Come up with a reason that would not make Opeth the greatest band in the world

BRI said:
Who would've thought the Opeth forum is full of people that enjoy flaming them.
strange indeed, imagine there are poeple in this forum who think Mikael IS NOT Jesus himself, ffs!
what a bunch o ignorants...

"Come up with a reason that would not make Opeth the greatest band in the world"

Considering the fact that they are the PERFECT band to me... I can't. All other bands, no matter how good they are, have had some quality that I don't like. So far, Opeth is the only band that I have loved everything about. :D

Ghost reveries, why?... Because they signed in to RR to get their record more available? Or because there´s very cool synth parts in it? It´s not like opeth became easier to listen to or that they changed what opeth is built on when they signed to RR. It is as mainstream to be mainstream as it is anti-mainstream nowadays. Cause GR is undoubtfully one of their best...it´s up there with MAYH, SL and BWP...

BRI said:
Who would've thought the Opeth forum is full of people that enjoy flaming them.

Would this thread be the slightest interesting if everyone said:
"OPETH ARE THE GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD AND THERE IS NO REASON THAT THEY AREN'T"?

I can't really think of any argument as to why Opeth couldn't be the best band ever. But can I claim with absolute certainty that they are the best? Probably not. Are they the best that I've heard myself? ABSOLUTELY.

MY reason is Black Sabbath. Sabbath are my favorite band and to me no other band will receive the honor of being the greatest band other than them.

HaloPhenomenon said:
So the reason you do that is because it otherwise would be boring? :p... cause i see no other reason

A forum is mostly based on different peoples opinions.
If everybody had the same opinion it would be lame.
You need a reason for having a different opinion from others?

Opeth is not the greatest band because
Agalloch plays better folkish music.
Pain of Salvation does better research into their concepts.
Sonata Arctica is more melodic.
Emperor is more kvlt.
Gentle Giant does better a cappella. etc

This thread is pointless. I would never say a band is the "greatest in the world". However, I can say that I believe Opeth combines progressive, melancholomelodic, and death elements better than any band I have heard.

MetalManCPA said:
Since I consider Opeth by far the greatest band MY ears have ever heard, it's difficult to come up with an arguement as to why they wouldn't be considered the greatest.

The obvious question is what needs to be considered to make a band the greatest in the world? I'll answer coming from one particular angle, and it's not about their talent, for I consider them 100% talented. The only thing I can come up with that could be thought of as not thinking of Opeth as the greatest band in the world is they are not known worldwide nor will they ever be. The Beatles, Elvis, Beethoven, for example....all known worldwide and written in the music history books. Regardless of how I feel about Opeth, they will never make "history". The select few of us who really know Opeth will remember them as great (or the greatest), but in the grander sense of the music industry and history, they will be nothing more than a blip on the radar screen. And it's a shame that the genre of metal just doesn't get the recognition that it should in the musical sense.

That's why we call Opeth Underground Band.