What are you learning?

Yup, if only they would come. On the G3 tour, Petrucci and Portnoy mentioned they'd probably bring Dream Theater to Oz in support of the new album, there's an awful lot of people hoping Symphony X will do the same. Maybe we should make a thread for all the Aussies to post in like a petition to show the guys how many of us there are... Although I hope they don't miss out Adelaide, cos I don't know anyone else from down here who likes 'em... shame really...

Oh, I haven't been on here that long, so I guess I can be excused for my ignorance when posting another... haha, seriously though, this forum is a Godsend, it's so cool to be able to talk to other fans of the same music from all over the world!

Overture 1928 is coming on well in case you actually care. I can now play all the start up to speed, finally the big run and the cool 3/4 /5/4 riff... up to speed... anyway, just working on a little bit at a time... It'll get there.

Yeah, it's coming along. It's the first proper song I've really worked on, and I haven't had heaps of time, but it's progressing at a reasonable rate... It's probably one of Dream Theater's 'easier' songs, but it still has it's challenges. I had to really focus to get that first big run accurately out of that first syncopated bit, but with the help of a metronome it's pretty much there... I think I need to grow bigger hands... :lol: Some of the stuff is a bit of a reach, especially up to speed... Anyways, I'll let ya know when I've nailed it...

The only songs by other people/bands i learn are for work....so this last term its been lots of

Jet
Wolfmother
AC/DC
Nickelback

you just have to bite your tongue and think of the $$$

the last song i learned for myself was

"I'll Wait" by Van Halen for my band in 2004....that was fun working out how to play the keyboard parts for guitar.

Sweet. Are you using the guitar pro tab for this song? I can't find a really good powertab for it.

What the hell happened to learning shit by ear...spending 3 weeks trying to work out what the notes are in some fast run by Yngwie or Marty Friedman. This younger generation is soft.