what are you reading?

Just finished Reading The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, and The Chill for an elective course. Pretty great read for what was probably trash books in the 20s, 30s and 60s. I'm also in the middle of The Picture of Dorian Gray which is just absolutely tits as far as I'm concerned.

Finished reading 'Good Omens' recently and now down to The Poetic Edda...just to refresh my mind. ^Yeah, Wilde's got everything in that one.

Reading two right now: the new Eve novel, Templar One...which is really amazing if you like Eve Online.

The other one I'm reading is absolutely the most disturbing, disgusting, interesting book I've read in a long, long time: Memoirs of a Gnostic Dwarf. It's about the fictional memoirs of a dwarf in the service of Pope Leo in the 15th century...complete with all the disgusting, perverted, filthiness Rome was known for. It's fiction but it's historically accurate. It's great, I highly recommend it. It opens with the dwarf having to witness the Pope getting his anal boils and lesions removed from his ass, due to taking it in the ass too many times. It's amazing.

Derek, it is a book I think you will absolutely love. When I started reading it I immediately thought of you. Pick it up, you won't regret it. It's written very well, and although it's in English it doesn't read like some hack trying to translate from Latin/Italian to English like *cough* Dan Brown *cough*.

When he goes into describing why the pope has such a crush on Raphael, and how beautiful he thinks he is and how he lusts after his supposedly gigantic member, it will have you rolling. He describes medieval Trastevere perfectly and how ugly the church, the people, and the country really were at that time. The descriptions for everything, even the nastiness, is very eloquent and entertaining, and it's all told in the first-person by this grotesquely deformed dwarf who resides in the highest levels of society of the time and how he got there.

It's almost like a Clive Barker novel, sans horror.

http://www.david-madsen.com/novels.html

So guess what... I just recently finished Atlas Shrugged. I never read it, and it was my first time. I had to read it carefully and with full attention to see what all the hype was by the Tea Baggers party.
After reading it, I have to say: Although the story starts slow and boring (at least to me) quickly you get into the characters, the outline, and ideas behind the words. Some parts I had to read twice just to make sure I completely understood the carefully chosen words...
The book holds an amazing philosophy, great, and smart quotes that I'm going to carry with me for a life-time, but having said that... The fact that the Tea-Baggers take this book as a second bible is astonishing, mainly because it is obvious how little they got from it.
This is one of those books that need to be re-read, and I will.
Good read... Life changing? No, but definitely recommended.

Also, I just got these 3 books from Amazon and I am already 1/4 in the first one (LOVE Rushdie! <3 )

rushdie.jpg

31booEocq0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

jacobs_year-of-living-biblically.jpg

^ A. J Jacobs is awesome!

I read Atlas Shrugged a few years ago and it did change my perspective on a few things, for a while atleast. overall its just a good story. The movie sucked though.