Weird Science

I love Quanta.

There's a joke among critics of sci-fi that whenever a writer introduces an inexplicable scenario, they have some character say "It must be quantum entanglement..."

A friend of mine at MIT shared this:

https://thewire.in/the-sciences/elo...8YwE4u5obdCIeuQEWOGuGauUjMN2DGtnPaKq3kdBYkLXc

So, what’s new?

Nothing really, it would seem — not the idea, the technique or the results. The idea of a BMI is old and has been attempted many times. The technique is also not novel and the results are a minimal improvement. Neuralink has simply managed to replicate what earlier groups have done – with minor increases in electrode numbers and some advanced chipsets for recording and analysis. It is at best an incremental step that replicates and builds on previous work by many other scientists.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dak
I love Quanta.

There's a joke among critics of sci-fi that whenever a writer introduces an inexplicable scenario, they have some character say "It must be quantum entanglement..."

A friend of mine at MIT shared this:

https://thewire.in/the-sciences/elo...8YwE4u5obdCIeuQEWOGuGauUjMN2DGtnPaKq3kdBYkLXc

I'm very skeptical of Musk products at this point; I think he's mostly a grifter, with SpaceX as a possible exception. Not that his imagination is a problem, but his application is. Maybe it's mostly a function of the economics of experimentation at this point, but still.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/07/motion-smoothing-is-ruining-cinema.html

In part, there’s a scientific explanation for this: It’s possible that watching movies one way for so long has conditioned our brains. NYU psychology and neuroscience professor Pascal Wallisch, who studies cognition and perception, cites the phenomenon of “entrainment,” which posits that certain external stimuli, such as beats per minute in music or subtly flickering movie images, can actually affect the nervous system. “The frequency of the stimulus entrains neuron activity, which allows you to go into a kind of trance state,” Wallisch says. This could explain why movies are often portrayed as magical, transfixing phenomena — on some level, they are.

I know this should be in the movie thread but the circumstances justify it going in here I think.

50 years after Neil Armstrong’s first steps on the moon, the epic story from lift-off to touchdown is told using never-before-seen footage from July 1969.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/07/190731102127.htm

The brains of people with excellent general knowledge are particularly efficiently wired.
Crystallized intelligence is defined as the depth and breadth of knowledge and skills that are valued by one's culture. The accumulation of crystallized intelligence is guided by information storage capacities and is likely to be reflected in an individual's level of general knowledge. In spite of the significant role general knowledge plays for everyday life, its neural foundation largely remains unknown. In a large sample of 324 healthy individuals, we used standard magnetic resonance imaging along with functional magnetic resonance imaging and diffusion tensor imaging to examine different estimates of brain volume and brain network connectivity and assessed their predictive power with regard to both general knowledge and fluid intelligence. Our results demonstrate that an individual's level of general knowledge is associated with structural brain network connectivity beyond any confounding effects exerted by age or sex. Moreover, we found fluid intelligence to be best predicted by cortex volume in male subjects and functional network connectivity in female subjects. Combined, these findings potentially indicate different neural architectures for information storage and information processing.

Connectivity. Size. Sex.

Sounds problematic.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/cosmologists-debate-how-fast-the-universe-is-expanding-20190808/

For six years, the SH0ES team claimed that it had found a discrepancy with predictions based on the early universe. Now, the combined SH0ES and H0LiCOW measurements have crossed a statistical threshold known as “five sigma,” which typically signifies a discovery of new physics. If the Hubble constant is not 67 but actually 73 or 74, then ΛCDM is missing something — some factor that speeds up cosmic expansion. This extra ingredient added to the familiar mix of matter and energy would yield a richer understanding of cosmology than the rather bland ΛCDM theory provides.

A pair-instability supernova happens when the core grows so hot that light begins to spontaneously convert into electron-positron pairs. The light’s radiation pressure had kept the star’s core intact; when the light transforms into matter, the resulting pressure drop causes the core to rapidly shrink and become even hotter, further accelerating pair production and causing a runaway effect. Eventually the core gets so hot that oxygen ignites. This fully reverses the core’s implosion, so that it explodes instead. For cores with a mass between about 65 and 130 times that of our sun (according to current estimates), the star is completely obliterated. Cores between about 50 and 65 solar masses pulsate, shedding mass in a series of explosions until they drop below the range where pair instability occurs. Thus there should be no black holes with masses in the 50-to-130-solar-mass range.

BHMass_560.jpg

https://www.quantamagazine.org/poss...ack-hole-so-big-it-should-not-exist-20190828/

Doesn't quite go here, but anyway: @Einherjar86

https://www.inverse.com/article/142...rld-julian-jaynes-origin-of-consciousness-hbo

The theory of the bicameral mind is name-checked in the third episode of Westworld, and a character immediately suggests that it’s been debunked. Has it?

It’s really never been debunked, just ignored. That’s how I would put it. It’s definitely not mainstream, and it’s definitely not considered something that is widely accepted in academia.

Almost an exact echo.

Reactions: Einherjar86
I'd like that twice if I could.

I'm fascinated by the research that problematizes the linearity of decision-making, but I always felt a bit ambivalent toward the idea that such findings topple such a metaphysical concept as free will. If anything, I'd say these new findings weaken the binary choice between "absolute free will" and "absolute determinism." The idea that neurons pile up in a manner that acts as a "symmetry-breaking signal" certainly isn't deterministic (neurons might pile up in any way, shape, or form), but it also isn't free will, at least in the pure sense. It shows us how the decisions we (i.e. our conscious selves) make are guided by physiological and neurological circumstances. Those circumstances don't open the floodgates for free will to take over, but merely the enacting of some kind of will; however, they also are far from deterministic in the metaphysical sense.

I'd like that twice if I could.

I'm fascinated by the research that problematizes the linearity of decision-making, but I always felt a bit ambivalent toward the idea that such findings topple such a metaphysical concept as free will. If anything, I'd say these new findings weaken the binary choice between "absolute free will" and "absolute determinism." The idea that neurons pile up in a manner that acts as a "symmetry-breaking signal" certainly isn't deterministic (neurons might pile up in any way, shape, or form), but it also isn't free will, at least in the pure sense. It shows us how the decisions we (i.e. our conscious selves) make are guided by physiological and neurological circumstances. Those circumstances don't open the floodgates for free will to take over, but merely the enacting of some kind of will; however, they also are far from deterministic in the metaphysical sense.

I think where the psychologist and individualist in me takes over is noting that we can make manifest behaviors and environments that contribute to shifting those "piling ups" in self-determined ways, to the degree that we aren't externally constrained (eg, laws, law enforcement, military force, etc).Obviously there are many inputs into how we may or may not self-determine things are much less "free" than we would like to think, but they can still be manipulated to some degree, leaving us in a fluid limbo between hard determinism and "free will." Of course, with lower cognitive functioning ability, things get less fluid.

Well, people have been asking Peter Watts what he thinks...

https://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=9000

What Schurger et al have done is replace a deterministic precursor with a stochastic one: whereas Libet Classic told us that the finger moved because it was following the directions of a flowchart, Libet Revisited says that it comes down to a dice roll. Decisions based on dice rolls aren’t any “freer” than those based on decision trees; they’re simply less predictable. And in both cases, the activity occurs prior to conscious involvement.

So Gholipour’s hopeful and strident claim holds no water. A classic argument against free will has not been debunked; rather, one example in support of that argument has been misinterpreted.

There’s a more fundamental problem here, though: the whole damn issue has been framed backwards. Free will is always being regarded as the Null Hypothesis; the onus is traditionally on researchers to disprove its existence. That’s not consistent with what we know about how brains work. As far as we know, everything in there is a function of neuroactivity: logic, emotion, perception, all result from the firing of neurons, and that only happens when input strength exceeds action potential. Will and perception do not cause the firing of neurons; they result from it. By definition, everything we are conscious of has to be preceded by neuronal activity that we are not conscious of. That’s just cause/effect. That’s physics.

Advocates of free will are claiming— based mainly on a subjective feeling of agency that carries no evidentiary weight whatsoever— that effect precedes cause (or that the very least, that they occur simultaneously). Given the violence this does to everything we understand about reality, it seems to me that “No Free Will” should be the Null Hypothesis. The onus should be on the Free Willians to prove otherwise.

I don't quite find this sufficient. The interaction is a bit more dynamic than that. There are immediate and secondary reactions to stimuli, which are informed to different degrees and at different speeds depending on the individual, which are informed by prior learning, by temperament, etc. These secondary reactions cannot simply be waved off deterministically as not at least partially the result of a created will. There's a lot of variance here, and if there is something like free will it likely is emergent in higher order cognitive function in the frontal lobe - which is a possibility that is going to be uncomfortable for a lot of people.

the location of the part of the brain responsible for free will is something that will be uncomfortable for who??

I don't quite find this sufficient. The interaction is a bit more dynamic than that. There are immediate and secondary reactions to stimuli, which are informed to different degrees and at different speeds depending on the individual, which are informed by prior learning, by temperament, etc. These secondary reactions cannot simply be waved off deterministically as not at least partially the result of a created will. There's a lot of variance here, and if there is something like free will it likely is emergent in higher order cognitive function in the frontal lobe - which is a possibility that is going to be uncomfortable for a lot of people.

My big takeaway, which I do find sufficient, is that this research doesn't reestablish free will as an immutable and material thing; nor does it restore any total will to consciousness itself. There are still processes taking place in the brain that preempt decisions. That doesn't mean that individual conscious will is an illusion--merely that it's not the impetus for these processes. The sense of will might be an emergent property, but it can't redefine the conditions from which it emerges (as far as we know, anyway).

I also really like Watts's point that modern science has had to fight a counterintuitive uphill battle against a specific ruse of reason: namely, that free will exists and it's up to science to disprove it. The more appropriate stance, scientifically speaking, would be that there's no cognitive or neurological evidence of free will; and until we find one, it can't be said to definitively exist.

That's exciting.

My big takeaway, which I do find sufficient, is that this research doesn't reestablish free will as an immutable and material thing; nor does it restore any total will to consciousness itself. There are still processes taking place in the brain that preempt decisions. That doesn't mean that individual conscious will is an illusion--merely that it's not the impetus for these processes. The sense of will might be an emergent property, but it can't redefine the conditions from which it emerges (as far as we know, anyway).

I also really like Watts's point that modern science has had to fight a counterintuitive uphill battle against a specific ruse of reason: namely, that free will exists and it's up to science to disprove it. The more appropriate stance, scientifically speaking, would be that there's no cognitive or neurological evidence of free will; and until we find one, it can't be said to definitively exist.

Well part of the problem is the conception of free will as sort of ex nihilo, or separate from biology. There's clearly no evidence for that. It seems that the real question is does the phenomena of "introspective consciousness", or something along those lines, fundamentally changes the process of decision making when engaged, or is it simply icing on a cake it has no hand in making.

does the phenomena of "introspective consciousness", or something along those lines, fundamentally changes the process of decision making when engaged, or is it simply icing on a cake it has no hand in making.

Yeah, that’s the crux right there.

One metaphysical consequence of ex nihilo free will would be the disproving of biological determinism. This has been one of my personal intellectual conflicts, as I think both of these positions are troublesome and worth questioning.

At this point in my career, I feel comfortable acknowledging that human beings develop from a determined set of bioevolutionary conditions; but those conditions do not determine how that human being will develop. They only determine the phase space within which a human agent can make any number of decisions. The neurological experiments complicate our understanding of how those decisions are made, but I’m excited to see what more they reveal.