What are you learning?

Right now, I am learning Overture 1928 by Dream Theater for a showcase at my school. It's pretty hard, but I think it's the easist out of all Petrucci's stuff. Right now I am just trying that fast descending scale lick at 0:36. Definately the hardest thing I have attempted. Other than that, I just learned Welcome To Bucketheadland, which is hella easy and fun.

Right now, I am learning Overture 1928 by Dream Theater for a showcase at my school. It's pretty hard, but I think it's the easist out of all Petrucci's stuff. Right now I am just trying that fast descending scale lick at 0:36. Definately the hardest thing I have attempted. Other than that, I just learned Welcome To Bucketheadland, which is hella easy and fun.

Cool man, I'm also learning that song! I agree, it is definately a challenge, but yep, most of Petrucci's stuff is much, much harder... :erk: hehe, that run is a challenge, but thanks to muscle memory it'll come... Some of the runs later on aren't as straightfoward... I'm stuck at the end of the 1st guitar solo... Oh well, good luck with it man! :headbang:

the mrs bought me a new acoustic guitar for x-mas so the last week i've been learning/trying to rework some discarded Taliesin songs so that they can be played live again in an acoustic form.

Cool man, I'm also learning that song! I agree, it is definately a challenge, but yep, most of Petrucci's stuff is much, much harder... :erk: hehe, that run is a challenge, but thanks to muscle memory it'll come... Some of the runs later on aren't as straightfoward... I'm stuck at the end of the 1st guitar solo... Oh well, good luck with it man! :headbang:

yeah, the end is really challenging, but a day with a metronome will get it down.

But I am a bit confused on the muscle memory thing. I can play the lick relatively fast, but once I get it down really solid, the next day, will it still be that solid, or will I have to fucking metronome it again?

Well my question was, if you get something down really good and solid one day, the next day will it still be that solid?

But I am a bit confused on the muscle memory thing. I can play the lick relatively fast, but once I get it down really solid, the next day, will it still be that solid, or will I have to fucking metronome it again?

I found it was best actually playing it along with the actual cd. It definately is more fun than a metronome... I think if its crap the next day, then it's not really that solid is it? I also have some trouble with consistancy. I don't think anyone can really say they've nailed a song unless they can just pull it out of nowhere and play it very close to perfect. Nothing will ever be exactly perfect... :p

Gees I wish I could play by ear as well as read notation... it would make it a lot easier when I don't have the music in front of me...:erk:

I'm sure it is, I shall endeavor to improve myself in all possible areas of skill in relation to guitar... it's wierd, some people are naturally very good with their ear, like you MrFast, as I can see by some of the songs that you learn, but others are good at reading notation. Very few are fluent at both. I know some are, but not many that's for sure...

It's like something Jason Becker said.
"Learning to play by ear was the greatest thing that ever happened to me. When I was trying to learn stuff like Mozart, Stravinsky, and Van Halen, I always learned it by ear. I always played the licks wrongly, but those mistakes became my own licks, and helped developed my style."