to be working. I have a lot more definition already, and it's only been 2 weeks!

An alternative to regular peanut butter is having something called "PB2". It is powered peanut butter without the oil. You can mix it with water (in small batches) for just peanut butter, or in a recipie and it will taste just like regular peanut butter - but with 85% less fat calories because you're not using oil as the transfer medium.

The better half has been using it for about a year and it tastes pretty darn good. Kinda expensive but worth it IMHO. A company called Bell Plantation makes it and sells it online:

http://www.bellplantation.com/

Expensive yes, but it tastes GREAT. My parents turned me on to this a few weeks ago, and once my regular PB is gone (which is soon) I'll be switching full fledge to this stuff.

Or you can get almond butter, which is really good for ya. But also pricey. Cashew butter is cheaper. Haven't actually tried it though. I'm guessing its tasty!

Almond Butter is expensive here too. Is it any better than peanut butter?

An alternative to regular peanut butter is having something called "PB2". It is powered peanut butter without the oil. You can mix it with water (in small batches) for just peanut butter, or in a recipie and it will taste just like regular peanut butter - but with 85% less fat calories because you're not using oil as the transfer medium.

The better half has been using it for about a year and it tastes pretty darn good. Kinda expensive but worth it IMHO. A company called Bell Plantation makes it and sells it online:

http://www.bellplantation.com/

Oh...
my....
GOD!
And they make it in Chocolate too????
My friend.....you have just changed my life!
Thanks for the info.

:headbang:

I don't really have much in the way of specifics to add but I did decide to do something this year about my weight and have dropped 115 pounds...I did it by eating less and moving more. By eating less I mean I cut calories but not to the point of starvation, and I added various cardio 6 days a week. I'll soon be adding weight training into the mix but up to this point it's been all cardio..these days I'm pretty hardcore into running so I'm running about 20 miles a week and on my off days I'm on the elliptical for 30-45 minutes...I've also started a 100 pushup plan to work me up to be able to do 100 pushups.

Personally I feel it's all about the calories and that's it, you eat a little less than what your body requires at the weight you are at and you exercise and eventually it'll add up to 1-2 pounds a week. It's pretty much what every doctor has preached since the existence of weight problems.

normal_021304_09.jpg

l_03711230d7264e03869d12d768b6628a.jpg

and finishing my first 5k!

l_3a75c310381c4d0d965deaa230bf5183.jpg

Good job, man! I remember meeting you at CPF this year, and based on those pics, if I saw you now I probably wouldn't even recognize you!

Holy shit, Tony !!! Very nice work. I knew you were dropping some weight judging from the last couple times I saw you, but you have made incredible strides since I saw you last.

I'm trying to drop a bunch as well ... getting there. I was up over 220 in June .. got myself close to 190 right now, and would like to wind up around 170 .. hopefully by Powerfest time .. maybe before.

I go for a 2 mile walk at 11:00 am during week days .. takes about 30 minutes. I then just stay at work, and take a short lunch at my desk ... usually something like Healthy Choice panini's, or a Smart Ones Meal. Breakfast is typically oatmeal. Supper is usally some sandwich type deal, baked lays, and a diet coke. Subway, and Blimpie are favorites. I also make sure to cheat a couple times a week ... feel I can burn it off at the gym, and also feel like I'm not depriving myself of the stuff I really like.

After work I head to the health club ... I go 7 days a week now. I have been going to the health club for several years now, but had never dieted along with it. My weight actually went up along with that .. I think I tended to eat worse after working out thinking I could get away with it.

I have not been doing much in the way of weight lifting either ... although some of the exercises I do tend to work arms, chest, etc. I've done a lot of cardio ... like the arc trainer, cross trainer, and treadmill. I've been staying at the gym closer to an hour of late, and have really been trying to break a sweat early, and then keep it up ... it's working for me.

Good luck to anyone else trying to drop a few ... once you get on a routine it really becomes something you feel you need to do every day. Actually I'm at the point where I really look forward to it.

Britt