What defines emo?

Why is there a "real" defition for everything.

Real emo stood for emotional hardcore - bands like Rites of Spring, Dag Nasty, Gray Matter and Texas is the Reason.

This music kicked ass. (in particular RoS and GM, awesome bands)

Modern emo has nothing to do with this and is just crappy whiney pop.

If you try to play rock but have a strong desire to get fucked in the ass, your emo as fuck. I don't care what defines it as a type, I don't want it around me. :puke:
Agreed. This shit needs to end. Im tired of watching these faggots walk around with girls jeans on...no wonder why they act like pussies...the tight 1985' Jordache jeans from thrift store knocked their already small sacks into their stomachs. They sing like pussies because they ARE pussies.

you are all ignorant, retarded kids who know nothing about it and just want to act cool in front of the other ppl here, quit your whining

cuz these days are just diffrent. From the moment one of these bands became mainstream, everybody started painting there hair and acting all "emo" but these ppl are just posers. You'll never know a real emo when you see one.

::)

Not that I'll like emo because i know I won't.... but what bands are so called "Emo" nowadays... just curious to hear it... there was also another genre or perhaps it is the same genre... Screamo... read a article about it when I was bored...

Screamo is more leaning onto metal (like the album "The poison" by BFMV)
Emo is more punk-rock (like MCR)

those are the ones from these days, the older emo bands were diffrent

Emo is a term that cool, trendy people use to mock uncool people to enlargen their penises.

It is also what I call any remotely rock/metal music that has whiny band memebers who I don't like, as it annoys people.

Screamo is more leaning onto metal (like the album "The poison" by BFMV)
Emo is more punk-rock (like MCR)

those are the ones from these days, the older emo bands were diffrent

Emo is more pop-punk (like Angels and Airwaves). MCR is rock,and please don't insult punk-rock with them. The old emos were just gay hardcore, now they dropped the hardcore and are just gay.

Emo, as a music term, is short for emotive hardcore. If you want a good and detailed explanaition, go hereCrowquil's Emo Education Thread at Musicbanter

Only the first post really matters and keep in mind I did not right this, but a friend did. He did a great job of explaining what emo is in my opinion.

And anyone who says emo music sucks because it is emotional is wrong because all music is emotional.

Emo is more pop-punk (like Angels and Airwaves). MCR is rock,and please don't insult punk-rock with them. The old emos were just gay hardcore, now they dropped the hardcore and are just gay.
IMO MCR has a lot of things in the music that remind me of bands like Blink 182 and Sum41 who were actually punk-rock a few years ago.

What defines emo? I would have to say...poop.

I would have to say you are the definition of an idiot. Leave these comments behind in a serious discussion, please

IMO MCR has a lot of things in the music that remind me of bands like Blink 182 and Sum41 who were actually punk-rock a few years ago.

blink-182 and Sum41 were never punk-rock, they were (and have always been) pop/pop-punk. Punk-rock occurred in the 70s and as far as I know has been dead ever since the punk movement went underground and hardcore punk appeared in the early 80s. Bands that are punk-rock are The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, and MC5.
The new pop-punk has nothing to do with them. I agree with MCR being like them, but they are still a rock band, the others are pop-punk. Just because they have similar influences doesn't mean they are the same genre. That's why a lot of gay mallcore bands are being called metal.

All i know is that they look like fags and the guys like to kiss each other so they are fags and the girls need a good fucking up the ass. Yeah and what...

Screamo is music where all the vocals are screaming and the guitar isn't metal, and post hardcore is when theres no metal guitar and the vocals are singing and screaming.

And from what I see Emo sprang off of the pop-punk scene from a few years ago with bands like Sum 41. Simple Plan is a band that had "Emo" lyrics, and pop-punk instrumentals and was in the pop-punk scene.

Emo people are emotional people but usually are for stupid reasons.

And because the numbers of them are growing pop-punk bands such as fall out boy are becoming "Emo" and are posing for another genre to try and pick up more fans so the mainstream can make more money.

All i know is that they look like fags and the guys like to kiss each other so they are fags and the girls need a good fucking up the ass. Yeah and what...
You obviously know nothing

Obviously you suck the cock of gay emo bands.
you should really try to leave these comments behind and give valid arguements and listen to good advice of senior members

When you'r born, you are classified emo, not emo, or gay.

mmhm
when you're born, you were definitly classified retarded and unable to have a decent discussion

blink-182 and Sum41 were never punk-rock, they were (and have always been) pop/pop-punk. Punk-rock occurred in the 70s and as far as I know has been dead ever since the punk movement went underground and hardcore punk appeared in the early 80s. Bands that are punk-rock are The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, and MC5.
The new pop-punk has nothing to do with them. I agree with MCR being like them, but they are still a rock band, the others are pop-punk. Just because they have similar influences doesn't mean they are the same genre. That's why a lot of gay mallcore bands are being called metal.
well I'd say the line between punk-rock and pop-punk is very thin actually altough I do agree that real punk has been dead after the 70s

Emo is pop/rock/punk music, sometimes influenced by metal, with lyrics that deal with everyday human emotions.

I do not like it, not because it deals with emotions, but because:

a) It often deals with them as an immature teenager would. Emo is music targetted at youngsters because it suits the average teen mindset (I'm only 22 though, but really, most emo lyrics appear to be very immature to me, and I'm not even a mature person).
b) I simply dislike how emo music sounds, everything and anything poppy disturbs me.

Screamo and Metalcore are genres I can tolerate, but I don't prefer them.