What are you listening to?

Cynic's Kindly Bent to Free Us streaming in its entirety at pitchfork.

I think Paul Masvidal's self-description, "Experimental Modern Rock," best fits Cynic's slow evolution away from their death metal roots. Love his solos on this album. Very fluid and complex without ever feeling technical or descending into fret wank.

I quite like it. Not because it is blasphemous (though that adds a plus), but because it's fun in a...fun way. Plus, it's Gary Oldman. And Marion Cotillard.

New Chelsea Wolfe video.

Apparently, this song was used in Game of Thrones trailer or something. I wouldn't know really, never seen the series.
Anyway, the song is great, and so is the video, but I did like her previous album(s) more than this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

'Cause it seems it's a Depeche day for me and 'cause this is my favourite Depeche song :D

For my tastes, Depeche Mode doesn't get much better than:

In Your Room is probably my favorite song ever in terms of the production, and Alan Wilder's finest moment with the band, (two drum kits in two different psychoacoustic spaces? Getoutahere!). SoFAD was not as consistently written as Violator, but my gods did it sound gorgeous. Few albums have ever been so well engineered. Think I'd put Peter Gabriel's So up there in the same class, but not many others.

Songs of Faith and Devotion is hands down the best Depeche album in my books - it is "Music with rocks in" and things have been going downhill since the unsung hero Alan Wilder left. But when it comes to songs I really like Never Let Me Down Again best.
Inexplicable, really, considering that there are gems such as

and

and

But maybe the reason is that I have this mental image and feel good vibe from "101" of thousands of arms waving in the air.
Whereas the SoFAD is just so full of pain and suffering (not that the other Depeche albums are jolly), that one would literally want to slit their wrists, while listening to it.

Speaking of...been getting awfully close to getting a bass guitar for about a month, (might as well, since I already play guitar more like a bad bassist than a bad guitarist), and that's got me listening to The Cure again. Simon Gallup was always one of my favorite bassists and terribly underrated because there's so little flash to his playing, but on so many great songs from the band his playing is the song and the rest is atmosphere.

Foo Fighters video evening, for no apparent reason.
One of the few, if not the only band which I discovered on my own and loved when I was 13 years old and still love today.

Ah, youth...

And speaking of back in the day -- my bassist fixation has me revisiting another favorite, King's X from their 1989 masterpiece, Gretchen Goes to Nebraska:

...or for a more rocking song from Faith Hope Love:

...though the live videos don't capture the all out growl of his 12 string bass the way the albums did. Man, that thing sounded just huge, especially in a power trio format where Pinnick was holding down the fort all by himself as Tabor ripped into one of his bluesy solos.