What are you learning?

What the hell happened to learning shit by ear...spending 3 weeks trying to work out what the notes are in some fast run by Yngwie or Marty Friedman. This younger generation is soft.
You know, I ponder this all the time, and I've just come to the conclusion that it's there for a reason and that reason is to use it.

What the hell happened to learning shit by ear...spending 3 weeks trying to work out what the notes are in some fast run by Yngwie or Marty Friedman. This younger generation is soft.

^Nope, that's what happens to people once they get older :heh:

Tali, you hit him high, I'll hit him LOW.
Time to teach these young whippersnappers not to fuck with the old metal folk! :lol:

I ruined a couple turntables slowing down RECORDS to figure out riffs back in the day.

I do actually agree with Ptah though, if the technology is there to use, use it. I don't feel I learn stuff better if I spend 2 weeks on it by ear, instead of digging out the tab for a tune. I will say, NOTHING beats a great set of ears...

J-Dubya

Edit:Currently working on Vaseline Buisness by Freak Kitchen.....

I find that a mix of the 2 works really well. Usually for keys I just look at the tab to get a general idea, and then just work out the rest by ear. I think most ppl would agree that guitar tabs have really shitty keys parts, but they're usually in key which is enough for a kick start. And also, if I was ever to cover a song I wouldnt really want to play it exactly the same as the original version which is another reason why learning it note for note isnt that great. Unless you need to sync with guitar.... then it gets annoying since u cant just make it up on the spot.

Save it for ProgPower J-Dub, when everyone's good and drunk :heh::D I'll definitely be attending after seeing the lineup this year.

Cool, see you there! Perhaps a swirlee in the fountain is in order? :Smokedev:

Seriously, I hope you make it, it's ALWAYS a good time!

J-Dubya

Currently learning Eugene's Trick Bag with the help of my teacher. I'm at the part that goes up and down the neck really fast... it's insane... I'm playing it at only 84-88 BPM at the moment.