what are you looking forward to?

This will be my 7th Opeth show. High On Fire weren't allowed on the bill? Huh?

Nope, High on Fire couldn't play, just because of their name. Within the last year or two, the House of Blues (Where I saw Opeth) has taken a little more strict approach to their concerts....at least in Orlando & California, where both are on property owned by the Walt Disney company. Any band that might be the least bit detrimental to family entertainment has been removed from the bill...and shows have been cancelled outright.

Many of us at the show assumed that's the reason why HOF were kicked off the show...and we all booed the hell out of the announcement from Mikael Akerfeldt when he told us.

high on fire kinda underwelmed when i saw them with opeth, i just felt every time mat went into a solo it broke the song, they would be a lot beter live if they got a rythm player

high on fire kinda underwelmed when i saw them with opeth, i just felt every time mat went into a solo it broke the song, they would be a lot beter live if they got a rythm player

I also saw them with Opeth, and I thought they were god-awful. I went outside until they finished. Maybe if they had better sound I wouldn't have hated there performance so much, but then again, maybe I just think they blow. :loco:

But theres a difference between ones that are on Disneyland property and ones that aren't.

Isn't the HOB in Orlando part of Downtown Disney????
That's quite different than being next to the Magic Kingdom.

They will take your $$$$ for beer, but god forbid HIGH ON FIRE plays.

They certainly have no problem booking CANNIBAL CORPSE at any OTHER HOB location. Hell (pun intended!), ROTTING CHRIST played the HOB in Chicago many years ago I recall.

Isn't the HOB in Orlando part of Downtown Disney????
That's quite different than being next to the Magic Kingdom.

They will take your $$$$ for beer, but god forbid HIGH ON FIRE plays.

They certainly have no problem booking CANNIBAL CORPSE at any OTHER HOB location. Hell (pun intended!), ROTTING CHRIST played the HOB in Chicago many years ago I recall.

Spirit Seed is correct, based on what he posted above regarding the House of Blues locations on Disney's property in Orlando and Anaheim. Downtown Disney is still Disney property, and sees quite a bit of tourist traffic, as that is the main shopping village.

Nick Van Dyk (guitarist/songwriter for Redemption) is employed as a senior executive by Disney and posted this on the Perpetual Motion forum a while back in response to metal shows being cancelled or moved from these two House of Blues locations.

http://pmx2.krose.org/forum?action=...328437&no_thread_bumping=1&refresh=1241189452

Paying guests with little children complained about knuckle-dragging, pierced foul-mouthed weirdos with blasphemies, nudity, profanity (in some cases all three) going on and/or on their T-shirts, so Disney responded on its property.

It has little to do with the bands themselves. Disney just doesn't want a few hundred crazy metalheads gathered on their property causing trouble or annoying their guests.

Death Is This Communion just sounds sooo much better on the album than live. I didn't think they were any good till I listened to MP3s either, so you guys should give it a chance if you haven't. And what does "had to endure Baroness" mean anyway, they were great openers.

And what does "had to endure Baroness" mean anyway, they were great openers.

Eh, maybe it's because I haven't heard them on album yet, and my first experience was live. It just sounded, on that night anyway, like every song was the same, and nothing really struck me as being awesome. I spent more time at the bar in their set than I did for the rest of the show. I'm more than willing to give them another shot...but first impressions were not good.

Yea, opinions, subjective, etc. I get it :)

But yea, I was with like 10 guys and everyone basically thought Baroness were really energetic and interesting and High On Fire were boring at the time. Probably one of the best openers I've seen (I haven't seen a lot but still). Another was Pelican, who imo outplayed Isis when I saw them in May.

Either way, both bands were more enjoyable on mp3 so definitely give it a shot if you feel like it.