What are the NON boring powermetal bands.

I actually find some of Nevermore's work (especially on Politics Of Ecstasy) to be very interesting. It's just Warrel Dane's vocals that turn me away.

I really like his voice on everything before Enemies Of Reality. It's definitely not for everyone, though. It might be because The River Dragon Has Come and Believe In Nothing were some of the first metal songs I'd ever heard...

Warrel's vox turned me away at first but after I listened to them a few times and got blown away by Jeff Loomis' guitar work the vocals just grew on me and now I really think Warrel's voice is fucking amazing. He has quite the range.

I will never forget this part of The River Dragon Has Come:

IN THA MASS DEH-STRUK-SHUN THE BRINGAAAHHH SHOWS HIS...*cue fucking incredible falsetto*...FOoOoOoOoORRRRM!

Seven Witches is becoming one of my favorite power metal bands. Jack Frost just kills on guitar and James Rivera (ex - Helstar/Destiny's End, current - Distant Thunder) is a legend and always delivers very strongly. They were good before getting Rivera on Passage To The Otherside. City Of Lost Souls was a great album. Passage To The Otherside and better yet the new one Year Of The Witch is just amazing and killing me.

Other great power metal bands to check out --- Grave Digger, Running Wild, Blind Guardian, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Angra, Rage, Nightwish, Dionysus, Thunderstone, Stratovarius, Symphony X, and Hammerfall (and Cans the lead singer of Hammerfall's side project)

TheGraveDigger said:
Seven Witches is becoming one of my favorite power metal bands. Jack Frost just kills on guitar and James Rivera (ex - Helstar/Destiny's End, current - Distant Thunder) is a legend and always delivers very strongly.

Oh hell yeah. Seven Witches were ok before, but now with Jack Frost at the peak of his work and with James Rivera on the vocal helm, that band can do no wrong. :headbang:

I left four of my favorite power metal bands off the list *smacks myself in the head* - Edguy, Tad Morose, Children Of Bodom, and Brainstorm.

Some more very good ones I just thought of are Lost Horizon, Kamelot, Morgana Lefay, Iced Earth, Zandelle, Primal Fear, and Cage.

Heavenly, Sonata Arctica, Dragonforce, Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, Angra, Dark Moor, Symphony X, Rhapsody, Crystal Eyes, Galloglass, Oratory, Total Eclipse, Vanden Plas, Silent Force, Magic Kingdom, Seven Witches, Iron Savior, Falconer, Kenziner, Ayreon, Elegy, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Running Wild, Virgin Steele, Helstar, Fates Warning.

SanSebastian1190 said:
Heavenly, Sonata Arctica, Dragonforce, Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, Angra, Dark Moor, Symphony X, Rhapsody, Crystal Eyes, Galloglass, Oratory, Total Eclipse, Vanden Plas, Silent Force, Magic Kingdom, Seven Witches, Iron Savior, Falconer, Kenziner, Ayreon, Elegy, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Running Wild, Virgin Steele, Helstar, Fates Warning.

no, no, no, YES, no, y-no, no, YES, no, no, no, haven't heard, no, yes, no, no, YES, yes (kind of...), haven't heard, no, no, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES. Way to redeem at the end.

Why do Hammerfall keep getting mentioned? Monotonous Helloween-worship with a side order of homosexuality? I'll pass.

The same goes for Sonata Artica, except that they're also pansy fairies musically. No bite to their riffs.

This thread is supposedly about non-boring power metal, right?

THE KING IS DEAD, THE KING IS DEEEEAAAD!!!

Decadence of Dignity from Falconer is a catchy cool song.

For Sonata Arctica, I'm not enthusiastic about the direction they're going, but I think Ecliptica and Silence are really good albums. I think 8th Commandment, San Sebastian, Wolf & Raven, Weballergy, Blank File, and Destruction Preventer all have a fair amount of bite.

Here's a few more bands I don't find boring: Heaven's Gate, Savatage, Crimson Glory, Thunderstone, Labyrinth, Gothic Knights, Onward, Persuader, Wizard.

Here's what I find boring: Pegazus, most Hammerfall, Primal Fear, Brainstorm, Symphorce, most Jag Panzer, most Steel Prophet, new Iced Earth.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Why do Hammerfall keep getting mentioned? Monotonous Helloween-worship with a side order of homosexuality? I'll pass.

The same goes for Sonata Artica, except that they're also pansy fairies musically. No bite to their riffs.

This thread is supposedly about non-boring power metal, right?

THE KING IS DEAD, THE KING IS DEEEEAAAD!!!

Where did you go that turned you into somebody who had taste in power metal?! :p

SanSebastian1190 said:
Gothic Knights

Here's what I find boring: Brainstorm, most Jag Panzer

I've only heard "Kingdom Of The Knights" from Gothic Knights, and it seemed to be an album that tried really fucking hard to sound like Jag Panzer's "Ample Destruction", but the wimpy, lifeless, harmless, and off-key singer kept it from happening.

Oh, and NO.

Hammerfall are awesome and Sonata Arctica is supposed to be awesome or something but they bore me to shit at moments. Seven Witches is a great band. I saw someone mention Onward. Their album Reawaken is awesome. There's not any high pitch thrown in there but the singer is pretty good and I like the guitar riffs through out.

I'm listening to Onward - Reawaken for the first time, and holy shit, you guys are right: THIS FUCKING RULES.

No wonder Century Media dropped these guys, this sounds like HEAVY FUCKING METAL. Helloween - Walls Of Jerhico + Rvnning Wild + Omen = ONWARD. :headbang: