Come up with a reason that would not make Opeth the greatest band in the world

HaloPhenomenon said:
Okay...this would probably lead to my next question... What elements make a band the greatest in the world?

I don't think "greatest band in the world" exists. Like i've been saying, my musical tastes consists of many unrelated bands doing many unrelated things. No band could ever possibly cover it all, and do it all well, so There can be no greatest band in the world. At least not for me.

I already said, they aren't the best at atmosphere, they aren't the best at lyrics, they aren't the best at the technical aspect, they aren't the most experimental, they aren't the funniest, they aren't the happiest, they aren't the saddest, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Not being the best at everything certainly qualifies for me as points against being the best band in the world.

tell me what bands would beat them in those categories? and being the funniest,happiest or saddest doesnt tell me anything (ha ha), i think spice girls are very happy, marilyn manson very funny and korn very sad :(... there are also lyrical categories...tell me what band beats them with consept lyrics?..but anyway mikael doesnt consider him self as a great lyricist.. How do you define being technical? Like alexi laiho, dream theater and yngwie malmsteen? then yes...i would agree.. I think that there are very few bands that would have experimented with musicstyles/music as much as opeth...

Opeth is one of the best well rounded bands out there, and they draw from a wide array of influences in interesting ways. Expect the unexpected from new Opeth albums...

HaloPhenomenon said:
1) tell me what bands would beat them in those categories? and being the funniest,happiest or saddest doesnt tell me anything (ha ha), i think spice girls are very happy, marilyn manson very funny and korn very sad :(... there are also lyrical categories...2)tell me what band beats them with consept lyrics? ..but anyway mikael doesnt consider him self as a great lyricist.. 3)How do you define being technical? Like alexi laiho, dream theater and yngwie malmsteen? then yes...i would agree.. 4)I think that there are very few bands that would have experimented with musicstyles/music as much as opeth...

let me number these and reply.

1)
more atmospheric: Raison D'Etre
Funnier: Mr. Bungle
more technical: Behold... The Arctopus
more experimental: Birchville Cat Motel
happier: Jellyfish
more depressing: Max Richter

2)
Pain Of Salvation, obiously, to name one.

3)
i would define "being technical" as posessing a mastery of the instrument in a physical sense. so, so many death and prog bands outshine Opeth in this way.

4)
I'm sorry, but that is LAUGHABLE. completely and utterly rediculous. I'm sorry you don't really explore experimental music much, and i understand that isn't everyone's thing, but i suggest revising that opinion so that you don't get flamed in the future. I'm being tame here.

All in all, there are many many bands who do any single aspect that Opeth does better than them. They are not EXTREMELY good at any one thing so much. Like Silent Song said, it's the package which makes them great. But that simply isn't enough for me to use words like "best ever"... i mean, in the back of my mind, even thinking about those words makes me think of the bands who do any individual aspect Opeth does that does them better.

What do you know of what i have explored?
Nothing you just said convinsed me...
But you´re right... it is impossible to argue about what they are best at... Allthough entertaining ;P... But i am just saying what i experience from my point of view, i am not saying you would be wrong... Just trying to come up with questions for you to convinse me, nothing personal.

HaloPhenomenon said:
What do you know of what i have explored?
Nothing you just said convinsed me...
But you´re right... it is impossible to argue about what they are best at... Allthough entertaining ;P... But i am just saying what i experience from my point of view, i am not saying you would be wrong... Just trying to come up with questions for you to convinse me, nothing personal.

well i know for sure you have no idea what industrial is, and i know you don't know who Naked City is. No one in their right mind would say Opeth is one of the most experimental bands out there if they actually spent any time exploring experimental music.

and me plunking names down doesn't do any good, of course it won't convince you. Start checking some of it out... that's what will end up convincing you down the road. There was a time i thought Opeth was the greatest band in the world, but as i started branching out more and more, i started to notice their weaknesses... or rather, not weaknesses, but bands who are doing some of the things they do in a better way.

all those bands combined probably would beat opeth... and i might have been unclear but i do think there are bands that do certain things better than opeth... opeth still beats all of those bands eventhough they would be better at something... and experimental does not equal good, look at änglagård... If no band beats opeth...they are the best band?...

This is a stupid and pointless thread......my 2 cents. At least I can get a good laugh from it!! Hey Mumble, my advice just stop wasting your time arguing with this guy. You have made a very good argument but there is no logic in this thread what so ever. It is just pointless to argue with Halo.

HaloPhenomenon said:
all those bands combined probably would beat opeth... and i might have been unclear but i do think there are bands that do certain things better than opeth... opeth still beats all of those bands eventhough they would be better at something... and experimental does not equal good, look at änglagård... If no band beats opeth...they are the best band?...

good god. Did you just imply Anglagard isn't good? :s

anyway you are right experimental doesn't equal good. I guess i falsely implied something like that.

By my definition, i can't consider a band the "best band in the world" if other bands do things better than them. Hence, I can't consider any band the best band in the world... and now that i've said that 5 or 6 times and we've gone in a lot of circles, i don't think i'll comment much more in this thread. :p

Mumblefood said:
I still don't think being diverse is the key. I think trying to be the "best band ever" is a lost cause. My favorite bands are "niche" bands, that fill their own space, do their own thing, and aren't really too worried about being diverse. Which suits me fine. I don't need a single band to do everything... spreading your efforts like that is dangerous, too easy to lose the vision and instead of doing one thing good, end up doing 20 things badly.

I completely agree with this. I think diversity should be in your musical taste and your music collection, and not on a per-band basis. You can't find a single band that is going to cover all territory and do it well. I'm not even sure it would be physically possible to do so because there are many aspects of music that are mutually exclusive (for instance, you can't have a band who are both extremely chilled out and relaxing and crushingly heavy or 'grim' at the same time, those aspects cancel eachother out, it's one or the other).

I have a large amount of metal CDs but I also have a lot of ambient/electronic stuff, I have singer/songwriter pop music, I have industrial, I have just normal fun uncomplicated rock music (AC/DC \m/), and I even have a bunch of hiphop. And I just listen to whatever I happen to be in the mood for. There is no way there could ever be one single band that is going to combine the aspects from all those styles of music into one band. It just cannot happen and will not happen. So I agree with Mumblefood that there isn't really such a thing as "the best band ever".

At best you could decide on which band is best within a certain genre but even then I think it's pretty futile. I'm a big Opeth fan but I'm still not sure I would consider them the "best" metal band. Because sometimes I'm just much more in the mood for something like some of Devin Townsend's work, or Neurosis/Isis, or Samael, or... you get the point. I think Opeth are definitely one of the better metal bands and they are one of my favourite bands but that's as far as I'm prepared to go. And as for actual reasons why I wouldn't consider them the best: the whole D1/D2 fiasco for instance. I think that's a pretty major weak spot in their discography.

Silent Song said:
Opeth is one of the best well rounded bands out there, and they draw from a wide array of influences in interesting ways. Expect the unexpected from new Opeth albums...
So their next one might be hip-hop! :OMG:

Benighted Joe said:
Chill, man! It was a joke - please note the smiles after my msg.
Anyway what I ment: you listed up some stupid arguments why
Opeth wasnt good... I knew (hoped) it was a joke so I joked back.

I know. I'm not really mentally ill :Spin: :Spin: :Spin:

"good god. Did you just imply Anglagard isn't good? :s"
Sorry that came out wrong :p... what i meant was that you dont have to be experimental to bee good...... The purpose of this thread was nothing this serious :D... and it has reached a status of pointless and stupid... this thread was to honor opeth... just wanted to get my word out since im new here. :)..

Your arguing is quite amusing. Obviously HaloPhenomenon's point is that Opeth are the best OVERALL band, whereas Mumblefood is trying to say that they're not the best in EVERY aspect of music, therefore they can't be called the greatest band. I think it should be decided whether we're looking for a band that is the best (in one's opinion of course) in one certain thing, or the best overall. The latter option would make more sense to me at least. But either way it all comes down to opinions. I guess what I'm try say that you should make it clear to each other what exactly you are arguing about. This post might sound a bit weird, it's early in the morning here. :/

Ps. HaloPhenomenon, please stop embarassing yourself by speaking of "experimental" music anymore. Thanks.

^ To Halo. Well you may be the next most interesting new thread starter on the board. Good luck!!