What are you learning?

circular picking :erk: Any advice or tips?

Why the ":erk:"? Don't practice it if you don't want to :lol:

Are you talking about how people pick with their fingers like Yngwie, Batio and probably more? I would say just watch vids and mimic their technique.

How is that better than just going up and down?

That's what I thought.

Actually, using less wrist motion and more from the index and thumb enables you to play faster. You are using smaller movements and ties in with the old "less is more" saying. I would say my picking technique is pretty clean and I'm am able to play fast runs effectively but I want to be able to push my limits.

"Actually, using less wrist motion and more from the index and thumb enables you to play faster. You are using smaller movements and ties in with the old "less is more" saying."

Nope. You're not at a serious advantage with either method (though arguments in favor of wrist motion are more easily found and generally more valid). The minimum amount of motion required to play something is the same regardless of where the motion is generated from. A case could be made, however, that wrist motion is more economical because fewer joints are being used. Either method requires practice in acheiving a consistent use of economic motion though. One thing you WILL notice as a downside to picking from the fingers is a limited dynamic range. In addition, you'll inevitably have to use the wrist and/or elbow in conjunction with the fingers for certain techniques (string skipping, sweeps in excess of 3 strings, strumming/chordal playing) just because it's a more natural movement in many cases.

All that being said, I'm not in the business of calling any functional technique "bad". As far as I'm concerned just do what feels natural, so long as it's not causing any injury in the long run (tendonitis, carpal tunnel, and the various other thigs that an result from improper technique). I cringe when I watch certain players' technique. Marty Friedman is the first name that comes to mind...but as horrible as his right hand looks, it works for him and he hasn't sustained any kind of wrist problems that I know of. I've found that wrist motion is the most economical and effective in pretty much every playing situation, but if something else works for other people then so be it. I will say though, you are wasting your time if you are making a large effort to switch to circular picking from whatever method you are using if you think you'll be faster as a result.

If you want some players to check out to see some circular picking in action, look no further than Eric johnson (I'm an Eric Johnson fanboi btw). He even talks about it in this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ACH5Z_YPmVg

2:42 is where he starts on about it. I've noticed Michael Romeo using circular picking too. Both players are anything but lacking in ability. On the other hand both Michael Angelo Batio and Guthrie Govan are strongly opposed to circular picking. My point being that you'll get amazing players on both sides of the fence. You will notice though, with enough research, that most people who circular pick do so because they unkowningly developed the habit early on as opposed to most wrist-pickers who developed that technique as the result of a very conscious effort to use what they found to be the most economical method.

/endrant

If you want some players to check out to see some circular picking in action, look no further than Eric johnson (I'm an Eric Johnson fanboi btw). He even talks about it in this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ACH5Z_YPmVg

Holy shit, that's how I pick :lol:

I actually compared his picking hand to mine and saw barely any difference (other than him being infinity times better than I am of course, but essentially it's the same). Not just with the circular picking, but the shit he does at the start too.

Thanks, very insightfull post. If you want to watch a guy with really good circular picking technique, check out this guy. He is a member here and is proof that you can play extremely fast using thumb movements. He is the main reason I'm altering my technique, along with guys like Romeo, Malmsteen, and EJ.

I don't even know, all I know is my picking technique is like his. And I move my thumb lots to change the way I hold the pick when I go into shred mode, like what he does in the circular picking part.

My style has evolved so that I don't change at all when I shred. My pick stays on the side of my index finger but I can sorta rotate my thumb a bit if its feeling a bit uncomfortable. Maybe I'll do a vid one day (ie: probably not, but I want to nonetheless)

I don't even know, all I know is my picking technique is like his. And I move my thumb lots to change the way I hold the pick when I go into shred mode, like what he does in the circular picking part.

I do that a bit too (adjusting the grip that is), but it's mostley because the picks I use are extremely slippery after more than an hour or so of use once the coating wears off. The grip/position in which I hold the pick stays the same regardless of what I'm doing though.

I opened up my classical notebook today and refreshed my memory on a lot of pieces I learned over the past year. It would've went WAY better if I didn't tear off my thumb nail and ring-finger nail while bowling the other day