Well......What band....

Till Fjalls

¥¤ÆZµ
May 21, 2001
* Toronto *
fade.to
...has created the most enjoyment for you??? I know Opeth will probably be a common answer. But for me, that's not the case. I mean, Vintersorg has created the most enjoyable music (on Cosmic Genesis) for me. But overall, Ulver has done the best job of satisfying me completely. I mean, listen to bergtatt, pure Amazing majestic black metal with emotional sections. It touches the depest parts of both your sympathectic soul and anger. Kveldssanger, it is the most moving piece of acoustic artistry that I have ever heard. No comparison........Nattens Madrigal is by far the most angry and aggressive piece of work I have ever heard. I cannot listen to purely brutal music endlessly........with exception to this album. There is nothing like it that I have heard.

Then there is the Themes albums. I have never been moved so deeply by an album as I have by this one. It encompasses a little bit of everything from every style of music. I've heard all the "techno" comparisons, and they just don't fit. This is truly original, and if you mind to listen, it is purely emotion, straight from the heart.

And The Newest Album, Perdition City, continues on in the tradition of their EP, Metamorphis. It takes more electronic elements, but expands it to a point where it becomes more than electroniuc, but beauty in a musical form.......Ulver have truly taken music to limits never seen before, and that is why they mean so much to me. Well, this may be just drunkenness speakng, but it is the truth. Let's hear what everybody else thinks......

What's perdition city like? I've heard one song off it (metamorphesis?) and it was hard to develop an opinion from one listen. It didn't seem to have much "action" in it if you know what I mean. Are the other songs more involved (more electronics) or is it all ambientish?

Of course there is Opeth. They brought me every feeling possible.

Dissection, with their album Storm Of The Light's Bane, one the greatest black metal cd ever.

Pink Floyd, especially Wish You Were Here and Division Bell (even though i realized later that this album is what Roger Waters did back in the 70s). The Wall and Animals are pure enjoyement too.

Metallica , Master Of Puppets, songs like Orion or Welcome Home.

Nine Inch Nails, The Fragile when i got it, it took sometimes before loving it. Alot of emotion on that one too.

Anyways there are alot more then what i just mentionned.

Most enjoyment?
I would say Opeth, but let me choose another.

Metallica.
I remember 7-8 years ago when the black album wasn't really new anymore and I had had enough time to backtrack all the other albums they had produced before as well. Me and another friend we were totally into Metallica and could just walk around singing through their lyrics from Kill 'em all to the last song of the Black album. That was loads and loads of fun.
Plus hogging the stereo at school and blasting Metallica during all breaks between classes...
Man, those were the days, and Orchid wasn't even out there yet.

Wow, that´s hard to tell,... so many:

My Dying Bride
"Turn Loose the Swans"
"The Angel and the dark River"

Shape of Despair "Shades of..."

Katatonia "L.F.D.G.D"
Katatonia "Brave Murder Day"

Evoken "Quietus"

Samael "Ceremony of Opposites"

Tiamat "Wildhoney"

Hollenthon "Domvs Mvndi" and "With Vilest..." great dark/classic/death/soundtrack metal band.

Finntroll "Jaktens Tid" very original black/folk metal with great melodies and some polka stuff.

and many more

I have never in my life expected to be so moved by music. I am SO grateful that Opeth was formed. I was and still am at times speechless. I get lost in the music most the time. Once that happens, it's either wait for the song to end or hose me down with the spicket! :p So, a big thanks to Mikael, Peter and Anders for working together back then.

So, how many times has it been said that Mikael looks like Dave Murray? A million times? That pic of Mike at Darkwood Images , the "others" section...at the bottom. Totally! I like the pic of Pete next to him. Camping? :)

Lynn

I just checked out that page. Look at the pre-Orchid band shot and tell me that Mike doesn't look like Jerry Seinfeld! Take the hair off and he may as well start complaining about airline cutlery!

I got a pretty embarrassing Dave Murray related story. I was in an Indian resturant at my home town of High Wycombe a few years ago. It was about 11.30 and the pubs had shut, and I was quite a drinker in those days. Needless to say I was totally shitfaced.

Imagine my suprise when there, in the flesh, eating a curry with his Mrs, was the legendary Iron Maiden guitarist (he apparently lives in the area).

I then went into embarrassment overdrive, singing Run To The Hills, chanting his name "Da-ave!, Da-ave!", etc. Basically making a complete tit of myself. The worst bit was, as he was leaving, I asked him to sign a napkin, telling him "Dave, I worshipped Iron Maiden when I was a kid", to which "Dave" responded, "I'm Adrian Smith"!

And it was... :eek: I still to this day don't know how I managed to confuse the two guys, but I've mistaken them since day one it seems. I guess I just thought Adrian Smith always looked like a "Dave" and vice-versa. I really was an Iron Maiden freak in my pre and early teens, so I can only assume it was some kind of "name dyslexia". The evidence was staring at me from every album I owned, yet by brain was telling me different.

Anyway, he signed the napkin for me (which I promptly lost on the way home) and he didn't punch me, which means he must be quite a cool guy.

Booze has got me in a few scrapes over the years, but the above still makes my cheeks tinge with red..

Lee

OPETH...a few would have to be Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Tom Waits, Ani Difranco, Laika, Frank Zappa, Kristin Hersh, Dead Can Dance, Transglobal Underground, Ravi Shankar, Screaming Jay Hawkins, Mike Patton, Janes Addiction, John Zorn, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Leo Kottke, PJ Harvey, okay enough already...and I am already thinking of more Borknagar, Arcturus, awww Henry Rollins...:loco:

enjoyment? entertaining? bah

i've been emotionally moved by several bands over the years....
Nirvana (their In Utero album can really speak to a disgruntled 6th grader :)
Candlemass ('Solitude' is exactly what doom metal is all about...)
My Dying Bride (oooooh... just magnificent...)
and of course, Opeth.

as for fun bands... Iron Maiden and Metallica were always a lot of fun.... Run To The Hills is a lot of fun chanting while walkin the streets of Tel-Mond at 4AM...

Ignoring the obvious, two bands that engulf me are:

The Tea Party
Grip Inc.

In both of these cases, their music takes me away from the 3-dimensional world in which I live.

I think for the best enjoyment, you have to listen more than one band. LIke you said Ulver did a great job with music to communicate what he wants, for my point of view a prefer Arcturus. the transition is more smooth. But Opeth complete all the music style that i need to heard.

presently i'm on Opeth, Arcturus,ved buens ende

LWY