Come up with a reason that would not make Opeth the greatest band in the world

No you won't. Domino's is shit. Unless you don't follow their way of making it (that is weigh everything) and don't pay for it.. then it's good... mm .. I might go get a free pizza..

Perhaps because generally, music is not terribly objective, and so "greatest" is not really a title that can be given to any band. (Although if one had to choose a band to give that title to, Ior were speaking in relation to a ranking system in their mind, I'd say Opeth would be a worthy choice...!)

It seems like
vb_eusa_think.gif
... this thread doesn't go anywhere:OMG:

They have truly made life more intresting.[/QUOTE]

HaloPhenomenon said:
Opeth are truly awesome live

i agree that they are (imo) the best band in excistence, and by my own tastes the best band ive ever heard.
we all know about there influences, the soft parts/heavy parts, musically as weell as vocally and as steven wilson said on the DVD, mikes voice is up there in melodic range as buckley and tom yorke.
these guys may not be to your particular liking but its easy to get his point.imo mikes voice is a huge part of there sucess in the metal underground and now the more mainstream metal (by this i mean there reaching more people than ever before).
the drapery falls live is just mindblowing, such emotive effect and brutallity to name but on e example.
they really have a back catalouge to shame most bands and are due all critical/fan acclaim as much as possible, they sure as hell deserve it:headbang:

yeah they are at that stage where they just rule beyond belief and the only way they could pwn harder is if they came to perth!!!!!!!

opeth arent the best band in the world because the mighty NEVERMORE have that throne. better guitar playing is the main reason, as jeff loomis slices and dices mikael with his technical prowess. prove me wrong; I like to argue.

Who would've thought the Opeth forum is full of people that enjoy flaming them.

Haha yeh i thought the same - i swear there's some member who's done nothing but slag Opeth off entirely! Seems stupid to me.. i mean..i don't go to The Bezerker forum and slag them off

Don Corleone said:
that seems a bit questionable to me. dont get me wrong, mikael is my fave vocalist, but when we speak of range...jeff buckley wins i guess

I honestly don't know what the hell he means by that in the first place... what the hell is "melodic range"?

If it means what i think it means (large range of dynamic capabilities, actual note range,, etc.) then i couldn't disagree more. I like Mike's voice... but he is very mono, sings in the same range all the time, and just overall isn't impressive with his voice. Pleasing, yes, but i definitely wouldn't go "holy shit that's the best singing i've ever heard".