What are you learning?

Trying This Godless Endeavor by Nevermore. The third ending on the bridge is killing me at speed.

The solos are also pretty hard too :(.

Trying This Godless Endeavor by Nevermore. The third ending on the bridge is killing me at speed.

The solos are also pretty hard too :(.

Are you talking about the diminished sweeping patterns? If so, I'm having a hard time as well. The main sweeping solo isn't as difficult in my opinion

circular picking :erk: Any advice or tips?

I have been practicing my ass off and I have seen results! I still mainly play with my wrist (it is almost unimaginable to do otherwise unless you anchor your picking hand) but I also use subtle finger motions. I have found this to have helped my alt picking considerably (or maybe it was the many hours put into practicing). It is definitely possible to achieve fast speeds using thumb/index movements.

I'm so set in my ways after 25+ years of playing that it gets extremely hard to learn new things. You tend to fall back on your old tricks. Any other long time players notice that?

That and having no personal time due to job, family and all the responsibility that goes with it.

I'm so set in my ways after 25+ years of playing that it gets extremely hard to learn new things. You tend to fall back on your old tricks. Any other long time players notice that?

That and having no personal time due to job, family and all the responsibility that goes with it.

Well I'm not a long time player (3 yrs) but this definitely applied to me. Once you build muscle memory it is very hard to change your technique. I can only imagine how difficult it is for some who has played +10 years.

Well I'm not a long time player (3 yrs) but this definitely applied to me. Once you build muscle memory it is very hard to change your technique. I can only imagine how difficult it is for some who has played +10 years.

Yup...it ain't easy...especially if guitar can't be a No. 1 priority.

There's a great generation of fine young players. I find it amazing some of the techniques these kids have mastered...sweeping, string skipping, pedal tones...then again, if this is what you are brought up on. I already had many of my chops by the time Yngwie came on the scene to shake it up. No one knew what the hell he was doing let alone being able to play it. It was like he came from outer space quickly followed by a landing of clones.

I think the last thing I did was learn how to play The Weak Willed by All That Remains like three days ago. If I recall correctly, all I was missing were the solos :\ I can't sweep pick worth jack. :(

I'm a very limited sweep picker...I have a few simple sweeps I do. I just can't get it...I also don't have much time to practice. My finger knuckles just are naturally stiff and won't allow for the rolling...it sucks...I just physically can't do it.

my sweep picking has improved drastically since I realised you have to roll your fingers across barrs instead of just planting them... :lol: I'm finally starting to get Smoke And Mirrors intro almost up to speed... :D

If I'm interpreting that correctly (about the planting)then that's actually pretty funny:lol: I thought I was hot shit when I first figured out the concept of sweeping. It was probably about 4 or 5 years ago and I was learning the solo to Metallica's Master of Puppets and after not having much luck alternate picking it (like I probably would nowadays) I somehow got the idea to sweep it. Of course, I didn't know the technique had a name....or that I WASN'T the first person to think of doing that...OR that I was probably doing it sloppy as all hell:lol:

If I'm interpreting that correctly (about the planting)then that's actually pretty funny:lol: I thought I was hot shit when I first figured out the concept of sweeping. It was probably about 4 or 5 years ago and I was learning the solo to Metallica's Master of Puppets and after not having much luck alternate picking it (like I probably would nowadays) I somehow got the idea to sweep it. Of course, I didn't know the technique had a name....or that I WASN'T the first person to think of doing that...OR that I was probably doing it sloppy as all hell:lol:

Come on Meedles...give an old man some sweeping tips.

haha, I'm not talking about Classical guitar planting, but when I would try to sweep, I'd just chuck a bar chord on and then try and work around it, and obviously it would sound like crap... :lol: